Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KateySW
    • By KateySW 10th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    • 94Posts
    • 133Thanks
    KateySW
    What's the oddest thing your seller has left in your new home?
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:27 AM
    What's the oddest thing your seller has left in your new home? 10th Jul 17 at 11:27 AM
    I've only moved into our new house a couple of weeks ago and have been trying to properly clean each room as we unpack (it's been a gradual move as we were still renting our flat). I was cleaning the kitchen over the weekend and have found so many things under the oven and some other kitchen units, including loads of small children's toys, clothes pegs, ping pong balls (?), and (bit more yucky) old apple cores, bits of cheese and other large chunks of mouldy indistinguishable food

I mean, tad gross but I know they probably didn't think to check under there... It just made me think though that this must happen quite often. I've always rented until this point so have usually moved into places which have included in the contract that they be professionally cleaned.

So, what's the weirdest things previous dwellers have left you when you've moved in? I'm sure there's a lot worse out there than mouldy food!
Page 4
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 13th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 6,137 Thanks
    tori.k
    Our sellers only had the house 15 months before selling to us, the lady before them had a cat... WE found the half a mouse behind the cooker....
    h.
    Originally posted by NelliePie
    We had the cat left in our previous home, the tennent's had been squatting for some time when the owners decided to give up and sell, when they finally left they had pretty much stripped the place bare which was fine as we had planned to anyway, but the miserable barsteward had trapped there cat in the kitchen when moving out and left the poor thing there, it was two days before we entered the property and found her. After a trip to the vets our new next door neighbor took the little mite in and nursed her back to health, and she lived happily between our two houses for the next twelve years until she past away.
    Debit to Credit (stage 1) 3652.34 completed 15/10/16
    Debit to Credit (stage 2) 6299.09 completed 25/06/17
    Last Castle 150,000/ 24000
    • Jane2112
    • By Jane2112 16th Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 656 Thanks
    Jane2112
    There are some very sad finds on this thread.

When we moved about 19 years ago, we found a signed photograph of Michael Barrymore in the loft!!!! It took pride of place at our house warming / bad taste party. The whole house was pink when we moved in
    PS - the bathroom still is.
    Jane 2112
    • dotchas
    • By dotchas 16th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 2,375 Posts
    • 3,403 Thanks
    dotchas
    When we bought a BTL in a probate sale,we inherited all sorts of stuff. Furniture, Dyson, steam cleaner, photos, bank statements etc even car keys but no car!. Also a cuddly lion, which I have kept as I collect teddy bears. When visiting our tenant when she moved in she had the same lion on a shelf in her bedroom!
    I love bargains
    I love MSE
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 20th Jul 17, 2:33 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    I once moved into a rented property where there was a very welcome unopened bottle of vodka in the freezer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,282Posts Today

7,761Users online

Martin's Twitter