Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 148Posts
    • 47Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet? 10th Jul 17 at 11:42 AM
    I am renting a flat to a couple on a 12 month tenancy agreement. When they applied they did not say anything about having a pet and in the tenancy agreement it states that tenants must get permission for any pets from the landlord first. I have been informed by a neighbour that one of the tenants has been seen going in and out of the flat with a dog, and the dog has also been seen in the garden. I asked the tenants about it and they claimed that it didn't belong to them but was a friend's who had been visiting or had left the dog there for a short time. I told them that I did not want a dog in the flat at all even if it was a friend's and that they should stop allowing the friend to bring the dog in, but it has been seen again since by my neighbour who watches and keeps me informed, when the woman tenant is around she often seems to have the dog with her.
    I think that the dog is probably really theirs or has been staying with them and I don't want it there. How can I go about ending their tenancy for breach of contract? Will I have to obtain proof that the dog is there? Does it matter legally whether it belongs to them or not?
    They also pre-paid all 12 months of their rent before moving in and have eight months remaining on the tenancy, will this make it harder for me to get them out?
Page 11
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 11th Jul 17, 3:45 PM
    • 856 Posts
    • 1,000 Thanks
    ThePants999
    What a thread. If not a wind-up, I actually have a little bit of sympathy for the OP - yes, they're pretty much the worst landlord ever, but let's be fair - if you knew absolutely nothing about being a landlord and had no intention of being one, and someone called you up and said "allow me to let your property, you won't have to lift a finger", you'd be a bit upset when you discovered just what you'd actually signed up to. And even more upset when this someone vanished with the tenant's deposit and the money that was supposed to be set aside to pay your taxes, which I'll wager has happened here.
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 11th Jul 17, 4:44 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Wow, what a ride! This was exactly what I needed on a rainy lunch break...

*eats popcorn and waits for further updates*
    Originally posted by KateySW
    I am sorry, but this is a very unfortunate real life situation, not a soap opera for your amusement!!
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 11th Jul 17, 4:45 PM
    • 8,266 Posts
    • 27,675 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I'd be pretty worried that they might replace the c18th mattress with a cheap ikea knock off
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 11th Jul 17, 4:48 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    I want to know what the HMRC said and why the police are now involved ooo and where is the agent (who is a friend of a friend) with the deposit and possibly tax money.
    Originally posted by aneary
    I am openly being mocked, I will not be asking for any more advice.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 11th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    Originally posted by higgledypiggledy_pop

that's upto you. But mocking aside you've had some excellent advice here - if only you'd listened when this started
    • davholla
    • By davholla 11th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    davholla
    Apologies for mocking you about the cat, saying that you now know
    1) It is not worth trying to evict them
    2) You have problems with your deposit and agents

Not the news you want, but better than not knowing.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 11th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    LuckyG
    It is a serious issue though, I mean, being a landlord must be a stressful thing.
    I said before, I could never do it.

I honestly think if it's causing you this much misery, once the tenancy is up you should think about selling.
    They might be decent tenants and once they receive notice at the appropriate time, they could surprise you and move on.
    If I was given notice on the property I'm currently renting, I wouldn't want to stay here any longer than necessary. I'd stay until the end of my tenancy but I'd do my best to get out in time. I can't say I'd make myself homeless, but I wouldn't stay here and not bother trying to find somewhere else either.

Not all tenants are bad, regardless of whether or not they've got pets. I think you should give them a chance, it would be highly beneficial for your peace of mind if you could do a personal inspection on the property. Even if that means travelling to do so,
    • Riggyman
    • By Riggyman 11th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    Riggyman
    Are there vampires though?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    • 41,883 Posts
    • 48,470 Thanks
    G_M
    Olease don't take offence and disappear. We are all on tentahooks for the next episode..
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 30,346 Posts
    • 111,587 Thanks
    Pyxis
    What worries me is not so much what animal is living in the flat, but rather what creatures are living in the 18thC mattress.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • 8,511 Posts
    • 5,041 Thanks
    teddysmum
    You are not taking this thread seriously enough.

It was full moon on Sunday, so has anyone checked that the friendly neighbour/spy hasn't given her life in the course of duty ?
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Jul 17, 6:22 PM
    • 8,511 Posts
    • 5,041 Thanks
    teddysmum
    an original C18th stuffed mattress

Fail on health and safety grounds, as it's not fire proof, so especially dangerous if there are dragons about.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    • 30,346 Posts
    • 111,587 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Fail on health and safety grounds, as it's not fire proof, so especially dangerous if there are dragons about.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I believe that antique furniture/furnishings made before 1950 are exempt.
    I rather suspect that the fire resistance of the mattress be the least of its problems!
    A dragon might find it cosy, though, or a princess with an aversion to peas.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 11th Jul 17, 8:43 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    It is a serious issue though, I mean, being a landlord must be a stressful thing.
    I said before, I could never do it.

I honestly think if it's causing you this much misery, once the tenancy is up you should think about selling.
    They might be decent tenants and once they receive notice at the appropriate time, they could surprise you and move on.
    If I was given notice on the property I'm currently renting, I wouldn't want to stay here any longer than necessary. I'd stay until the end of my tenancy but I'd do my best to get out in time. I can't say I'd make myself homeless, but I wouldn't stay here and not bother trying to find somewhere else either.

Not all tenants are bad, regardless of whether or not they've got pets. I think you should give them a chance, it would be highly beneficial for your peace of mind if you could do a personal inspection on the property. Even if that means travelling to do so,
    Originally posted by LuckyG
    Thank you for your serious response, I am not pursuing the issue of the dog at the moment (DESPITE the neighbour e-mailing me more photos of the bloody thing!) because the status and whereabouts of my agent is now causing me a lot of stress. An inspection would probably be a good idea but might give me an angina if there is damage. Perhaps I am allowed to appoint someone else to do the inspection on my behalf?
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 11th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    In essence I called the tax line yesterday and heard something very confusing and concerning that I did not like. When the operator asked me to clarify the situation I panicked and hung up. Will they now pursue me for details??
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 11th Jul 17, 9:20 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    They know my name, my date of birth and my property's address
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 11th Jul 17, 9:20 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    rjwr
    yum yum yum..................
    But never spend money you don't have to buy things you don't want to impress people you don't like.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 11th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    LuckyG
    Thank you for your serious response, I am not pursuing the issue of the dog at the moment (DESPITE the neighbour e-mailing me more photos of the bloody thing!) because the status and whereabouts of my agent is now causing me a lot of stress. An inspection would probably be a good idea but might give me an angina if there is damage. Perhaps I am allowed to appoint someone else to do the inspection on my behalf?
    I can't see why not
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th Jul 17, 9:41 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 5,137 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    If a re-gifted chocolate orange gets brought in to play we might have a winner
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Ok, I've read the motorhome one before, but what are the chocolate orange and the bag for life ones all about? Can't see anything obvious in search results.
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 11th Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    leslieknope
    They know my name, my date of birth and my property's address
    you are, as they say, up the creek without a paddle. the dog is the very least of your concerns if your dodgy agent hasn't been paying your proper tax...

i do feel some sympathy for you because you don't seem very well versed in reality. you say you've inherited this and have never worked, so i imagine there is a lot about tax that you don't know. now's the time to start reading.

https://www.gov.uk/renting-out-a-property/paying-tax

actually, read through the whole guide. please. also: your agent has been royally screwing you for over a year.

wolfdogs (such as czech wolfdog, irish wolfhounds, huskies etc) are actually very sociable creatures and quite lovely if worked well. i've owned dogs of many sizes and the worst for destroying property were the little yappy types. and people care a lot about their pets, they are members of the family, so you'll find most people will train them and keep the house clean.

by all means, you can charge them for a deep clean when they leave. and contrary to what you've worked yourself up to believe, most tenants are quire reasonable and will leave if the landlord goes through the proper process - giving notice at the end of the contracted period in ample time for them to find somewhere else. the people here have simply explained that you cannot end their contract before the 12 months is complete and that yes, there can be occasions where you will have to go through a formal eviction process. but as they have paid their rent upfront and you haven't had any other issues, i doubt you will need to do this.

the ancestral house is not your home right now. it is theirs. until those 12 months are up, take your feelings out of the equation. it is your property but not your home.

personally i would approach them and say while you're not happy they have a pet despite the term in the contract (which others have pointed out to you is slightly ambiguous and in the eyes of the law, an ambiguous contract favours the party that did not draft it) you would like to agree with them that they will make sure they pay for a professional clean when they vacate the property. this will solve the problem of any allergies affecting you.

also, furniture can be damaged in any manner of ways. our sofa has seen more damage from a 3 year old than our dog. would you ban children too? but if any of the furniture is damaged, you can claim for this in the deposit. as long as your agent actually did a check in inventory to prove the state of the 300 year old mattress (which i hope you're not still using)? and protected the deposit? so regardless of any pets or children or a tap dancing troupe, you can claim for any damage from the tenants that's not the usual wear and tear.

and if this is a wind up, bravo. i'm impressed with your dedication and attention to detail.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,307Posts Today

6,623Users online

Martin's Twitter