Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 124Posts
    • 38Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet? 10th Jul 17 at 11:42 AM
    I am renting a flat to a couple on a 12 month tenancy agreement. When they applied they did not say anything about having a pet and in the tenancy agreement it states that tenants must get permission for any pets from the landlord first. I have been informed by a neighbour that one of the tenants has been seen going in and out of the flat with a dog, and the dog has also been seen in the garden. I asked the tenants about it and they claimed that it didn't belong to them but was a friend's who had been visiting or had left the dog there for a short time. I told them that I did not want a dog in the flat at all even if it was a friend's and that they should stop allowing the friend to bring the dog in, but it has been seen again since by my neighbour who watches and keeps me informed, when the woman tenant is around she often seems to have the dog with her.
    I think that the dog is probably really theirs or has been staying with them and I don't want it there. How can I go about ending their tenancy for breach of contract? Will I have to obtain proof that the dog is there? Does it matter legally whether it belongs to them or not?
    They also pre-paid all 12 months of their rent before moving in and have eight months remaining on the tenancy, will this make it harder for me to get them out?
Page 4
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 10th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Why would the agent say anything about it? It would be like going to an estate agent to sell your house and him saying "Now, you do understand you'll have to move out after it's sold, yes?"

It's basic - you're expected to know these things if you are looking to rent. There's not any other sort of contract.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 12,865 Posts
    • 35,333 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I don't understand why anyone would rent at all on these forever contracts, it is bizarre and the agent didn't say anything about it at all. I didn't think I had to be an expert since I was going through a professional and trusted them. They found the tenant and did the referencing.
    Originally posted by higgledypiggledy_pop
    Well - you certainly tell the agent exactly what this tenant is like (ie just in case they are one of the more responsible ones and the tenant has lied to them as well).
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 12,865 Posts
    • 35,333 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    You know what's bizarre - someone running a business with no knowledge of what's involved. Sell up and move on.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Some people have been brought up to be responsible - and it sometimes takes a while to realise there are quite a few others that havent had similar upbringing
    ploughing my own furrow...the rain begins with a single drop...

#I'mWithNoel
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    Some people have been brought up to be responsible - and it sometimes takes a while to realise there are quite a few others that havent had similar upbringing
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention

Is that an excuse then? Just curious why your fiery judgment of morality only flows one way?
    • Soundgirlrocks
    • By Soundgirlrocks 10th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    Soundgirlrocks
    Tell them I have very valid reasons for specifying no pets in the contract - ie my allergy and protecting my garden from toileting and my home from smelling doggy and say that they had the shortest possible notice period I could legally give them to get out. Followed by telling them the costs they would already incur for new carpets/professional cleaning/any putting right the garden and that I suggested they don't try and "stand on their rights/forget their responsibilities" or I'd be looking to see if I could get compensation as well for problems/hassle they were causing me and see if I could ensure an accurate reference about them got passed onto potential future landlords.
    You clearly know nothing both the law around being a landlord as your comment I've highlighted in red shows. It stops being your home the moment you sign a contract with the tenant. You can not legally deduct from their deposit for new carpets - thats betterment, and you have no right to any compensation for what you perceive as "problems/hassle". Coupled with your suggestion the OP blackmail their tenants, and use intimidating and threatening behaviour I really hope no one has the misfortune to rent a property from you.
    Last edited by Soundgirlrocks; 10-07-2017 at 2:34 PM.
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 10th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 3,092 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    OP, please, find yourself a basic landlording course somewhere reputable. Buy a good book. Read through G_M's links. Anything to get yourself up to speed. You are messing with someone's home. Take it seriously!
    Me escondo detras de mi lengua... tengo miedo de que me entiendas... pero me gustara que me entendases ¡Ayudame!
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 10th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    It's hardly harassment to stand outside on the street, or send some texts..... oh wait....
    Originally posted by Guest101
    I admit that my neighbour is nosy but I was glad she told me about this as I am not happy at all. She took photos of the dog and sent them to me because of its appearance, she was afraid of it. She said it lunged at her on the pavement, but in reality I think that may be an exaggeration, as she also told me that my previous tenant was a 'lady of the night' seeing clients in the flat but in reality she just had a new boyfriend every three nights.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 10th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    You clearly know nothing both the law around being a landlord as your comment I've highlighted in red shows. It stops being your home the moment you sign a contract with the tenant. You can not legally deduct from their deposit for new carpets - thats betterment, and you have no right to any compensation for what you perceive as "problems/hassle". Coupled with your suggestion the OP blackmail their tenants, and use intimidating and threating behaviour I really hope no one has the misfortune to rent a property from you.
    Originally posted by Soundgirlrocks
    If you have any experience with that poster you should have known you could have stopped after the first four words.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 10th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 5,999 Thanks
    lovinituk
    I admit that my neighbour is nosy but I was glad she told me about this as I am not happy at all. She took photos of the dog and sent them to me because of its appearance, she was afraid of it. She said it lunged at her on the pavement, but in reality I think that may be an exaggeration, as she also told me that my previous tenant was a 'lady of the night' seeing clients in the flat but in reality she just had a new boyfriend every three nights.
    Post the pics so we can see then. Probably just a husky or malamute!
    The following is my forum signature and not necessarily a response to your post:
    "To be truly successful you must live a few years of your life like others won’t so you may live the rest of your life like others can’t"
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    I admit that my neighbour is nosy but I was glad she told me about this as I am not happy at all. - your happiness is not relevant. She took photos of the dog and sent them to me because of its appearance, she was afraid of it. - her phobias are not relevant. She said it lunged at her on the pavement - why is she telling you? , but in reality I think that may be an exaggeration, as she also told me that my previous tenant was a 'lady of the night' seeing clients in the flat but in reality she just had a new boyfriend every three nights - so is unreliable as a witness...
    One last time....

Them having a dog, of any breed, is not relevant. If you continue to spy on your neighbours, you could find yourself getting your collar felt.

I'd suggest you concentrate on your own responsibilities, as you are liable for a lot more than they are if things go wrong.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 10th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Sounds like just the kind of person you should be listening to.

Forget the dog; it's the least of your worries. Do as people have suggested and find out about the laws on renting.
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 10th Jul 17, 2:39 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    BINGO!

Take photos of the dog/recordings of it howling/etc and that's where you tell these tenants to forget about "standing on their rights - whilst carefully forgetting their responsibilities" and you'd like them out pronto or else you'll be going into that further.....

That's two lies they've told you now
    I don't think I would be able to threaten them to report the dog, I can't prove that it's not legal just because it looks strange, I would have to find a way to test its DNA....
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 10th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 5,999 Thanks
    lovinituk
    I would have to find a way to test its DNA....
    Troll...lol.....lol
    The following is my forum signature and not necessarily a response to your post:
    "To be truly successful you must live a few years of your life like others won’t so you may live the rest of your life like others can’t"
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 10th Jul 17, 2:40 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    She's said it's a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. Google them. They look like wolves. I'm not sure how anything could look any more like a wolf than one of those, to be honest.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 10th Jul 17, 2:43 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 5,999 Thanks
    lovinituk
    She's said it's a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog. Google them. They look like wolves. I'm not sure how anything could look any more like a wolf than one of those, to be honest.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    She's (if we're referring to OP?) said a lot of things, doesn't make them true, hence why I said post the pics.

I hadn't heard of that breed before but just looked it up - they look like a husky/alsatian cross!
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 10th Jul 17, 2:44 PM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I don't understand why anyone would rent at all on these forever contracts, it is bizarre and the agent didn't say anything about it at all. I didn't think I had to be an expert since I was going through a professional and trusted them. They found the tenant and did the referencing.
    Oh dear. yep, definitely sell up.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 10th Jul 17, 2:47 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 2,501 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    She's (if we're referring to OP?) said a lot of things, doesn't make them true, hence why I said post the pics.

I hadn't heard of that breed before but just looked it up - they look like a husky/alsatian cross!
    My point being that if the tenant claims it's a Czech Wolfdog, I don't know how anyone could look at it and say "No, it isn't, it's more wolflike than that."
    It's far more likely to be the recognised, legal dog breed that they say it is than an illegal half wolf hybrid that somebody has imported with enormous difficulty and expense. So much more likely, that the latter alternative can be discarded.
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 10th Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    The tenant has already admitted it is a breed of wolfdog, one which is legal. But apparently it doesn't matter what kind of breed it is, even if it is an illegal wild animal it is free to tear the place up and no-one can do anything. I think I will suggest that they get themselves more animals and turn the place into a petting zoo, where the animals TEAR YOUR BELONGINGS TO SHREDS AND PEE ALL OVER YOU
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 2:51 PM
    • 14,482 Posts
    • 14,182 Thanks
    Guest101
    The tenant has already admitted it is a breed of wolfdog, one which is legal. But apparently it doesn't matter what kind of breed it is, even if it is an illegal wild animal it is free to tear the place up and no-one can do anything. I think I will suggest that they get themselves more animals and turn the place into a petting zoo, where the animals TEAR YOUR BELONGINGS TO SHREDS AND PEE ALL OVER YOU

I seriously hope the tenants come on this forum and get advice to tell you to F......
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 10th Jul 17, 2:51 PM
    • 5,353 Posts
    • 5,999 Thanks
    lovinituk
    My point being that if the tenant claims it's a Czech Wolfdog, I don't know how anyone could look at it and say "No, it isn't, it's more wolflike than that."
    It's far more likely to be the recognised, legal dog breed that they say it is than an illegal half wolf hybrid that somebody has imported with enormous difficulty and expense. So much more likely, that the latter alternative can be discarded.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I'm taking everything the OP says with a pinch of salt. We don't even know if the tenant really exists, let alone that they said it was a Czech Wolfdog. Now with the OPs DNA testing comment I think its all bull$h1t anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,670Posts Today

8,056Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin