Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 10th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 7,582Posts
    • 16,705Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    Microdermal
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    Microdermal 10th Jul 17 at 11:30 AM
    Hi all,

Has anyone ever had a microdermal done? I really want one but need to know how long they take to heal

TIA

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
Page 1
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 10th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    • 3,178 Posts
    • 5,356 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:50 PM
    According to this YouTube video they heal 'really quickly' but are not easy to remove
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 11th Jul 17, 2:01 AM
    • 12,157 Posts
    • 11,488 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:01 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:01 AM
    My sister used to get this done, she had about 2-3 days before the redness went down, but not being in her skin I can't vouch for any soreness or sensitivity- if she had any I'd have never known because we were not close and didn't/don't live close.

She did say it made her skin feel very smooth, (she was in her early 20s at the time and things like this were a big novelty to her back then) but she didn't get it done more than twice or so, so I'm not sure if this was an advert to the world or just her pride not wanting us to know if it wasn't a good choice!
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 11th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 16,705 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:46 AM
    My sister used to get this done, she had about 2-3 days before the redness went down, but not being in her skin I can't vouch for any soreness or sensitivity- if she had any I'd have never known because we were not close and didn't/don't live close.

She did say it made her skin feel very smooth, (she was in her early 20s at the time and things like this were a big novelty to her back then) but she didn't get it done more than twice or so, so I'm not sure if this was an advert to the world or just her pride not wanting us to know if it wasn't a good choice!
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    Jennie are you thinking of dermabrasion? A microdermal is a piercing

(Although I'd like dermabrasion too )

HBS x
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 11th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 16,705 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    According to this YouTube video they heal 'really quickly' but are not easy to remove
    Originally posted by avogadro
    Pants. I wonder if I could take the external part of it off for contact sports...

HBS x

#JC4PM
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 12th Jul 17, 4:25 AM
    • 12,157 Posts
    • 11,488 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:25 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:25 AM
    Jennie are you thinking of dermabrasion? A microdermal is a piercing

(Although I'd like dermabrasion too )

HBS x
    Originally posted by heartbreak_star

I'd always prided myself on my skincare knowledge...until now
    I guess you really do learn something every day!
    • raven83
    • By raven83 12th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 6,233 Thanks
    raven83
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    I've had lots of dermals done over the years. You have to be careful with them, for a few days after the piercing while the skin heals to hold it in place you have to be careful and clean it with salt water. The reason I no longer have them is because sooner or later they start to reject, all of mine have done so. Some I have had to pull out myself and have left scars, others just feel out. Also, if you catch it on knock it, that can cause it start to reject. Not everyone is like that mind, some people have them done for years, the longest mine lasted was about ba year, I had them all up my chest and top one was a throat one, they look pretty but not so nice when they reject.
    Raven.

• heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 12th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 7,582 Posts
    • 16,705 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:12 AM
    Oh bless you Jennie!

I've had lots of dermals done over the years. You have to be careful with them, for a few days after the piercing while the skin heals to hold it in place you have to be careful and clean it with salt water. The reason I no longer have them is because sooner or later they start to reject, all of mine have done so. Some I have had to pull out myself and have left scars, others just feel out. Also, if you catch it on knock it, that can cause it start to reject. Not everyone is like that mind, some people have them done for years, the longest mine lasted was about ba year, I had them all up my chest and top one was a throat one, they look pretty but not so nice when they reject.
    Originally posted by raven83
    Ah man, I had a surface piercing that rejected quickly (3-4 months!) so maybe I'd be wasting my money

HBS x

#JC4PM
    • raven83
    • By raven83 12th Jul 17, 10:20 AM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 6,233 Thanks
    raven83
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:20 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:20 AM
    Oh bless you Jennie!

Ah man, I had a surface piercing that rejected quickly (3-4 months!) so maybe I'd be wasting my money

HBS x
    Originally posted by heartbreak_star
    They do look good, hence why I had so many done, and people ask alot of questions about them, but to be honest I wouldn't again. I am lucky as my friend has been piercing for over 20 years so doesn't charge me, but I know alot of places they can cost upto £50 that's half the cost towards a pair of Irregular Choice
    Raven.

• DollyDee
    • By DollyDee 16th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    DollyDee
    I had to watch the you tube video and google "irregular Choice"
    • dotted.with.hearts
    • By dotted.with.hearts 25th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    dotted.with.hearts
    I had four microdermals in total. 1 under each collarbone.

Healing wise once they were done they were taped in place with surgical tape and I had to keep them taped for 24 hours. I actually did this every night for quite a while to protect them. Cleaning was simply remove any crusties with salt water but apart from the leave them alone. For me they were fickle things and would be fine for months at a time and then randomly get inflamed and sore.

The first set I had done when it was a fairly new procedure, it must have been about 2006/2007 and I had them removed in 2009 because the placement meant there was constant movement so they didn't heal flush to the skin.

The second set I had done within weeks of the first set being removed. They healed really well but I had them removed after 3 years as it became a total pain having to be super careful in everything you do to avoid snagging them.

I have very small white scars where they were removed. Removal of fully healed microdermals is not pleasant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,941Posts Today

9,111Users online

Martin's Twitter