Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    • 5,762Posts
    • 33,513Thanks
    Gers
    Broadband speed problem
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    Broadband speed problem 10th Jul 17 at 11:35 AM
    My broadband speed is normally 1.9mbps (EO line and rural) - it's now down to 0.48mbps download. BT Home hub 6.

I've run all the online BT checks - nothing wrong.

I've spoken to BT technical services, a chap there did all the checks - nothing wrong.

He asked me to disconnect all machines from the wifi. He asked me to switch router on-off. He asked me to reset the router with a paper clip.

Then he asked me to use the test socket to do another check, first connecting an ASDL filter - I have no filter. Apparently one is provided with the first home hub sent out, but for me that was about 15 years ago. I've now ordered one from Amazon which will arrive tomorrow,

Of course, if everything comes back as clear then I'll be charged £129.99 for an engineer if he finds nothing wrong either.

Does anyone have any ideas about why this may be? Thanks
Page 2
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 10th Jul 17, 10:35 PM
    • 8,836 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    PSU = power supply unit. Irrelevant if you've had nothing new,

A nearby lighting strike can screw things up too as can just about anything causing electrical noise.

If it was a one-off event then the SNR reset will sort you out back to where you were with a poor but I guess usable speed. If there is some sort of fault then the reset will be undone by dynamic line management in a short time.

If you have a phone there is a quiet line test number 17070 option 2 but you can get the same effect by just dialling a 0 - listen and there should be virtually no noise on the line. Crackling or a muted hiss which disappears with the router turned off suggests a bad joint on the line. Silence and I've no idea.

From memory I think the BTw tester gives you your target and minimum line speed - http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ Worth a look. I can't try it as I'm currently on 4G.
    Last edited by kwikbreaks; 10-07-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Jul 17, 11:31 PM
    • 11,533 Posts
    • 6,453 Thanks
    Strider590
    Gers, are you turning the router on/off? Because this is a great way to screw up your connection speed, every time you turn it off, the line detects that as a fault and slows down the connection speed to compensate.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • were
    • By were 11th Jul 17, 1:23 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    Gers, it is a good time to visit your neighbours and see what they get. You should expect every one to get sort of the same within limits.

If a neighbour is on fibre, has a good connection, it could be possible for an exchange of cash he could be willing to share?.... and someone will post a comment that it is against T&Cs

if it is the line, and your phone number is not that important (many use mobiles only) then a month before you contract ends, you may want to get a second line put in. Some companies charge £60, but others are free, and then terminate the contract for the old line and the isp.

I did read on a forum that newer lines have thinner wire and are more prone to signal loss - unsure if this is true or not?

Also is your exchange the closest? it may have been the closest a number of years ago, it is it still?

After 4 calls, Plusnet could still not fix my line, got the £60 engineer call out spiel. Sky had a special offer and they were cheaper, and I asked for a new line, (which they offered for free) and I told them I was having issues. Since the move all has been great.
    Last edited by were; 11-07-2017 at 1:25 AM.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Jul 17, 6:51 AM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    Gers
    Gers, are you turning the router on/off? Because this is a great way to screw up your connection speed, every time you turn it off, the line detects that as a fault and slows down the connection speed to compensate.
    Originally posted by Strider590

No! Even though the BT agent kept on telling me to! We argued about that a bit. He didn't believe me!

Thanks for mentioning it.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Jul 17, 6:55 AM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    Gers
    Gers, it is a good time to visit your neighbours and see what they get. You should expect every one to get sort of the same within limits.

If a neighbour is on fibre, has a good connection, it could be possible for an exchange of cash he could be willing to share?.... and someone will post a comment that it is against T&Cs

if it is the line, and your phone number is not that important (many use mobiles only) then a month before you contract ends, you may want to get a second line put in. Some companies charge £60, but others are free, and then terminate the contract for the old line and the isp.

I did read on a forum that newer lines have thinner wire and are more prone to signal loss - unsure if this is true or not?

Also is your exchange the closest? it may have been the closest a number of years ago, it is it still?

After 4 calls, Plusnet could still not fix my line, got the £60 engineer call out spiel. Sky had a special offer and they were cheaper, and I asked for a new line, (which they offered for free) and I told them I was having issues. Since the move all has been great.
    Originally posted by were
    Unfortunately we are all on EO lines and fibre is only a faraway dream.

And yes, the exchange is in the village though that is about five miles away. And my house is the last in the line. It's all going against me! I could live with 1.9mbps but a third of that is useless.

Just to add salt to my wound my 89 year mother has just had Infinity installed in her house (100 miles away) and it's brilliant.

Thanks for offering help, I appreciate it.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 3,236 Thanks
    DoaM
    How far are you from the exchange? (Work out the direct distance and add, say, 800 m and that'll be the approximate line length).

Can you get a corded, simple phone? (About £5 from Argos). Plug that into the test socket and do a quiet line test. (Dial 17070 and select option 2). The line should be silent .. any clicks or screeches or anything like that and you have a line fault which should be reported to BT.

I'm not allowed to direct-link my PDF, so ... search Google for adsl2plusfordummies and among the first results should be a link to my PDF. It's old information but it applies directly to your situation. (I didn't write that guide, but I copied it from another site - with their permission - when that site was shutting down, so that the useful guide wasn't lost).
    Last edited by DoaM; 11-07-2017 at 9:42 AM.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 11th Jul 17, 9:49 AM
    • 8,836 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    Quiet line tests should be done with the router on to pick up an HRDIS fault causing noise when the ADSL signal is present. It should then be repeated with it off to see if the noise goes away which pretty much confirms the cause assuming it isn't a filter problem which should be eliminated by substitution of a different filter.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Jul 17, 10:40 AM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 3,236 Thanks
    DoaM
    +1 to the above.

And for clarity ... a filter is used to filter the phone (voice) from the signal. The broadband part is a straight through connection.

Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    Gers
    Just waiting for the call back from BT - should be soon if the adviser sticks to his own schedule.

Thanks folks.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    Gers
    Got the call - he said that the SNR won't be complete until about 3pm.

After that I'll do the noise test via the test socket - thanks. There's already a corded phone plugged into the master socket, only got one portable phone plugged in downstairs.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    Gers
    SNR has made no / little difference. Speed now fluctuating between .33mbps and .41mbps.

Quiet test done, no noise heard but phone calls do crackle.

BT agent is calling me back about 8pm.
    Last edited by Gers; 11-07-2017 at 8:02 PM. Reason: Missed decimal point!
    • macman
    • By macman 11th Jul 17, 7:21 PM
    • 41,291 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    I think you missed out the decimal point again...
    If there is noise on the line then that will inevitably slow things down and you may need to push BT OR to check that out.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    Gers
    I think you missed out the decimal point again...
    If there is noise on the line then that will inevitably slow things down and you may need to push BT OR to check that out.
    Originally posted by macman
    Yes, thanks. Writing on the tablet.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Jul 17, 7:40 AM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    Gers
    No phone call last night!

This morning the speed is back to1.4mbps, I'm hoping that it doesn't get slower again. Roll on DigitalScotland doing their thing in 2020.

Many thanks for all the input here.

Last edited by Gers; 12-07-2017 at 9:12 AM.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 12th Jul 17, 9:32 AM
    • 9,698 Posts
    • 7,226 Thanks
    GunJack
    what are your line stats now??
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Jul 17, 11:39 AM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    Gers
    what are your line stats now??
    Originally posted by GunJack
    Practically the same:

LA; 63
    DR: 448bps / 2.78
    NM: 14 / 5.3
    • Rubidium
    • By Rubidium 12th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    Rubidium
    Practically the same:

LA; 63
    Originally posted by Gers
    They are not practically the same. Your line attenuation is fixed but now your downstream noise margin is displaying 5.3db when it was 8.9db yesterday - quite a big difference. Your profile has been reset and this is why your are now getting a higher download speed, connected at 2.78 Mbps.

The real question is why did the noise marging increase to 8.9db causing your speed to drop. Presumably due to a noisy line/bad connection somewhere or some local interferance which has triggered the DLM (dynamic line management) to kick in, therfore as no fault has been found and fixed it may well drop again.

Your speedtest screen dump is showing an upload speed of 1.21Mbps which is odd as your router stats show upstream connected at 448kbps.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 3,195 Posts
    • 3,236 Thanks
    DoaM
    How far are you from the exchange? (Work out the direct distance and add, say, 800 m and that'll be the approximate line length).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    I can't see that this question has been answered. The answer will help gauge whether 63 dB attenuation is reasonable. Per the graphs linked below, 63 dB should equate to a line length of about 4.5 km. If the actual line length is quite a bit less then that is another indicator of a line fault.

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/graph-ADSL-speed-versus-line-loss-distance
    http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2012/graph-ADSL-speed-versus-distance

Did you search for and check out ADSL2Plus For Dummies?
    Last edited by DoaM; 12-07-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • Gers
    • By Gers 12th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    Gers
    Practically the same:

LA; 63
    Line actuation: 63
    Data rate: 448 bps / 1.92 kbps
    Noise margin: 14 / 8.9

I can only see a small difference and I'm not getting anything like the speed it says. As I don't actually understand what it means I'm in the dark. I can only see two numbers any different!

I can't see that this question has been answered.

Did you search for and check out ADSL2Plus For Dummies?
    Originally posted by DoaM

And yes, the exchange is in the village though that is about five miles away. And my house is the last in the line. It's all going against me! I could live with 1.9mbps but a third of that is useless.
    Yes, I did, thanks. However, not sure exactly what it means for me.

Up to 1.46mbps just now.
    Last edited by Gers; 12-07-2017 at 2:02 PM.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 12th Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    • 8,836 Posts
    • 4,415 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    I think you must be typing the speed units in yourself from those router stats as what you have typed in is slower than dialup.

I'm assuming your current sync tates are 448kbps up and 2.78Mbps down which should be good for the 1.9Mbps downoad you say you had originally. I see your speed test results are on an iPad. Can you check with a wired device? At speeds that low I can't see how it could be a WiFi issue but you never know.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

6,642Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin