Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 102Posts
    • 27Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet?
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    Can I terminate my tenant's tenancy early for having an unauthorised pet? 10th Jul 17 at 11:42 AM
    I am renting a flat to a couple on a 12 month tenancy agreement. When they applied they did not say anything about having a pet and in the tenancy agreement it states that tenants must get permission for any pets from the landlord first. I have been informed by a neighbour that one of the tenants has been seen going in and out of the flat with a dog, and the dog has also been seen in the garden. I asked the tenants about it and they claimed that it didn't belong to them but was a friend's who had been visiting or had left the dog there for a short time. I told them that I did not want a dog in the flat at all even if it was a friend's and that they should stop allowing the friend to bring the dog in, but it has been seen again since by my neighbour who watches and keeps me informed, when the woman tenant is around she often seems to have the dog with her.
    I think that the dog is probably really theirs or has been staying with them and I don't want it there. How can I go about ending their tenancy for breach of contract? Will I have to obtain proof that the dog is there? Does it matter legally whether it belongs to them or not?
    They also pre-paid all 12 months of their rent before moving in and have eight months remaining on the tenancy, will this make it harder for me to get them out?
Page 10
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 10th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    If all else fails you can always set your dragons on the tenants, their direwolf - I mean Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, and the letting agent. In fact whilst you're at it feel free to take out HMRC, preferably before I have to pay my next bill.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    I'm glad you are having a very merry evening.
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 10th Jul 17, 9:30 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    If you value these things, perhaps you should have watched more TV.

Later, they head to Essex to track down the tenants of a country estate who owe their landlord more than £10,000 - but have since disappeared.
    Paul and Steve attend an eviction in Buckinghamshire where the tenant owes more than £26,000 in rent on his country estate residence.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    This is not a helpful programme!! My agent has disappeared and with him the damage deposit!
    • higgledypiggledy_pop
    • By higgledypiggledy_pop 10th Jul 17, 9:32 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    higgledypiggledy_pop
    The message on the HMRC line stated that calls are recorded, is this true?
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 10th Jul 17, 9:33 PM
    • 2,478 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Strikes me you need to take some time off work & do a little physical investigating.....like knocking on doors of agents.

Seems your tenants & their dog is now the least of your problems
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 10th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 2,476 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Don't those sorts of people have solicitors and accountants to protect them from themselves?
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    They do, but if they decided not to tell the accountants about this because the rental agent said it was all covered, there's not much that the accountant could do.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 27,293 Posts
    • 99,129 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I've always wondered how a dog's DNA is captured in its poo.....but I digress
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Faeces contain cells from the intestine as well as red and white blood cells, all of which can provide DNA.

However, you would probably need quite a fresh sample, and to ensure it wasn't contaminated or denatured by anything.

Ps. There are full-blooded wolves in Scotland, I believe.
    Not that that's got anything to do with anything.
    Much.

Plus, not knowing one's NI number kind of suggests quite a young person, I would have thought.
    Do you know, I can actually recite mine from memory! Wow!
    Did you know that the first two letters are code for the year/time period you were born in?
    Last edited by Pyxis; 10-07-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • amibovvered
    • By amibovvered 10th Jul 17, 10:36 PM
    • 443 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    amibovvered
    Strikes me you need to take some time off work & do a little physical investigating.....like knocking on doors of agents.

Seems your tenants & their dog is now the least of your problems
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Couldn't he just get his butler to do all that sort of stuff?
    I want my sun-drenched, wind-swept Ingrid Bergman kiss
    Not in the next life, I want it in this, I want it in this
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 11th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    • 14,477 Posts
    • 14,159 Thanks
    Guest101
    This thread is the gift that keeps on giving.
    • Riggyman
    • By Riggyman 11th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    Riggyman
    I'm only awarding 6/10 so far. With the addition of a bag for life, potential vampire sightings, allegations of satanism and the running of a petting zoo as a business from the premises, I'm confident this thread could achieve at least 9/10.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 11th Jul 17, 12:25 PM
    • 7,830 Posts
    • 25,769 Thanks
    fairy lights
    I'm only awarding 6/10 so far. With the addition of a bag for life, potential vampire sightings, allegations of satanism and the running of a petting zoo as a business from the premises, I'm confident this thread could achieve at least 9/10.
    Originally posted by Riggyman
    If a re-gifted chocolate orange gets brought in to play we might have a winner
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 11th Jul 17, 12:47 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    This is not a helpful programme!! My agent has disappeared and with him the damage deposit!
    Originally posted by higgledypiggledy_pop
    So the deposit isn't in a protected scheme?

Oh boy.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/tenancy_deposits/tenancy_deposit_compensation_claims

Your tenants will be entitled to claim compensation for this.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 27,293 Posts
    • 99,129 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Commercial Union is the way to go.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 11th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 306 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    Oh dear...
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    I don't think that this OP did their homework before becoming a LL.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 11th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    I must admit this thread has helped me! I'm on the other side of this landlords issue in that I'm trying to find a house to rent that will allow me to have my cat but so many say no pets that I was debating on just not telling them about him as I'll only need the property for 12 months.
    It's not nice of me to lie about my pet but so few properties allow pets and we are good tenants, its sad so many landlords won't allow a pet. We got ours from a rescue and there is no way I'm taking him back to one.
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 11th Jul 17, 2:10 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    I must admit this thread has helped me! I'm on the other side of this landlords issue in that I'm trying to find a house to rent that will allow me to have my cat but so many say no pets that I was debating on just not telling them about him as I'll only need the property for 12 months.
    It's not nice of me to lie about my pet but so few properties allow pets and we are good tenants, its sad so many landlords won't allow a pet. We got ours from a rescue and there is no way I'm taking him back to one.
    Originally posted by WibblyGirly
    Just be sure to put the property back how you found it. This may mean forking out for a professional clean And be mindful of property visits - let the cat out/hide food bowls Cats who toilet outside don't really give themselves away with smell in a property they live in.

A lot of the time it is that landlords aren't educated about the reality of what 'damage' a pet may cause, it's easier to just blanket say no. Your rescue cat may be the most low maintenance cat in the world but another person may have a destructive kitten who rips a furnished place to shreds!

Another thing is that the agent may just have it as a standard "no pets" on their adverts and such and in the contract. Ours did that. They also manage next door, who have had a cat from the day they moved in. Unsure if they ever sought permission but it's now two years later.

It has always put me off actually getting a pet whilst renting, as I feel that is perhaps taking the mick, but to have a much loved family pet and then need to find a home is very different.
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 11th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 5,337 Posts
    • 5,972 Thanks
    lovinituk
    Originally posted by WibblyGirly
    Our tenants have a cat and we are ok with it. We have pets ourselves (cat and dog) so I wonder if that's why we are more relaxed about it.
    The following is my forum signature and not necessarily a response to your post:
    "To be truly successful you must live a few years of your life like others won’t so you may live the rest of your life like others can’t"
    • davholla
    • By davholla 11th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    davholla
    This is not the first straw by the way, what looked like a cat has previously been sighted in the window but I let it slide. Since the tenants continue to lie to me about the dog I would not be surprised if there is a cat as well.
    I think wolves eat cats so I don't think that is a possibility.
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 11th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    LuckyG
    I do apologise, why don't I ask my tenants to add some hypoallergenic rats and their army of friendly fleas to the petting zoo they are creating in my ancestral home.
    My rats are very clean animals, they're even litter trained.

I really think you're over reacting a little, you seem very angry about the whole situation. Maybe being a landlord isn't for you.
    • KateySW
    • By KateySW 11th Jul 17, 2:37 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    KateySW
    Wow, what a ride! This was exactly what I needed on a rainy lunch break...

*eats popcorn and waits for further updates*
    Last edited by KateySW; 11-07-2017 at 2:52 PM.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 11th Jul 17, 2:57 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    aneary
    I want to know what the HMRC said and why the police are now involved ooo and where is the agent (who is a friend of a friend) with the deposit and possibly tax money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,708Posts Today

9,123Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin