Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 10th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    • 339Posts
    • 215Thanks
    Marvqn1
    Tax Return - Description of business
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:29 AM
    Tax Return - Description of business 10th Jul 17 at 10:29 AM
    When you fill out your tax return, if you do more than one type of thing online, what do you enter as description of business? Do you just enter the main type of thing you do, or everything i.e. surveys?
Page 1
    • ANGELFLOWER
    • By ANGELFLOWER 10th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    ANGELFLOWER
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:05 PM
    Try using a description that can group things together. I use a description of Market Research to cover things like surveys. You should not however group everything together if the work is not similar. E.G. if you are a child minder then that would be different to surveys obviously, and each should be completed seperately as different lines of income. I use my name as the name of the business in each case and then different descriptions for each line of income. I have done it like this for several years and HMRC have been happy.
    Last edited by ANGELFLOWER; 10-07-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 10th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 339 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    Try using a description that can group things together. I use a description of Market Research to cover things like surveys. You should not however group everything together if the work is not similar. E.G. if you are a child minder then that would be different to surveys obviously, and each should be completed seperately as different lines of income. I use my name as the name of the business in each case and then different descriptions for each line of income. I have done it like this for several years and HMRC have been happy.
    Originally posted by ANGELFLOWER
    1. Does this mean that if work is different, but it is online work, then it should be declared in the same tax return and doesn't require a separate one?

2. I thought there is only one place to enter a business description. Do you use one tax return for different lines of income?
    Last edited by Marvqn1; 10-07-2017 at 1:02 PM.
    • ANGELFLOWER
    • By ANGELFLOWER 10th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    ANGELFLOWER
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    I complete my tax return online now. When I did it on paper I did a separate page for each line of business. One actual tax return, but separate pages for each line. So more than one page SA103s this year for the paper form.

I have always done a separate page for each line of business. I work online in different capacities and do a different page for each. If you worked in a pub and in a supermarket these would be classified as separate employments, so just because you work online why would it be different. I do remember phoning HMRC when I first started and I was advised to do a separate page for each line of self employment. Why not ring them to see what they advise. If you can make a description to encompass all then OK, but I would say a description of 'online' would not be descriptive enough as it needs to describe the actual work.
    I am obviously not an expert and I can only tell you what I do. Maybe someone else can offer more insight.
    Last edited by ANGELFLOWER; 10-07-2017 at 1:33 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,681Posts Today

7,096Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin