Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 10th Jul 17, 11:02 AM
    • 32Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Outsider_83
    Getting out before the 12th
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:02 AM
    Getting out before the 12th 10th Jul 17 at 11:02 AM
    I'm new to Ireland and I've just became aware of of the secterian hate rampage on July 12th. I plan to go down to Mayo from the 11th to 16th, is this long enough and will I be safe to return then? The though of my house being destroyed or getting caught up in the violence of the day where I could end up dead terrifies me.

What is the norm leaving duration in Ireland for this time?
Page 2
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 15,189 Posts
    • 8,601 Thanks
    motorguy
    Several 100k, bit of an exaggeration a few thousand at most and I've only came across one marcher and that was above on this thread, Cotta?
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    You must be thinking of the internment parades?

Genuinely - its really really great that the 12th July parade agitates you as it clearly does.

You might try to cover it up with a bit of silly trolling, but genuinely, i'm glad it gets to you.

Its a great day out and a celebration of culture and history for many people -well into 100 odd thousand.

The fact it !!!!es a few republican sympathisers like you off is merely an added bonus.

Last edited by motorguy; 10-07-2017 at 3:55 PM.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 10th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Sambella
    Traditionally the Twelth fortnight was when the locals took their annual holidays but it is dying out now. Businesses often shut down for this period too.

There isn't always trouble, tensions have been rising this year however over the bonfires on the 11th night.

Some find it offensive and some find it a fun day out as they don't go deep into it and some are die hards who take it all too seriously.

If they want to preserve the day for the future it should probably be made more inclusive somehow.

We get two days off work for it so there's always an upside lol

Many people do not go to watch the bands regardless of their tradition and instead choose to maybe potter around in their gardens or something. If there ever are riots you wont find them happening in every street throughout Northern Ireland but concentrated in the areas where the traditions clash usually.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 10th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Several 100k, bit of an exaggeration a few thousand at most and I've only came across one marcher and that was above on this thread, Cotta?
    Originally posted by Outsider_83
    Well, for someone new to the country, you've got some remarkably fixed views. Thought you weren't aware of the situation and you needed advice, but now you're prepared to argue? Bit of a fraud, aren't you?

Anyway, as a hard core money saver ( aye, that's what this website is about, remember?), it pains me to see several centuries worth of firewood go up in one night. Colossal bonfires which of course have been built by a few dozen enthusiasts, at the very most. Energetic lads, aye?

"I've only came." A grammatical gaffe associated with the true gob!!!!!, and not one I've met outside our dear homeland. Oh, well. Keyboard warriors.
    Last edited by qwert yuiop; 10-07-2017 at 3:58 PM.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Jul 17, 3:58 PM
    • 15,189 Posts
    • 8,601 Thanks
    motorguy

If they want to preserve the day for the future it should probably be made more inclusive somehow.
    Originally posted by Sambella
    The Orange Order do pitch it these days as a family fun day out. Which it is for a lot of people.

Sadly, decades of entrenched viewpoints here mean its unlikely to return to the more all encompassing event it once was.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 10th Jul 17, 3:59 PM
    • 15,189 Posts
    • 8,601 Thanks
    motorguy
    Well, for someone new to the country, you've got some remarkably fixed views. Thought you weren't aware of the situation and you needed advice, but now you're prepared to argue? Bit of a fraud, aren't you?

Anyway, as a hard core money saver ( aye, that's what this website is about, remember?), it pains me to see several centuries worth of firewood go up in one night. Colossal bonfires which of course have been built by a few dozen enthusiasts, at the very most. Energetic lads, aye?

"I've only came." A grammatical gaffe associated with the true gob!!!!!, and not one I've met outside our dear homeland. Oh, well. Keyboard warriors.
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    Funny i saw the big bonfire off the westlink this morn on the way to the airport - all stacked up with perfectly usable palettes and i did think what a waste of good usable product. Its a shame really.

Maybe Loyalists need to go green?
    • saverbuyer
    • By saverbuyer 10th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    • 2,420 Posts
    • 1,384 Thanks
    saverbuyer
    Guys, this is classic trolling here.

We've seen it before with hurricane, shaz77,former_student. It's obviously the same poster. Just ignore. They drop in and out with new usernames.
    • SnowyOwl
    • By SnowyOwl 10th Jul 17, 4:03 PM
    • 5,120 Posts
    • 14,796 Thanks
    SnowyOwl
    You'll be alright, the media only reports on the "scum" and hence it looks far, far worse than what it really is. The vast majority of protestant people are normal, peace loving and rational. So are the vast majority of Catholics for that matter. For this reason there's not that much fighting in the streets, if any. If you happen to be in Belfast or anywhere there is a big parade on you might enjoy it if you go to watch. There will be a sea of Union Flags, so probably better not to remark what a quaint Irish tradition this is... it's firmly the British side of the community celebrating. Ironically of course they are celebrating something that happened in a foreign country, a country they claim is nothing to do with them, but this really is a land of many paradoxes.

• qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 10th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    I was eating a pizza last night and a bit of hot cheese burnt my palate. That's as far as it goes for me.

When parades are limited to their own areas, and this applies to both sorts of course, they're a fun day out. Scarva on the 13th attracts many thousands (not just a few) and has a very mellow party atmosphere on a nice sunny day, a bit like Slane or similar, with no trouble at all. That's of course because it's a Protestant district.
    Eventually, I'd expect all parades to be kept away from contentious districts. We can live in hope. Or we could rant on the internet.
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 10th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 2,392 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    Cotta
    I was eating a pizza last night and a bit of hot cheese burnt my palate. That's as far as it goes for me.

When parades are limited to their own areas, and this applies to both sorts of course, they're a fun day out. Scarva on the 13th attracts many thousands (not just a few) and has a very mellow party atmosphere on a nice sunny day, a bit like Slane or similar, with no trouble at all. That's of course because it's a Protestant district.
    Eventually, I'd expect all parades to be kept away from contentious districts. We can live in hope. Or we could rant on the internet.

Disagree respectively, one of the best Loyal Order parades is in the Nationalist Londonderry/Derry. It's about education and mutual respect rather than having ghettos.
    • Sambella
    • By Sambella 10th Jul 17, 4:19 PM
    • 319 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    Sambella
    Agreed.

Theres even the odd parade in the Republic of Ireland still !
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 10th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 2,392 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    Cotta
    Agreed.

Drum, Rossnowlagh and Raphoe.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 10th Jul 17, 4:27 PM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Drum, Rossnowlagh and Raphoe.
    Originally posted by Cotta
    Drum is famously the only village in the Republic of Ireland without any Catholics. I saw their band at rossnowlagh a few years ago - strangely, they'd no Drum.
    • duggan1
    • By duggan1 10th Jul 17, 4:56 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    duggan1
    Agreed.

Ahem, 'The occupied 26 counties'.
    • steveymp
    • By steveymp 10th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 3,062 Thanks
    steveymp
    Ahem, 'The occupied 26 counties'.
    Originally posted by duggan1
    New keyboard and screen required

Never drink diet coke whilst reading this thread
    I am trying, honest very trying according to my dear OH
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 10th Jul 17, 5:07 PM
    • 2,392 Posts
    • 962 Thanks
    Cotta
    Drum is infamously the only village in the Republic of Ireland without any Catholics. I saw their band at rossnowlagh a few years ago - strangely, they'd no Drum.
    Just corrected the above post for Outsider's benefit.
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 10th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Drum is also well known as the home village of FineGael cabinet minister and lady Sylvia hermon lookalike, heather humphreys. It's interesting that her dad is an orange man, and both grandfathers signed the ulster covenant. As another female politician with fair hair once said, funny old world, isn't it?
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 10th Jul 17, 5:35 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    Think I will Move to Drum .
    ~We are all going to hell and guess whos driving the bus~

*Norn Iron club Member 294*
    • duggan1
    • By duggan1 10th Jul 17, 8:05 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    duggan1
    Think I will Move to Drum .
    Originally posted by Cherryscone
    I hear it's bangin'.
    • Cherryscone
    • By Cherryscone 10th Jul 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 990 Thanks
    Cherryscone
    I hear it's bangin'.
    Originally posted by duggan1
    I had a Google there maybe I will stay up North in the peace and quiet
    ~We are all going to hell and guess whos driving the bus~

*Norn Iron club Member 294*
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 10th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Outsider_83
    From doing research the Orange order is in decline so leaving at the 12th will not last much longer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,154Posts Today

8,125Users online

Martin's Twitter