Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rewindrooms
    • By rewindrooms 10th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rewindrooms
    Self employed advice
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    Self employed advice 10th Jul 17 at 12:13 PM
    Hello,

I'm after some advice! I'm self employed and looking to move home this year but a little (very) confused about my options.

My wife and I moved into our home five years ago and took out a five-year mortgage that will end later this year. Since then I have become self employed. I have filled in self assessment for the last four years, but only worked full-time self employed for the last year, so I have three years of earning just a few thousand through self employment (in addition to my previous full-time job) and then around £28k last year after going full-time self employed. I'm on course to earn around the same again this year. But, am I right i thinking that getting a mortgage based on this will be tricky? My wife earns around £24k, we will have around £60k deposit (including original deposit, increased value in our current home and savings) for a new property worth around £220,000.

Basically, I'm just unsure whether we have absolutely any chance of doing this, or whether I would need at least one more year of full self-employment earnings before we can consider it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    Last edited by rewindrooms; 10-07-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 10th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 15,537 Posts
    • 7,881 Thanks
    ACG
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    Because of the size of your deposit, there are maybe 2-3 high street lenders who will consider you with the latest years figures only. There are also a few non high street lenders who would use latest years only - so to answer your question, you should be fine but we could be talking normal rates or a little above so your payments could vary.

Most will average out, which might put you a little on the shy side.

Grab a broker and I think you will be fine.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

387Posts Today

3,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin