Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Happibunni
    • By Happibunni 10th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 44Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Happibunni
    A new feline family member - what did you consider
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    A new feline family member - what did you consider 10th Jul 17 at 11:14 AM
    Morning All,

We lost our boy last month and the house is empty without him. We,as a couple, are not ready to adopt again at the moment but I cannot imagine a long-term life without another fuzzy buddy.

We are not looking to replace Ben as each animal has their own needs, wants and personalities but when the time is right we would want to adopt again.

What were the points you considered prior to adding to your family?
Page 1
    • StaffieTerrier
    • By StaffieTerrier 10th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    StaffieTerrier
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:55 AM
    We lost our cat back in October. Initially we didn't want to get another but as time went on the house felt empty. When we decided to get another we drew up a list of what we wanted, e.g. not a kitten, a lap cat, a rescue, etc. We did consider the amount of time we're out the house, which ruled us out of having a dog or a cat breed that needs a lot of attention. We also only have enough room in the house for one animal.

We ended up going to our local rescue, armed with our list, prepared to return many times to find the right cat. As it was, the very first cat we saw was the perfect fit for what we wanted. She's been with us 2 months now and, while having a completely different personality to our last cat, she's fitted in really well.
    • tizerbelle
    • By tizerbelle 10th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,465 Posts
    • 3,133 Thanks
    tizerbelle
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    I have adopted cats from rescue centres twice now (the other two were dumped in the back street). I didn't go in with a list - I just went in and adopted the longest serving resident.

The first had been there 6 months apparently overlooked because she was black and white with a tatty ear.

The second had been born there and was still there 10 months later because he had some issues with being stroked - very sensitive about his back and would lash out if you stroked too often, so no good with kids.

Both fitted in with me and the resident cat/s fine and were happy and healthy and very much loved for their character and quirks for the rest of their lives.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Jul 17, 11:04 AM
    • 4,019 Posts
    • 2,976 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:04 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:04 AM
    Apart from considering what age, personality etc will for in with our lifestyle I have not 'gone looking'.

Invariably one turns up that fits the bill.

I may hear about it or see and advert but it finds me.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 12th Jul 17, 2:26 AM
    • 3,306 Posts
    • 6,810 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:26 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:26 AM
    Hi all

I'm sorry to hear of your losses, as a long time cat owner I know just how awful it is to lose them. We lost our boy Murphy nearly 4 years ago and his picture is pride of place on the wallpaper on my ipad

Have you thought about fostering rather than adopting? I know the RSPCA is always looking for people and I think the Blue Cross and Cats Protection may also need people.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 12th Jul 17, 2:30 AM
    • 3,306 Posts
    • 6,810 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:30 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 2:30 AM
    Apart from considering what age, personality etc will for in with our lifestyle I have not 'gone looking'.

Invariably one turns up that fits the bill.

I may hear about it or see and advert but it finds me.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    I am a great believer in the cat choosing the owner. . We got our current girl from the Blue Cross. We saw her in there and they put you in a room with the cat to see if you like each other, and when I picked her up she draped herself around my shoulders. It was a case of "choose me".
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 12th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 10,939 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    1. Finding a decent breeder and getting on their waiting list
    2. Insurance
    3. Food costs
    4. Death by cat hair
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jul 17, 7:35 AM
    • 18,587 Posts
    • 47,845 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:35 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:35 AM
    Hi all

I'm sorry to hear of your losses, as a long time cat owner I know just how awful it is to lose them. We lost our boy Murphy nearly 4 years ago and his picture is pride of place on the wallpaper on my ipad

Have you thought about fostering rather than adopting? I know the RSPCA is always looking for people and I think the Blue Cross and Cats Protection may also need people.
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    We lost our boy Murphy almost 5 and a half years ago, his picture is on my fridge.

I prefer male cats and I'd look for an alpha male. All but one of my cats have been 'boss of the litter'.
    Last one (Murphy) was a bit of a challenge as he was a farm kitten and never lost that semi-feral behaviour.
    I'd want to take a rescue cat (not kitten) so I'm not sure how easy it would be to spot 'the boss'.
    • mellymoo74
    • By mellymoo74 12th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 5,685 Posts
    • 13,037 Thanks
    mellymoo74
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 12:57 PM
    We have 2 and a half boys and a girl
    All bar tomcat moved in
    And to be honest tomcat started cultivating my OH about 2 years before my MIL (he was hers first) died so figured he chose us as well.

Girl is in charge
    I think cats let other cays know there is a soft touch and we only have stopped at the amount we have because I won't let my OH bring in any more lol.

My advice is rehousing centre get an older cat
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 18,587 Posts
    • 47,845 Thanks
    Pollycat
    We have 2 and a half boys and a girl
    All bar tomcat moved in
    And to be honest tomcat started cultivating my OH about 2 years before my MIL (he was hers first) died so figured he chose us as well.

Girl is in charge
    I think cats let other cays know there is a soft touch and we only have stopped at the amount we have because I won't let my OH bring in any more lol.
    Originally posted by mellymoo74
    Yes, well, Melly, you're like a magnet to all cats - they all want to live with you.
    • mellymoo74
    • By mellymoo74 12th Jul 17, 10:29 PM
    • 5,685 Posts
    • 13,037 Thanks
    mellymoo74
    Kevin and his brawling is my current concern Pol
    Gotta take him in get his bits done
    Ty is such a calm lad these days (him telling OH off when he got back from hospital was funny, 3 bites in quick succession)
    • Mardle
    • By Mardle 13th Jul 17, 11:38 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    Mardle
    Our cat chose us. We'd gone to visit a cat fosterer to meet an 8 month old black & white male & his all black mother with a view to adopting them both. I love black and white cats and he was gorgeous. Just the sort of cat I'd had in mind.

The fosterer carried in a small tabby & white male who they thought was about 3. He'd been a stray for quite some time before deciding he would move in. He was bullied by a couple of the other cats but he put up with it. He sat by my daughter's chair and just gazed at her. Not even moving when another cat took a swipe at him in passing. We adopted him and he's turned out to be the perfect cat for us.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Jul 17, 11:47 PM
    • 61,008 Posts
    • 356,348 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Love kitties, but always stopped at the "cost" stage - I realised that if you get one you have to feel very confident that for the next 15 years or so you will always be able to afford its needs and wants.

And I couldn't do that.

I like "free cats", which are rare; they're neighbours' cats who are fed by them and kept by them, but who turn up in your garden and will come when called for a random stroke ... and don't try to get in your house
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 14th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 8,054 Posts
    • 12,445 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Sadly I lost one of my old ladies last month and I don't intend to get another cat or two until Suzy goes as I don't think it would be fair on her.

I got both of mine from a rescue centre 15 years ago and I wasn't looking for anything specific other than wanting 2 cats to keep each other company as I work full time.

Suzy decided to act very strangely (crawling under the blanket and making a point of tipping up the water bowl whilst hiding under the blanket which she did in front of every person who viewed them!) the day I went to view which apparently put most people off, but I thought she had a bit of character so reserved the sisters then and there.
    • tealady
    • By tealady 15th Jul 17, 5:57 AM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    tealady
    Happibunni
    Can I just remind you of the unwritten rule on this forum. It is if you decide to have a new furbabe then pics are compulsory for the rest of us to coo over.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 15th Jul 17, 6:45 AM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 3,533 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    I'm a long-time MSE user, but have just become the proud mum of two crazy kittens, so have ventured on to the Pets board.

Our previous cat had to be put to sleep in September 2015 - at the time the house was still a building site, and we also knew we were going to go to Australia for a month, so we put off getting another cat until things were a bit calmer. By the time that had happened, we'd talked ourselves in to getting two...

We had a bit of a shopping list - we knew we wanted kittens, preferably from the RSPCA (we'd had problems with a 'private' cat rescue charity in the past), two sisters, and tabbies. Not a lot to ask... We had a bit of a wait (started looking in January 2017, brought them home in May), but we weren't in a hurry, it was more important to get it right. Afterall, they'll (hopefully) be with us for a long time.

The pair of them are currently trying to work out how to get their favourite jingly ball out from behind the TV...
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 17th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 23,375 Posts
    • 90,872 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    The Universe, as is patently obvious, being ruled by a Cat Goddess, provides for the Collectors of Waifs and Strays.

You can have an idea of what you want - for me, it's a little black female kitten that likes cuddles, is smart, talks to you and doesn't attempt to decimate the local rodent population -

but The Universe may see fit to bestow upon you a demented tortoiseshell Maine Coon cross with short term memory loss and delusions of grandeur such that she is renamed Madam Fluffyknickers (when she deigns to acknowledge your existence, having transferred her entire affections to the new boyfriend 38 hours after he moved in - and any other random male that walks in the door ) - and a grey mackerel tabby moron who can fall over whilst sitting on the floor, runs like he's competing in a Dressage Event until he falls over again, and regularly presents you with squishy baby mice and the occasional feral hamster. Which you then also have to house and feed, naturally, as he doesn't actually manage to do any lasting damage to anything big enough to fight back. Unless it's an unattended toilet roll. Then he goes full murdering sociopath on it. Especially when it's the last roll in the house.

I'm hoping that next time The Universe sees fit to gift me with further furry idiots, along with the little black kitten, she throws in a Beagle puppy for good measure.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • tealady
    • By tealady 18th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 3,246 Thanks
    tealady
    Trailin spouse can we have pics please.
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • Happibunni
    • By Happibunni 3rd Sep 17, 2:38 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Happibunni
    Update
    Thanks to one and all for your replies.

We weren't going to go looking for another month or so but fell in love with a wee girl on the sspca website. We went to meet her today and, paws crossed, she will be ready to come home next Friday/Saturday.

I don't have a picture to share but, for those interested, if you look at the sspca rehome page for cats her name is Elsa.

Our house will one again be a home
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 3rd Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 1,278 Thanks
    Robin9
    Several years we had just a single cat and when we lost him the house seemed empty. We lasted two weeks before a visit to Cats Protection.

When I retired I was given permission to have a second cat. Despite the difference in their years their interaction was amazing - it was only recently when we found some old photos on the PC did we see how wonderful it was - they seemed to have a cat version of tag.

When we lost the eldest we wondered how well the youngest would adapt - no problems. Now she has been joined by a young male and the household is complete once more.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

362Posts Today

2,534Users online

Martin's Twitter