Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Happibunni
    • By Happibunni 10th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 43Posts
    • 19Thanks
    Happibunni
    A new feline family member - what did you consider
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    A new feline family member - what did you consider 10th Jul 17 at 11:14 AM
    Morning All,

We lost our boy last month and the house is empty without him. We,as a couple, are not ready to adopt again at the moment but I cannot imagine a long-term life without another fuzzy buddy.

We are not looking to replace Ben as each animal has their own needs, wants and personalities but when the time is right we would want to adopt again.

What were the points you considered prior to adding to your family?
Page 2
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 3rd Sep 17, 4:08 PM
    • 3,462 Posts
    • 10,434 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    Aw, they love their cats up there.

Meet Tiddles

https://www.scottishspca.org/rehome/details/?animal=329260
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 3rd Sep 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Thanks to one and all for your replies.

We weren't going to go looking for another month or so but fell in love with a wee girl on the sspca website. We went to meet her today and, paws crossed, she will be ready to come home next Friday/Saturday.

I don't have a picture to share but, for those interested, if you look at the sspca rehome page for cats her name is Elsa.

Our house will one again be a home
    Originally posted by Happibunni
    This one ?

https://www.scottishspca.org/rehome/details/?animal=329968
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Happibunni
    • By Happibunni 3rd Sep 17, 7:47 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Happibunni
    That's my girl
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 3rd Sep 17, 7:50 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 2,218 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    She's gorgeous !
    • tealady
    • By tealady 4th Sep 17, 6:03 AM
    • 2,727 Posts
    • 3,212 Thanks
    tealady
    Have to agree Silvertabby she is gourgeous, such an expressive face.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • HonourlessWeasel
    • By HonourlessWeasel 4th Sep 17, 2:40 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    HonourlessWeasel
    Aww - She does have such an expressive face! Is it still on to adopt her?

Sorry for just wading into this thread!

We'd (or rather, I'd) been wanting to adopt a cat for a few years, but we hadn't been in a position to do so. We'd been living in a top floor flat in London, so it wouldn't have been able to go outside, plus the tenancy said no animals, and my husband wasn't ready for the responsibility, plus we like holidays. But this year we moved to a house with a garden and now his work means holidays are far less likely. About a month ago we had a conversation, his mind completely changed and we paid a visit to Battersea.

Two weeks ago we picked up a little black cat. We'd met him in the centre and he was really friendly, came out to meet us with head bonks, very confident cat. He was in there with another cat who just hid from us. He doesn't miss the other cat in the slightest, I think he enjoys not competing over food and being the only one being fussed about.

My husband did make me do a list of cost things though - he almost put a chart up with an amount to count down from. He wanted to put a cap on at £750 for a year, and then take off amounts whenever we spent them on him. Ugh, that made me feel horrible, I couldn't do it. Never did it when I had a dog. I've already considered things like insurance and food - He's a light eater, so that keeps costs down. I find cheap litter, he's not interested in toys. I've got people to look after him if we go away as well.

In the two weeks he's been here so far he's been lovely, he makes me feel so nice on the inside, it's lovely to have him on my lap in the evening, even if it took 20 vet surgeries and £43 to get him the right feline leukaemia injection last week!
    • StaffieTerrier
    • By StaffieTerrier 4th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    StaffieTerrier
    She's gorgeous Happibunni
    • Happibunni
    • By Happibunni 4th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Happibunni
    Thanks all for the interest in this thread.

Once home we need to sort out insurance - she comes with 4 weeks pet plan insurance but worth shopping around I guess before the insurance runs out.

Just can't wait to have her home, she was so chilled out with us yesterday, loves her chin scratches and was purring away.

Am sure her brother would approve of his sister
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 5th Sep 17, 11:17 PM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Two weeks ago we picked up a little black cat. We'd met him in the centre and he was really friendly, came out to meet us with head bonks, very confident cat. He was in there with another cat who just hid from us.
    Originally posted by HonourlessWeasel
    When my little furball turned up, she threw up on the kitchen floor and then hid up in a cupboard - Stayed there for four weeks, only coming out to eat and use the litter tray. Eventually, she settled down and will now spend all her time on my lap or bed. She'll hide up as soon as anyone comes to the door and rarely goes outside (if she does, never more than a few feet from the door).

Don't dismiss the shy/timid ones - They can often be the most loving and loyal companions once they settle in.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • HonourlessWeasel
    • By HonourlessWeasel 6th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    HonourlessWeasel
    When my little furball turned up, she threw up on the kitchen floor and then hid up in a cupboard - Stayed there for four weeks, only coming out to eat and use the litter tray. Eventually, she settled down and will now spend all her time on my lap or bed. She'll hide up as soon as anyone comes to the door and rarely goes outside (if she does, never more than a few feet from the door).

Don't dismiss the shy/timid ones - They can often be the most loving and loyal companions once they settle in.
    Originally posted by FreeBear
    Throwing up on the kitchen floor was her way of saying thank you for rescuing her
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 7th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 2,586 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    no1catman
    That's my girl
    Originally posted by Happibunni
    Mines' a Rescue calico as well.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 8th Sep 17, 12:01 PM
    • 1,374 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Throwing up on the kitchen floor was her way of saying thank you for rescuing her
    She was a "rehome" from close friends as apposed to a rescue from a local cat sanctuary. The cat was 12yo at the time, so I suppose this place could be regarded as her retirement home.

• Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 4,703 Posts
    • 20,363 Thanks
    Slinky

My husband did make me do a list of cost things though - he almost put a chart up with an amount to count down from. He wanted to put a cap on at £750 for a year, and then take off amounts whenever we spent them on him. Ugh, that made me feel horrible, I couldn't do it.!
    Well you know what the solution is, if you get to £750, husband has to go........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,782Posts Today

8,952Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sadly for those buying jointly "Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers. "

• First time buyers usually defined as someone who has never owned or part owned a property https://t.co/yM3urZNs8z

• You will not pay stamp duty https://t.co/vHoCWiUXfo

• Follow Martin