Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 148Posts
    • 47Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet? 10th Jul 17 at 11:42 AM
    I am renting a flat to a couple on a 12 month tenancy agreement. When they applied they did not say anything about having a pet and in the tenancy agreement it states that tenants must get permission for any pets from the landlord first. I have been informed by a neighbour that one of the tenants has been seen going in and out of the flat with a dog, and the dog has also been seen in the garden. I asked the tenants about it and they claimed that it didn't belong to them but was a friend's who had been visiting or had left the dog there for a short time. I told them that I did not want a dog in the flat at all even if it was a friend's and that they should stop allowing the friend to bring the dog in, but it has been seen again since by my neighbour who watches and keeps me informed, when the woman tenant is around she often seems to have the dog with her.
    I think that the dog is probably really theirs or has been staying with them and I don't want it there. How can I go about ending their tenancy for breach of contract? Will I have to obtain proof that the dog is there? Does it matter legally whether it belongs to them or not?
    They also pre-paid all 12 months of their rent before moving in and have eight months remaining on the tenancy, will this make it harder for me to get them out?
Page 16
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 13th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 2,029 Posts
    • 3,052 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    This is spying. Your neighbour really needs to stop doing this, she is invading your tenants' privacy.
    Originally posted by SuboJvR
    This surely depends who was on the inside of the window.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 13th Jul 17, 1:59 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    lovinituk
    You could have fooled me, just last month I caught a gang of youths in the act of trying to steal my car and the police were not interested at all. Meanwhile in the park across the road, the same youths openly pass suspicious packages back and forward between themselves whilst hiding under their hoodies, and smoke 'wacky baccy' in front of school children who are playing on the swings, and no-one lifts a finger!
    Originally posted by higgledypiggledy_pop
    Yet you expect them to do something about your situation that may or may not be fraud yet as you haven't determined if the agent has disappeared yet or not?!
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    You could have fooled me, just last month I caught a gang of youths in the act of trying to steal my car and the police were not interested at all. Meanwhile in the park across the road, the same youths openly pass suspicious packages back and forward between themselves whilst hiding under their hoodies, and smoke 'wacky baccy' in front of school children who are playing on the swings, and no-one lifts a finger!
    where abouts is this then?....
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    My 'behaviour' so far involves one polite call to the tenants, and I really can't control my neighbour, she is an independent person. I am going to make another polite request, to inspect as soon as I can find someone to do it. The neighbour has offered to do it for free but I am not sure that is a good idea.
    Your behaviour involves failing to protect £4,000 of their money!
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 13th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    gingercordial
    My 'behaviour' so far involves one polite call to the tenants, and I really can't control my neighbour, she is an independent person. I am going to make another polite request, to inspect as soon as I can find someone to do it. The neighbour has offered to do it for free but I am not sure that is a good idea.
    You can't control your ex-neighbour but it is down to you to tell her to stop spying on your tenants now you know she does that. Do it in writing. You don't want the tenants to be able to claim you told her to do it, do you? Taking photos of them in their own home is really bad.

I bet she would love to do the inspection. She sounds like the kind of nosy busybody who would kill for the chance to snoop around someone else's home, make up all kinds of nonsense because she's taken against them for some reason and spread the gossip afterwards. Do not let her do this.

By the way, I am a woman with a very well-paid job in financial services who could afford to pay a year's worth of my London rent upfront if I so chose. Right now I'm working from home so I can receive some deliveries and let the gardener in; I do this fairly often as it makes little difference to my job if I'm in the office or here. The neighbours know I'm here as they've seen me wander out into the garden in jeans and a hoodie - not professional businesswoman attire. I'm pretty sure they are not sending grainy photos to my overseas landlord (they are friends) speculating on my employment status, as they are reasonable people and not interfering lunatics.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 13th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    lovinituk
    where abouts is this then?....
    Originally posted by Guest101
    I think the OP said earlier they currently live live in Scotland. So not surprising really
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Yet you expect them to do something about your situation that may or may not be fraud yet as you haven't determined if the agent has disappeared yet or not?!
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    I thought that they may at least be able to help me find out where he is or if he is known to them, don't they have a database? If not then I have to wait until I have some definite indication but it is really not looking very promising at the moment.
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    You don't want the tenants to be able to claim you told her to do it, do you? Taking photos of them in their own home is really bad.
    Originally posted by gingercordial
    No no, the photos were taken through HER window, she is a hiding behind the blinds sort of woman. She hasn't so far taken any photos of them inside their home. I agree that it is not ideal behaviour but hopefully the tenants haven't noticed or will just laugh it off. I will ask her to please not irritate them and stop taking photos, but if she does notice anything obviously strange I would prefer to know about it given my current situation, to be honest.
    • Riggster
    • By Riggster 13th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Riggster
    Would it be legally inappropriate to ask my neighbour to inspect the property?

I'm intrigued as to what you feel an inspection would achieve?
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 13th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,038 Thanks
    lovinituk
    I thought that they may at least be able to help me find out where he is or if he is known to them, don't they have a database?
    I don't think you understand how it works. Even if he is known to them they're not going to give you all his details! Perhaps you should speak to a Private Investigator if you want him found!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jul 17, 2:47 PM
    • 13,896 Posts
    • 37,806 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    How were you planning to prevent children?
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Errrrm.....put it in the contract to start with that children weren't allowed.

Duh!!
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 2:47 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    I'm intrigued as to what you feel an inspection would achieve?
    Originally posted by Riggster
    I want someone reliable to tell me what kind of animal this is, if it is noisy or aggressive, whether it has any friends in with it and whether it is distributing its mud, hair, smells, scratches all over the carpet and furniture!
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 2:51 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101

Duh!!
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    That doesn't work really....
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    I want someone reliable to tell me what kind of animal this is, if it is noisy or aggressive, whether it has any friends in with it and whether it is distributing its mud, hair, smells, scratches all over the carpet and furniture!

It could be a tiger, giraffe or crocodile - how are you still not understanding that it is TOTALLY irrelevant.

You cant even evict them without returning the £4,000 deposit!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jul 17, 2:56 PM
    • 13,896 Posts
    • 37,806 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    You said that I could give 24 hours, then inspect! How is that at all unreasonable as a request?
    A landlord is allowed to inspect - with that 24 hours notice. When I was in private rented accommodation I was always very conscious that the landlord had that right.

Presumably the same applies to their agent - ie the neighbour in this case.
    #MeToo

Why should our needs override the needs of all other living species? What makes us so special? (Brigit Strawbridge)
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 13,896 Posts
    • 37,806 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    That doesn't work really....
    Why?

The agent (or supposed agent in this case) asks them at the outset if they have any children or are pregnant. Simples....
    #MeToo

• Penitent
    • By Penitent 13th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 1,473 Posts
    • 4,375 Thanks
    Penitent

Duh!!
    You think a contract is a 100% effective contraceptive?
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 3:02 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    It could be a tiger, giraffe or crocodile - how are you still not understanding that it is TOTALLY irrelevant.
    I just can't believe that is true. What if it were a whole zoo? What if it were a brothel?? What if they were assembling nuclear bombs or sacrificing children at the altar??? There must be a line somewhere!
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 13th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 11,089 Posts
    • 15,343 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    A landlord is allowed to inspect - with that 24 hours notice. When I was in private rented accommodation I was always very conscious that the landlord had that right.

Presumably the same applies to their agent - ie the neighbour in this case.
    It's not as cut and dry as that.

The landlord needs to give 24 hours written notice before attempting to enter the property. The tenancy agreement should state under which circumstances the landlord can enter the property, inspections, repairs, viewing at the end of the tenancy, etc. Who knows what provisions the TA used by the OP contains?

The tenants could tell a landlord to bog off citing their right to quiet enjoyment and then it would be down to the landlord forcing entry and risking harassment charges or going to court for an order enforcing clauses in the TA which are supposed to allow access.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 13,896 Posts
    • 37,806 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    1. There are remedies to unwanted pregnancies or have the last 40 odd years of abortion/adoption/etc not happened apparently.

2. They knew what the contract said - so if they decided subsequently to break it = onus on them to deal with that (ie find somewhere else to live).
    #MeToo

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,116Posts Today

6,902Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin