Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mjl17xx
    • By Mjl17xx 10th Jul 17, 10:55 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mjl17xx
    Invited to compliance interview (benefit fraud)
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:55 AM
    Invited to compliance interview (benefit fraud) 10th Jul 17 at 10:55 AM
    Hi all I am looking for some help.
    I have been asked to attend an interview under caution with the DWP to asses my claim of income support. I'm a mum of two young children (3&4) and I stupidly commited benefit fraud (yes I know I shouldn't have) but won't go into too much detail. I will be attending the interview and telling the officer the truth, admit my wrong doing and offer to pay the money back. My question is, it says on the letter that the DWP need to interview me in regards to my claim for income support. As they have evidence to support I had undeclared savings/income. If I'm really honest I got some inheritance and I genuinely didn't believe it was classed as income as I was not using it monthly to live on and was a lump sum. Either way I'm asking if they will investigate my claim alone for income support or will they contact the local council and HMRC with regarding my claims for child tax credits and housing benefit too? I'm trying to figure out how they work it out and how much they will tell me I have been overpaid etc etc. Please if anyone has been in my position can you please advise? I'm under the influence because this investigation is being carried out by the DWP they will only he investing my claim for the 1 benefit I receive from them (income support) I will be coming off everything in a couple of weeks anyway as I now have a job. Thank you
Page 1
    • geoffken
    • By geoffken 10th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 336 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    geoffken
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:00 AM
    How long have you had the inheritance.
    They will go back that far if not further.
    How much do you think you have stolen?
    • Mjl17xx
    • By Mjl17xx 10th Jul 17, 11:04 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mjl17xx
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:04 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:04 AM
    I revived the lump sum in march 2015
    And the amount I'm unsure of because i don't know if they'll take into consideration the other benefits from the council & HRMC or just the 1 benefit from DWP
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 10th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 10,898 Posts
    • 12,779 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    Hi all I am looking for some help.
    I have been asked to attend an interview under caution with the DWP to asses my claim of income support. I'm a mum of two young children (3&4) and I stupidly commited benefit fraud (yes I know I shouldn't have) but won't go into too much detail. I will be attending the interview and telling the officer the truth, admit my wrong doing and offer to pay the money back. My question is, it says on the letter that the DWP need to interview me in regards to my claim for income support. As they have evidence to support I had undeclared savings/income. If I'm really honest I got some inheritance and I genuinely didn't believe it was classed as income as I was not using it monthly to live on and was a lump sum. Either way I'm asking if they will investigate my claim alone for income support or will they contact the local council and HMRC with regarding my claims for child tax credits and housing benefit too? I'm trying to figure out how they work it out and how much they will tell me I have been overpaid etc etc. Please if anyone has been in my position can you please advise? I'm under the influence because this investigation is being carried out by the DWP they will only he investing my claim for the 1 benefit I receive from them (income support) I will be coming off everything in a couple of weeks anyway as I now have a job. Thank you
    Originally posted by Mjl17xx
    Any capital over £6000 you have affects your claim for Income Support, housing benefit and council tax reduction.

Child Tax credits would not be affected unless the capital earned over £300 a year in interest.

Although you are being investigated by the DWP for Income Support there is little doubt that this will be reported to housing benefit and council tax and there may be an overpayment. it really depends on the amount of capital that you had and what you spent it on.

If you had more than £16000 then your Income Support should have ended. If it was less than this amount then it is possible that you might still have been entitled to some Income Support. If you were then HB and CT may not be affected.

Please tell us how much the inheritance was and what you spent it on.

Not reporting it in itself is a 'no no' but the outcome may depend on how much we are talking about.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    • 4,849 Posts
    • 9,777 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    If ones found out they'll all find out.

You're less likely to get penalties and fines if you admit it before being found out.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • cattie
    • By cattie 10th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    • 7,743 Posts
    • 5,273 Thanks
    cattie
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    Mjl17xx, they will only be looking at your IS claim & will not contact your local council or the tax people.

As you've said you are going along to tell the truth, which obviously is the best thing to do, then apart from them wanting the overpayment paid back, plus maybe a tariff on top (like a fine), they will close the case against you once the overpayment is fully repaid.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • Sillym00
    • By Sillym00 10th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Sillym00
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    Mjl17xx, they will only be looking at your IS claim & will not contact your local council or the tax people.
    Originally posted by cattie
    I'm not sure that's the case. If DWP end a benefit then HB/CC are informed and the benefits stopped initially. Perhaps they don't inform when it's fraud but I doubt it.
    • ceecee1
    • By ceecee1 10th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    ceecee1
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:00 PM
    I'm not sure that's the case. If DWP end a benefit then HB/CC are informed and the benefits stopped initially. Perhaps they don't inform when it's fraud but I doubt it.
    Originally posted by Sillym00
    DWP investigate all benefits now, including HB and tax credits.

It really depends on how much your inheritance was - if you had between £6k and £16k you would only be overpaid £1 for every £250 in savings over £6k.
    If you had over £16k both income support and housing benefit would be overpaid.

It is only the interest from savings that affects tax credits.

I am slightly confused as you say you have been asked to attend a compliance interview but then say you are to be interviewed under caution.

You perhaps need to be aware that if any resulting overpayment is over £8k and you are taken to court that the overpayment could be recovered under the proceeds of crime and you will need to pay the full amount within a timescale set by the Court.
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 10th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 2,619 Thanks
    dippy3103
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:16 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:16 PM

As you've said you are going along to tell the truth, which obviously is the best thing to do, then apart from them wanting the overpayment paid back, plus maybe a tariff on top (like a fine), they will close the case against you once the overpayment is fully repaid.
    Originally posted by cattie
    As CeeCe says, the DWP will investigate all your benefits other than council tax support
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 10th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    • 4,849 Posts
    • 9,777 Thanks
    marliepanda
    As CeeCe says, the DWP will investigate all your benefits other than council tax support
    Originally posted by dippy3103
    But believe me, they will find out about the investigation and that claim will be assessed by the council. Considering housing benefit is very often assessed by the same office that deals with council tax reduction...
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • DebtMan2017
    • By DebtMan2017 10th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    DebtMan2017
    Too many people in here seem to be avoiding the most important question......

How much was the inheritance ?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th Jul 17, 5:37 PM
    • 59,568 Posts
    • 42,256 Thanks
    soolin
    Too many people in here seem to be avoiding the most important question......

How much was the inheritance ?
    Originally posted by DebtMan2017
    I'm not sure what the point of your rolling face is?

However since people have both asked outright about the amount of the inheritance and also gone through the basics of how the amount received makes a difference to the benefits- perhaps you are not reading the same thread I am?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 10th Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    • 1,577 Posts
    • 1,682 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    http://www.advicenow.org.uk/guides/how-deal-interview-under-caution
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 23,611 Posts
    • 13,748 Thanks
    xylophone
    If I'm really honest I got some inheritance and I genuinely didn't believe it was classed as income as I was not using it monthly to live on and was a lump sum.
    It wasn't income (although you may have been receiving some savings income from it) but it was capital, and there are rules about MTBs and capital.

I should think that receipt of the inheritance would also have qualified as a change of circumstances which should have been reported.

Once you own more than a certain amount of capital you are expected to use it against expenses formerly covered by benefits.
    • dippy3103
    • By dippy3103 10th Jul 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 2,619 Thanks
    dippy3103
    But believe me, they will find out about the investigation and that claim will be assessed by the council. Considering housing benefit is very often assessed by the same office that deals with council tax reduction...
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    Oh there is no doubting that
    • Gaz1971
    • By Gaz1971 10th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Gaz1971
    How did they find out? They can't just look in your account any time they feel like it, it's against the law, and the fact you claim benefits does not allow them to ignore the law, so someone must have reported you for some reason.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 10th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 28,631 Posts
    • 72,949 Thanks
    Mojisola
    How did they find out? They can't just look in your account any time they feel like it, it's against the law, and the fact you claim benefits does not allow them to ignore the law, so someone must have reported you for some reason.
    Originally posted by Gaz1971
    www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/penalty-charges/prescription-exemption-checking-service
    • Gaz1971
    • By Gaz1971 10th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Gaz1971
    What has that got to do with it?
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 10th Jul 17, 8:58 PM
    • 28,631 Posts
    • 72,949 Thanks
    Mojisola
    How did they find out?
    What has that got to do with it?
    That could be how they found out.
    • Gaz1971
    • By Gaz1971 10th Jul 17, 9:00 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    Gaz1971
    How the hell does applying for free prescriptions lead them to find out you have money in the bank?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

987Posts Today

6,127Users online

Martin's Twitter