Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 148Posts
    • 47Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet? 10th Jul 17 at 11:42 AM
    I am renting a flat to a couple on a 12 month tenancy agreement. When they applied they did not say anything about having a pet and in the tenancy agreement it states that tenants must get permission for any pets from the landlord first. I have been informed by a neighbour that one of the tenants has been seen going in and out of the flat with a dog, and the dog has also been seen in the garden. I asked the tenants about it and they claimed that it didn't belong to them but was a friend's who had been visiting or had left the dog there for a short time. I told them that I did not want a dog in the flat at all even if it was a friend's and that they should stop allowing the friend to bring the dog in, but it has been seen again since by my neighbour who watches and keeps me informed, when the woman tenant is around she often seems to have the dog with her.
    I think that the dog is probably really theirs or has been staying with them and I don't want it there. How can I go about ending their tenancy for breach of contract? Will I have to obtain proof that the dog is there? Does it matter legally whether it belongs to them or not?
    They also pre-paid all 12 months of their rent before moving in and have eight months remaining on the tenancy, will this make it harder for me to get them out?
Page 15
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    You state "You have a business name and the agent's name on a contract they signed, yet you say you cannot find any evidence of how to contact him or whether he is still trading???"

I have said that I have used Google on the business name and also Companies House search and not found anything. His name alone returns many many results most of which are not from the UK and do not show obvious signs of being him or his business. The telephone number at first was not answered and now is not ringing at all. There is no address given anywhere and the emails go unanswered. On my bank statement there is no business name associated with the payments, just the account number the payment came from. If you want to help then please tell me your very clever and obvious way of finding him instead of writing very long messages about how stupid I am!
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 13th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 10,827 Posts
    • 14,961 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    you miss my point...
    Originally posted by 00ec25
    Really 'surr? I think it is you who missed mine.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Would it be legally inappropriate to ask my neighbour to inspect the property?
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Well it could be fraud, but the police are unlikely to do anything.
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    Nothing? Why???
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 13th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    leslieknope
    Nothing? Why???
    Originally posted by higgledypiggledy_pop
    because our police force have better things to do than chase down a dodgy agent that you should have seen the warning signs for. they're already stretched just dealing with dangerous crime and the terrorism threats so i doubt this will be high on their list. this will be civil action through the courts to recoup your costs from the agent - if you can find them. sorry that's not what you want to hear.

and please do not get your neighbour to do the inspection.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    Guest101
    When they leave have all the carpets nicely cleaned with their deposit.
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    That's not likely to happen for many reasons, but as you clearly have no knowledge on this subject matter, it's simpler to say - no, that's not possible.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    Guest101
    Well it could be fraud, but the police are unlikely to do anything.
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    The agent is doing what he agreed to do. The contract doesn't require him to speak to the LL. Whilst it might be expected in an agency agreement, the contract simply asked them to deduct the tax owing and the 15% fee.

It's a civil matter, unless the agent really has absconded. as the rent is still trickling in I doubt it.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 1:18 PM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    Guest101
    Would it be legally inappropriate to ask my neighbour to inspect the property?
    Legally your tenant can tell you no inspections.
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 1:22 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Doesn't stop them being friends of the "agent". Have you let this property through this agent before to different people, though? I may have missed that.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Yes, one first tenancy which appeared to have no issues apart from tenant breaking the bed and then short term let while it was otherwise vacant for a time while I had some repair work done. During the vacant periods my neighbour did complain of seeing strange people at the property (even sending me photographs of them) but I dismissed this as busybodying, as there would have been workmen there occasionally when they could be bothered to turn up.
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 1:23 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Legally your tenant can tell you no inspections.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    What????

I am living in a parallel universe!!
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 13th Jul 17, 1:29 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    This is not possible, I have seen photos of the tenants, they are not very clear because they were taken through a window from some distance but the man was definitely not the agent.
    This is spying. Your neighbour really needs to stop doing this, she is invading your tenants' privacy.

Additionally, I really don't think you should be worrying about how "reputable" your tenants are. They paid their money. The agent is the one that has done you over.

FYI if you do try and dispute anything in the deposit, your tenants will probably then get clued up about their rights, and realise that without it being protected they're entitled to much more. Tread carefully.
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    I realise that I have received sound advice about talking to an accountant/lawyer and am not ignoring it, but the problem is money, if I have been embezzled and owe thousands in taxes then I have less than nothing, at least that is available immediately. I cannot see what else I can do at this point, other than go to the police. As of next week I will know for certain whether my agent is still operating because that is when the rent payment is due to appear. If it does then that will be some small comfort that this may just be a big misunderstanding and perhaps they have gone on holiday without arranging cover.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    Guest101
    What????

I am living in a parallel universe!!
    Why are you surprised. it's their home now. not yours!
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    Guest101
    This is spying. Your neighbour really needs to stop doing this, she is invading your tenants' privacy.

Additionally, I really don't think you should be worrying about how "reputable" your tenants are. They paid their money. The agent is the one that has done you over.

FYI if you do try and dispute anything in the deposit, your tenants will probably then get clued up about their rights, and realise that without it being protected they're entitled to much more. Tread carefully.
    Originally posted by SuboJvR
    It's fine the OP will just face a harassment charge soon
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop

Originally posted by SuboJvR
    Believe me, I have not asked my neighbour to behave in this way. She used to be employed by the family and has lived here for a very long time, she seems to feel that she has a duty to protect the place but does not go about it in a very sensible way. I do feel that she may have fabricated being 'lunged at' by the tenant's dog as she feels her own animals are threatened in some way due to its size and appearance.
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Why are you surprised. it's their home now. not yours!
    You said that I could give 24 hours, then inspect! How is that at all unreasonable as a request?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    • 15,143 Posts
    • 14,753 Thanks
    Guest101
    You said that I could give 24 hours, then inspect! How is that at all unreasonable as a request?
    Indeed (though I don't believe I said that), you can give 24 hours notice to inspect, but if the tenant says no, you cant really do anything else.

You cant force entry and if you go in when they're no there you risk being accused of harassment and theft, and further they will probably change the locks.

Your tenant can refuse inspections. Given your behaviour, and that of your agent and neighbour, it would be most reasonable to do so.
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    because our police force have better things to do than chase down a dodgy agent that you should have seen the warning signs for. they're already stretched just dealing with dangerous crime and the terrorism threats
    Originally posted by leslieknope
    You could have fooled me, just last month I caught a gang of youths in the act of trying to steal my car and the police were not interested at all. Meanwhile in the park across the road, the same youths openly pass suspicious packages back and forward between themselves whilst hiding under their hoodies, and smoke 'wacky baccy' in front of school children who are playing on the swings, and no-one lifts a finger!
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 13th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Your tenant can refuse inspections. Given your behaviour, and that of your agent and neighbour, it would be most reasonable to do so.
    My 'behaviour' so far involves one polite call to the tenants, and I really can't control my neighbour, she is an independent person. I am going to make another polite request, to inspect as soon as I can find someone to do it. The neighbour has offered to do it for free but I am not sure that is a good idea.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 13th Jul 17, 1:57 PM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,037 Thanks
    lovinituk
    The agent is doing what he agreed to do. The contract doesn't require him to speak to the LL. Whilst it might be expected in an agency agreement, the contract simply asked them to deduct the tax owing and the 15% fee.

It's a civil matter, unless the agent really has absconded. as the rent is still trickling in I doubt it.
    That's why I said it could be fraud
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

677Posts Today

5,945Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin