Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MichLambo
    • By MichLambo 10th Jul 17, 8:30 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    MichLambo
    Bungalow not getting any viewings feedback appreciated
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:30 AM
    Bungalow not getting any viewings feedback appreciated 10th Jul 17 at 8:30 AM
    Hi all, we are selling our bungalow and don't seem to be getting any viewings, we have been on the market for four weeks and have only had three.We did get an offer for the full price but they changed their mind Our estate agent suggests a price reduction as other bungalows in our immediate area are cheaper, most of them are a lot smaller and in my opinion not nearly as nice. We would appreciate some feedback. Won't let me post a link but the our postcode is CT11 7AP

thanks in advance
Page 3
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Jul 17, 3:14 PM
    • 8,009 Posts
    • 4,770 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I wouldn't call it a three bed, to me it's a two bed using the dining room as a third bedroom. A three bedroom house with no dining area makes no sense to me and there's no space in the kitchen for a table, so I wouldn't expect to pay a three-bed property price.
    Also, the astro-turf would be a major turn off for me.
    Originally posted by fairy lights

Our 1970s estate has two designs of bungalow .The two bedroomed has two bedrooms ,living room, kitchen and bathroom. The three bedroomed has three bedrooms, a larger living room, larger kitchen (enough room for table and chairs) and larger bathroom. No plans ever showed a dining room.

My sister and husband who sold their two bedroomed bungalow(elsewhere), originally had the same as above, but knocked through a wall, making a bedroom into a dining room, as they only need one bedroom. The three bedroomed that they are moving to has the same as mentioned above ,too, so it's quite common for bungalows to have no specific dining area.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 10th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 2,656 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I think that the bungalow is overpriced for that road. There will be a top price for that road.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 10th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 1,198 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    My thanks to every one for your feedback, feel a little depressed now.
    Originally posted by MichLambo
    I can see how you may feel that way, as you can get some strong opinions here, but sometimes a few honest truths are what is needed.

If a property isn't selling, or attracting serious interest, it's always the price. We can argue about whether it's called a 2 bed or a 3 bed, and you can get some better photos done, but ultimately if you make the price competitive enough it will sell.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 10th Jul 17, 4:30 PM
    • 27,959 Posts
    • 71,100 Thanks
    Mojisola
    I
    If a property isn't selling, or attracting serious interest, it's always the price. We can argue about whether it's called a 2 bed or a 3 bed, and you can get some better photos done, but ultimately if you make the price competitive enough it will sell.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA
    But sometimes, making the suggested changes can result in the house selling at or near the asking prices so it's worth doing what you can.
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 10th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Tiners
    What have you got to feel depressed about OP?

OK so you made an honest mistake in thinking your property was worth far more than it actually is but so what? The perceived value of houses is all just monopoly money anyway.

And you're not alone, over 50% of all houses brought to market subsequently get withdrawn after failing to achieve a sale, so there are plenty of other people who are equally deluded (no offence intended) about the value of their properties.... It makes me laugh when people pay so much credence to the Rightmove Asking Price Index, it really should be renamed the Rightmove Delusion Index.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 10th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 7,042 Posts
    • 7,511 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I am in the bungalow market, so to speak. The biggest issue for me is the amount of concrete in the front and that it is heavily overlooked. That in its own is a deal breaker. Price can always be adjusted.
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Most of that is the road !
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 10th Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 2,398 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheer up OP - you have got an absolutely gorgeous dog so, happy days
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 10th Jul 17, 6:24 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 790 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Quite simply I don't like the front view. Two different brick colours and a lack of windows, even though the floorplan shows a window for one of the front bedrooms. Apart from that it looks nice.
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 10th Jul 17, 10:50 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 619 Thanks
    gonebust
    My thanks to every one for your feedback, feel a little depressed now.
    Originally posted by MichLambo
    Why?

You have had a bunch of complete strangers look at you home and each one gave their honest opinion.

Everyone of us who have sold a house have thought ours was bigger, better, worth more then our neighbours and let's be honest, estate agents will always support that view ( for at least six weeks anyway )

You have had honest feedback from totally uninterested parties, that's worth its weight in salt at least

Take what's been said, listen to it, and decide your next move

I'm married to a builder so for me I'd be ripping out the "ensuite" and returning that bedroom to a dining room because for me, that house needs a dining room and for us that would be the cheapest option to get the best price. You may need to leave it as a cloakroom and a dining room. You may also need to spend a few bob on shielding the garden somehow.

None of it is insurmountable. Perhaps you won't get the price you have been promised. You have to decide what you need to do to move forward.
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 10th Jul 17, 11:37 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    jessex1990
    Are there wardrobes in the bedrooms? I couldn't see any in the pictures which makes me think "where are my clothes going to go?", also the dog in the picture makes me wonder if the house will smell and needs a good clean - i have seen houses where the smell of dog hits you as you walk in the door and the owners are oblivious to it.
    • Tiners
    • By Tiners 11th Jul 17, 7:21 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    Tiners
    Why?

You have had a bunch of complete strangers look at you home and each one gave their honest opinion.

Everyone of us who have sold a house have thought ours was bigger, better, worth more then our neighbours and let's be honest, estate agents will always support that view ( for at least six weeks anyway )

You have had honest feedback from totally uninterested parties, that's worth its weight in salt at least

Take what's been said, listen to it, and decide your next move

I'm married to a builder so for me I'd be ripping out the "ensuite" and returning that bedroom to a dining room because for me, that house needs a dining room and for us that would be the cheapest option to get the best price. You may need to leave it as a cloakroom and a dining room. You may also need to spend a few bob on shielding the garden somehow.

None of it is insurmountable. Perhaps you won't get the price you have been promised. You have to decide what you need to do to move forward.
    Originally posted by gonebust
    Not everyone... When I put my last house on the market there were 3 nearby comparable houses up for sale, all at what I considered to be greedy, deluded and unrealistic asking prices.

I insisted on an putting mine on at around 10% below these other houses despite the usual over valuing and general waffle from the EA's.

My house still took 4 months to sell, so it didn't exactly get snapped up as a bargain, meanwhile of the 3 other houses... 2 got withdrawn after failing to find a buyer and the other is still sat on the market 3 years later
    Last edited by Tiners; 11-07-2017 at 8:12 AM.
    • eurofly
    • By eurofly 11th Jul 17, 8:09 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    eurofly
    I think you should remove the writing not he walls and maybe make the lounge more neutral the purple wall could be a bit in your face just a suggestion.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 11th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 29,436 Posts
    • 17,592 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Offers in Excess of

This is basically saying you want more than X and won't negotiate below.

Some will ignore it but a lot won't and I suspect those that won't could be part of your target market.

This means for me that if the price is already a bit peaky(based on first scan) for whats available I might be dealing with unrealistic expectations so won't bother investigating further unless something sticks out.

If the price is at the bottom end, potentially good value at the price worth investigating and maybe viewing to see where I would want to pitch an offer if I liked it enough.

knocking £10k off and leaving offers over is adding to the unrealistic if already pricey.

Expanding the more like this to 1m to bring in some Broadstairs postscodes I think you are a bit top heavy on price.

I think you should have dropped the offers over or come under £300k with that change.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th Jul 17, 12:31 PM
    • 4,513 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    WELL over-priced, and won`t get much interest IMO until it is properly priced. Over 200k would be pushing it IMO.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 11th Jul 17, 12:34 PM
    • 4,513 Posts
    • 2,046 Thanks
    Crashy Time
    For the money you want I would want a decent sized bathroom (with a bath)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

201Posts Today

1,317Users online

Martin's Twitter