Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    • 5,951Posts
    • 35,451Thanks
    Gers
    Broadband speed problem
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:35 AM
    Broadband speed problem 10th Jul 17 at 11:35 AM
    My broadband speed is normally 1.9mbps (EO line and rural) - it's now down to 0.48mbps download. BT Home hub 6.

I've run all the online BT checks - nothing wrong.

I've spoken to BT technical services, a chap there did all the checks - nothing wrong.

He asked me to disconnect all machines from the wifi. He asked me to switch router on-off. He asked me to reset the router with a paper clip.

Then he asked me to use the test socket to do another check, first connecting an ASDL filter - I have no filter. Apparently one is provided with the first home hub sent out, but for me that was about 15 years ago. I've now ordered one from Amazon which will arrive tomorrow,

Of course, if everything comes back as clear then I'll be charged £129.99 for an engineer if he finds nothing wrong either.

Does anyone have any ideas about why this may be? Thanks
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 10th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 9,941 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    First step is always change filter .
    So wait on the filter but note it may take up to 10 days for the exchange to monitor your line speed and errors .
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:42 PM
    If you've changed nothing on your side, then the problem has to be external..... Simple process of fault finding.

The trouble is that "external" can still mean WiFi interferance, so you should be testing your speed when plugged in to ethernet port.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 10th Jul 17, 1:18 PM
    • 8,842 Posts
    • 4,420 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:18 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:18 PM
    can you try to find and post your line stats. I couldn't find detailed instructions on finding them but they may well be the same as these for the hub 5...

http://bthomehub.home ( or http://192.168.1.254 )

From the top Menu
    > Troubleshooting
    > Helpdesk

Default admin password is on the card on the back of the hub.
    If this is the 1st time you have been to the Hub manager you will have to change & set your admin password.
    The important values are...

Line attenuation
    Sync rate or data rate
    Noise margin
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 5,951 Posts
    • 35,451 Thanks
    Gers
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    First step is always change filter .
    So wait on the filter but note it may take up to 10 days for the exchange to monitor your line speed and errors .
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Haven't got a filter, router connected via an ethernet cable.

If you've changed nothing on your side, then the problem has to be external..... Simple process of fault finding.

The trouble is that "external" can still mean WiFi interferance, so you should be testing your speed when plugged in to ethernet port.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    OK - thanks, will try that.

can you try to find and post your line stats. I couldn't find detailed instructions on finding them but they may well be the same as these for the hub 5...

Line attenuation
    Sync rate or data rate
    Noise margin
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    Will have a look at doing that once I've done the ethernet thing!

Thanks so far folks, will report back later this afternoon,
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 5,951 Posts
    • 35,451 Thanks
    Gers
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    If you only connect via ethernet, try disabling wireless and hotspots.

Create an account at speedtest.net, keep running tests all through the day.

Also check the box your socket connects to outside your property, once had one that some insects had made a nest of, clearing them out sorted problem.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    No, use wireless only. TV / PVR connected via ethernet.

Originally posted by Strider590
    I've done the ethernet connection and speed is still 0.48mbps
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    • 5,951 Posts
    • 35,451 Thanks
    Gers
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:08 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:08 PM

Line attenuation
    Sync rate or data rate
    Noise margin
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    Line actuation: 63
    Data rate: 448 bps / 1.92 kbps
    Noise margin: 14 / 8.9
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 31,940 Posts
    • 37,677 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:24 PM
    Ive found internal wiring dragged my speeds down by up to half

I've now disconnected all extension cabling as it was no longer used by me

I've had an engineer visit , that "we will charge you" is a standard warning.

If you connect to the test point and get the same problems with a filter in place then its GOT to be a problem between you and the CAB or the CAB and the exchange. They should be no charge . The openreach engineer will clip a tester onto your pair and look towards the exchange , it will show any high losses on either pair , noise on the line and so on . its very accurate but is unable to see any intermittent faults unless they happen at the time

in my case it was a faulty connection strip in the CAB
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Rubidium
    • By Rubidium 10th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    Rubidium
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    A new filter will not make any difference to your download speed, as it is simply not required if the router is connected directly to the master test socket.

If your attenuation is 63db then that is why your speed has dropped, probably a high resistance joint or broken wire.

You say that you don't have a filter so presumably you don't use a phone but trying a phone via an ADSL filter would test the line before reporting a fault.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 2:50 PM
    • 5,951 Posts
    • 35,451 Thanks
    Gers
    A new filter will not make any difference to your download speed, as it is simply not required if the router is connected directly to the master test socket.

If your attenuation is 63db then that is why your speed has dropped, probably a high resistance joint or broken wire.

You say that you don't have a filter so presumably you don't use a phone but trying a phone via an ADSL filter would test the line before reporting a fault.
    Originally posted by Rubidium

Haven't got a separatefilter as there is one connected to the BT master socket - like an older version of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BN-2017-BT-Openreach-Telephone-Master-Socket-NTE5c-MK2-VDSL-ADSL-Faceplate-MK4-/222508950471

Mine has a main box with a stepped down small box in front with ASDL on the front of it.

I've ordered the plug in ones which should arrive tomorrow so I can do the test socket test.

Download tests show that it is decreasing -now down to 45mbps!

What should the attenuation speed be?
    • Rubidium
    • By Rubidium 10th Jul 17, 3:22 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 437 Thanks
    Rubidium
    Haven't got a separatefilter as there is one connected to the BT master socket - like an older version of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BN-2017-BT-Openreach-Telephone-Master-Socket-NTE5c-MK2-VDSL-ADSL-Faceplate-MK4-/222508950471

Mine has a main box with a stepped down small box in front with ASDL on the front of it.

I've ordered the plug in ones which should arrive tomorrow so I can do the test socket test.

Download tests show that it is decreasing -now down to 45mbps!

What should the attenuation speed be?
    Originally posted by Gers
    OK so you currently have a filtered faceplate.

You could simply remove this and connect your router/hub directly to the master test socket to see if this makes any difference, no need to wait for your new ADSL filter to arrive.

There is no point plugging another ADSL filter into your filtered faceplate.

Your line attenuation is very high and many routers will only show levels up to 63db and that may not actually be a true figure because the router cannot display a higher figure i.e. that is a maximum level that it can display.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 4:08 PM
    • 5,951 Posts
    • 35,451 Thanks
    Gers
    OK so you currently have a filtered faceplate.

You could simply remove this and connect your router/hub directly to the master test socket to see if this makes any difference, no need to wait for your new ADSL filter to arrive.

There is no point plugging another ADSL filter into your filtered faceplate.

Your line attenuation is very high and many routers will only show levels up to 63db and that may not actually be a true figure because the router cannot display a higher figure i.e. that is a maximum level that it can display.
    Originally posted by Rubidium
    Thanks -will try this

Surely that socket splits the signal, if you plug in another splitter will it not just split an already split signal or does it only split certain frequencies.

I guess the big question is whether this socket if installed by BT is their responsibility and thus should avoid the fee.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Yes, installed by BT. Thanks, that will help.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 4:24 PM
    • 5,951 Posts
    • 35,451 Thanks
    Gers
    I've done the test socket test and the speed is still showing at 0.46mpbs.

Not sure what this means but am hoping it's a problem with BT equipment / systems??

Thanks
    Last edited by Gers; 10-07-2017 at 4:40 PM. Reason: wrong figures
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 10th Jul 17, 4:28 PM
    • 9,941 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    46 meg at the BT master socket that's BT fibre 1 speed .Or is that .46 ?
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 5,951 Posts
    • 35,451 Thanks
    Gers
    46 meg at the BT master socket that's BT fibre 1 speed .Or is that .46 ?
    Originally posted by JJ Egan

Sorry. 0.46
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 5,951 Posts
    • 35,451 Thanks
    Gers
    Update:

After doing the test socket test I rang BT again, who again did a check on the line. The friendly chap - they all seem to be in Ireland these days - is going to do an SNR reset.

Yep, no idea but he seems to think it'll help. He'll call me back tomorrow so watch this space.

Thanks so much so far. I really appreciate all the advice.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    • 31,940 Posts
    • 37,677 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Signal to Noise Ratio is SNR , don't think it will make much difference as the hub learns the profile of the line and if it's crap it will wander back down
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 5,951 Posts
    • 35,451 Thanks
    Gers
    Signal to Noise Ratio is SNR , don't think it will make much difference as the hub learns the profile of the line and if it's crap it will wander back down
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Me neither, but I have to give them a chance! Hopefully they'll decide to send an engineer out eventually.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 10th Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 8,842 Posts
    • 4,420 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    Line actuation: 63
    Data rate: 448 bps / 1.92 kbps
    Noise margin: 14 / 8.9
    Originally posted by Gers
    Well 63dB is the highest attenuation that some or even all routers will report.
    With the 1.92kbps sync you won't get any faster until the SNR reset is done and it's back to the default 6dB when your speed will probably recover to what it was before. If there is some local electrical noise then it could quickly drop back down to what you have now if it can't hold the higher sync rate.

As you've made no changes at home and have a filtered faceplate then the problem could be with the line or it could be something creating local electrical noise. Have you recently bought anything new that uses a plug in PSU. Sometimes switch mode PSUs can be faulty and screw up broadband speeds.
    Last edited by kwikbreaks; 12-07-2017 at 1:54 PM.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 10:18 PM
    • 5,951 Posts
    • 35,451 Thanks
    Gers
    Speed down to 0.11mbps a few minutes ago! No idea what's going on.

Don't know what a PSU is, but nothing new added here.

I'll check again in the morning and take readings from the HH too and then post them.

Thanks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,180Posts Today

6,749Users online

Martin's Twitter