Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mjl17xx
    • By Mjl17xx 10th Jul 17, 10:55 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mjl17xx
    Invited to compliance interview (benefit fraud)
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:55 AM
    Invited to compliance interview (benefit fraud) 10th Jul 17 at 10:55 AM
    Hi all I am looking for some help.
    I have been asked to attend an interview under caution with the DWP to asses my claim of income support. I'm a mum of two young children (3&4) and I stupidly commited benefit fraud (yes I know I shouldn't have) but won't go into too much detail. I will be attending the interview and telling the officer the truth, admit my wrong doing and offer to pay the money back. My question is, it says on the letter that the DWP need to interview me in regards to my claim for income support. As they have evidence to support I had undeclared savings/income. If I'm really honest I got some inheritance and I genuinely didn't believe it was classed as income as I was not using it monthly to live on and was a lump sum. Either way I'm asking if they will investigate my claim alone for income support or will they contact the local council and HMRC with regarding my claims for child tax credits and housing benefit too? I'm trying to figure out how they work it out and how much they will tell me I have been overpaid etc etc. Please if anyone has been in my position can you please advise? I'm under the influence because this investigation is being carried out by the DWP they will only he investing my claim for the 1 benefit I receive from them (income support) I will be coming off everything in a couple of weeks anyway as I now have a job. Thank you
Page 2
    • newbutold
    • By newbutold 10th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 1,050 Thanks
    newbutold
    I revived the lump sum in march 2015
    And the amount I'm unsure of because i don't know if they'll take into consideration the other benefits from the council & HRMC or just the 1 benefit from DWP
    Originally posted by Mjl17xx
    Savings are not taken into account when working out Tax credits but they are taken into account for Housing Benefit.

Although if you earn interest over £300 pa on your savings, this interest is counted as income for tax credits.
    Last edited by newbutold; 10-07-2017 at 9:33 PM.
    If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 4,777 Posts
    • 9,623 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I'm assuming the prescription part is on the wrong thread.

Anyway, the DWP can access banks when they suspect fraud. There's fraud going on, big style. Maybe they got a report. Or info regarding the inheritance.

There's no defence to it. You can't just say 'why were you looking in my secret bank account with wads of cash in!?'
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Gaz1971
    • By Gaz1971 10th Jul 17, 9:35 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Gaz1971
    They can't just look at your account without your permission or a court order.
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 10th Jul 17, 10:05 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    dippy3103
    They can't just look at your account without your permission or a court order.
    Originally posted by Gaz1971
    Not true. Fraud investigators can request that authorised officers within the DWP request bank statements under the Social
    Security Fraud Act. This can only be done as part of a criminal Investigation & does not require a court order
    • Gaz1971
    • By Gaz1971 10th Jul 17, 10:39 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Gaz1971
    Not true. Fraud investigators can request that authorised officers within the DWP request bank statements under the Social
    Security Fraud Act. This can only be done as part of a criminal Investigation & does not require a court order
    Originally posted by dippy3103
    And who do they make the request to, exactly?
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 10th Jul 17, 10:56 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    dippy3103
    And who do they make the request to, exactly?
    The requests are dealt with authorised officers working within an intelligence unit. These requests go direct to the financial institution concerned.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/social-security-fraud-code-of-practice-on-obtaining-information
    • tomtom256
    • By tomtom256 11th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    tomtom256
    There is a whole rook of information that can be obtained using the act. Hence why more people are getting caught.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 11th Jul 17, 8:54 AM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 6,516 Thanks
    sangie595
    If this is an inheritance, I understand that benefits departments regularly check probate records anyway. It may simply be that it has taken then tome to catch up with the OP.

OP, it isn't a matter of "how many agencies will they share their information with". It's a matter of the fact that you have lied about your circumstances to them all. You failed to disclose the inheritance. So the amount you will owe is the amount you have defrauded from all of them. Because regardless of whether they are informed, if you carry on then you are still committing fraud and will get caught eventually, but at that point you won't have any opportunity to claim that you didn't know you had to declare the inheritance - which is a thin excuse at the best of times, but only works once! You need to remember that this is something that you could go to prison for, and intent is a big factor in criminal cases.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 11th Jul 17, 10:24 AM
    • 28,513 Posts
    • 72,645 Thanks
    Mojisola
    I'm assuming the prescription part is on the wrong thread.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    You're right. I'm helping someone who mixed up which type of ESA he was on - thought he was on CB but was on IR and had gone over the capital limits and got my replies mixed up.

He's lost out both ways because he paid all his health care costs but also went over the capital limit and has to pay money back.

While people are pursued to pay if they wrongly claim free prescriptions, etc, they don't repay if you paid when you were entitled to free health care.
    • Gaz1971
    • By Gaz1971 11th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Gaz1971
    The requests are dealt with authorised officers working within an intelligence unit. These requests go direct to the financial institution concerned.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/social-security-fraud-code-of-practice-on-obtaining-information
    Ok, but how do they find out in the first place? There have been a few threads recently about people getting letters but nobody seems to know how they were caught out in the first place.
    • ceecee1
    • By ceecee1 11th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    ceecee1
    Ok, but how do they find out in the first place? There have been a few threads recently about people getting letters but nobody seems to know how they were caught out in the first place.
    But that would be telling wouldn't it !

There are numerous ways that the DWP are informed about potential fraudulent claims - the vast majority are not from people phoning the hotline
    • Gaz1971
    • By Gaz1971 11th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Gaz1971
    Such as what?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 11th Jul 17, 1:48 PM
    • 4,777 Posts
    • 9,623 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Such as what?
    As stated previously the DWP gets information on inheritances. They say 'oooh Mrs x just inherited £50k yet she is still claiming benefits!'

If they didn't have ways of finding out, everyone would fraudulently claim and just be safe in the knowledge that no one could access their bank accounts to check.

Why are you making such an issue. If you ask for money from the public purse then you open your finances for scrutiny.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Gaz1971
    • By Gaz1971 11th Jul 17, 1:57 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Gaz1971
    Not making an issue FFS, just asking questions, it's ok to be curious. I often read in newspapers how they caught so and so playing football 3 times a week despite claiming to be wheelchair bound and always wondered how they find out, other than people reporting others.
    • Housing Benefit Officer
    • By Housing Benefit Officer 11th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 4,257 Thanks
    Housing Benefit Officer
    Such as what?
    Data Matching exercises. Google to see what it says.

If you have saving you will get interest. Interest is taxed. HMRC collect the tax. You can estimate someones savings from the interest they receive and the tax they pay on the interest.

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-committees/public-accounts/Correspondence/2015-20-Parliament/PAC-Response-final-signed-copy-of-follow-up-letter-to-3rd-party-data.pdf
    Last edited by Housing Benefit Officer; 11-07-2017 at 8:02 PM.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
    • Gaz1971
    • By Gaz1971 11th Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Gaz1971
    Now that is clever.
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 11th Jul 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1,729 Posts
    • 2,599 Thanks
    dippy3103
    Now that is clever.
    Does it make sense now?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,258Posts Today

7,107Users online

Martin's Twitter