Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • damnckenna
    • By damnckenna 10th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 2Thanks
    damnckenna
    Gladstone letter re: parking control management
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    Gladstone letter re: parking control management 10th Jul 17 at 12:21 PM
    Hi, so I've been reading through this thread and other websites for a few days now before posting this thread.

Back in january a PCN was incurred from parking control management (PCM)
    It and their NTK were ignored as well as the two subsequent letters from trace debt recovery.
    On fridaya letter from gladstones arrived informing me because the ticket is not paid, first £60, then £100 and now £160 they have been instructed to take legal action.
    And I must pay in 14 days to avoid further action.

now this is the interesting bit;
    The car was parked outside a house in a housing estate for a university, when you call up the parking people for a permit they say that the house in particular is not eligible for one because it is not on their system (its done by a private landlord)
    so there was no way to ever get a permit.
    This is why the ticket was ignored.
    PCM have not had any correspondence with the driver regarding this ticket.

How likely is it that I will receive an LBC or some form of court documents?
    Also what are the chances of me being able to negotiate a payment plan with them.
    the only reason I ask about a payment plan is it will be too time consuming for myself to defend such a relatively small amount in comparison to the time it will take?

And are there any other options available to me here?

I hope I havent asked any stupid questions, and thank you for any and all advice / answers
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 32,808 Posts
    • 16,839 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    Read up in the newbies FAQ thread on the debt collectors stage.

The ppc has 6 years to start legal proceedings

Come back to the newbies FAQ if you get court action for advice on how to defend it
    • damnckenna
    • By damnckenna 10th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    damnckenna
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    Hi, I've read the newbies thread, did it several times over.
    Surely this is beyond the debt collector stage now as i am no longer getting letters from trace recovery?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 32,808 Posts
    • 16,839 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:40 PM
    The debt collector stage can last the 6 years

Next stage from there is court action if they decide to go through with it

No point considering offering anything until until they go for a court claim
    Last edited by Quentin; 10-07-2017 at 12:42 PM.
    • damnckenna
    • By damnckenna 10th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    damnckenna
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    But I have a letter from gladstone solicitors telling me their client could instruct them to claim, so surely this is beyond that stage now given PCM have already instructed them to write to me?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    • 32,808 Posts
    • 16,839 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    No. it's just a threat intended to scare you into paying
    • damnckenna
    • By damnckenna 10th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    damnckenna
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    so should I just wait for the time being until I receive something else in 14 days?
    What is the likelihood of them contacting me again?
    Further, does me not responding at all at this stage work badly for me as i am not seen to be communicating?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 32,808 Posts
    • 16,839 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:53 PM
    Don't engage with them. That just lets them know you are worried and worth their while pressuring you.

Wait and see if you get a proper lbcca or court claim then come back for advice on that if it ever comes
    • damnckenna
    • By damnckenna 10th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    damnckenna
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    Can it not be inferred from the experience of other users on this board however that such an LBC will inevitably follow?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    • 50,098 Posts
    • 63,482 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    so should I just wait for the time being until I receive something else in 14 days?
    What is the likelihood of them contacting me again?
    Further, does me not responding at all at this stage work badly for me as i am not seen to be communicating?
    Originally posted by damnckenna
    It only looks 'bad' if you don't respond to a Letter before Claim, not just a threat. But having said that, I really like this suggested reply that you could adapt, provided last week courtesy of Johnersh:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72802210#post72802210

You can see his version was written about letters from 'WH' but you can change it to make sense, I expect, if you would rather respond then do so in a strong, attacking style.

Can it not be inferred from the experience of other users on this board however that such an LBC will inevitably follow?
    Originally posted by damnckenna
    I would say yes, and no response will stop a claim. You are likely to get a claim to defend but you are VERY likely to win, with our help.

PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• damnckenna
    • By damnckenna 10th Jul 17, 1:20 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    damnckenna
    Thank you for the advice

Given the amount of time a defence will take and just generally my peace of mind; i am willing to settle with them

In your experience how likely are they to accept payment plans?
    As Im a student and couldnt even afford to pay the ticket at the time if I wanted to

Thanks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    • 50,098 Posts
    • 63,482 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    I will not answer that - don't fund and sponsor the scam.

Be ashamed to even consider it. Umkomaas summed our thoughts up here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72773978#post72773978

We are passionate about this scam, you know.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• snnl
    • By snnl 10th Jul 17, 1:54 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    snnl
    Different circumstances as to why I got a ticket but exactly the same process has happened to you that happened to me - just goes to show its all churned out templates!

Basically, same as you, PCM got Gladstone's to contact me with a rather ambiguous letter (wasn't sure if it was an LBC or not) so I just did a little research and wrote back and treated it as if it was an LBC and told them exactly what I thought!

You can read it all in detail here if it helps: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5651827

FYI - I sent the letter to Gladstone's, who never replied, and also to PCM who replied with a "Thank you for you letter but your case is with Trace Debt Recovery etc..."

And have heard nothing since!

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by snnl; 10-07-2017 at 1:56 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

738Posts Today

5,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin