Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 10th Jul 17, 7:41 AM
    • 1,537Posts
    • 3,893Thanks
    ani*fan
    Ditching the last of the pizza debt
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:41 AM
    Ditching the last of the pizza debt 10th Jul 17 at 7:41 AM
    Hi everyone

I'm an old-timer around here and have managed to reduce my debt from £18,780 in February 2014 to £6,750 today. That's £12,030 paid off and I could not have done it without the help of Martin and everyone on here. Thank you, lovely people!

I thought I'd start a new diary as my circumstances have changed considerably since Feb 2014 and it feels like a whole new stage of life. I'm about to be married; this is all saved for, who knew I could save? I've also bought a flat with OH; the deposit and fees were all saved for with some help from future in-laws too, who knew anyone would ever give me a mortgage? I've finished my training course, who knew I could do that? Things are good right now and the final hurdle is getting rid of this debt. OH refers to it as 'pizza debt', the debt I have nothing to show for, when I bought stuff I didn't need, for no reason, like takeaway pizza. It made me laugh and it's absolutely true.

So, the debt looks like this:

HSBC £4,950 0% 'til October 2018
    Overdraft £1,800 0% 'til September 2020

HSBC is the target debt and I pay a fixed £150 every month towards this, roughly £20 over the minimum amount. The overdraft is not being paid off at the moment, other than once a month when my wage goes in. I discovered my credit is good when we got the mortgage and I'm trying to keep it that way.

The flat we bought was an absolute bargain and has the potential to be beautiful but is in serious need of repair. This is the main ongoing financial concern at the moment and I am on it to keep costs right down. So far so good, but we'll see.

A few things I've discovered along this debt-busting journey:
    • I've become quite good at managing money, but it can all go to bits in a moment so I still need to work hard at keeping on top of it.
    • Getting my debt on 0% was the single biggest factor helping to reduce the debt.
    • Car free living was the second biggest factor and I hope to never own a car again.
    • Keeping living costs down is very satisfying.

So that's where I'm at. Feel free to comment, advise, whatever. It's lovely to be sharing this last part of the journey with you all.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich.
Page 5
    • angela110660
    • By angela110660 6th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 1,927 Thanks
    angela110660
    You are doing brill - well done. Are you doing the Uber Frugal Month challenge featured on the Frugalwoods site? I have signed up for their daily emails of motivation and trying VERY hard to be as frugal as I can. It is just getting rest of family onboard that is difficult.....
    Free films - 2009: saw 7 films. 2010 saw 7 films. 2011 saw 7 films. 2012 saw 5 films;2013 saw 7 films; 2014 and 2015 saw 1 in each. Nothing since!
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 7th Jan 18, 11:07 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 3,893 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Kitchen makeover sounds brilliant. I love when a space feels completely different just with a few changes.
    Originally posted by hiddenshadow
    Me too, but I went into this one with no faith whatsoever that it would make a difference. Just goes to show. I'm now really proud of what we did.

You are doing brill - well done. Are you doing the Uber Frugal Month challenge featured on the Frugalwoods site? I have signed up for their daily emails of motivation and trying VERY hard to be as frugal as I can. It is just getting rest of family onboard that is difficult.....
    Originally posted by angela110660
    Hi there angela and nice to meet you. I do enjoy the frugalwoods but haven't signed up to their January challenge. I'll be taking some advice and information from their site though, and anywhere else I can find help. Getting OH on board has been the single biggest helpful thing in getting this challenge going. Good luck with your family! Do you have a diary? I'll go have a look.

So, we have a guest coming to stay next month and no bed for her to sleep in. I've been on gumtree and replied to an ad for a free double divan with mattress, used as a guest bed so hardly used at all. My fingers are crossed in anticipation of a huge score. Van hire for an hour comes in at £8.75 and my new in-laws have a headboard we could use for it.

I've also been on freecycle and noticed a woman who is moving out of the country and giving away lots of stuff. I have messaged about a massive mirror I'm hoping to use for the bathroom and also the contents of her kitchen cupboards (!) Tins and pasta and rice and stuff. Let's see if she gets back to me.

I started to strip the wallpaper in the bathroom yesterday when OH was out. I discovered not one but 3 layers of paper so despite being the smallest room, with lots of wall space covered with tiles, it is taking the longest time. But I will get there. We need some white bathroom paint to mix with the last of the blue kitchen paint to get a similar tone but lighter. And that mirror would help make it look lovely. And some lino, but first things first.

This is such good fun. And OH is currently making us pancakes with chocolate spread from scratch for Sunday brunch. Could life be any better?
    • misstara
    • By misstara 7th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 2,532 Posts
    • 17,766 Thanks
    misstara
    OH is currently making us pancakes with chocolate spread from scratch for Sunday brunch. Could life be any better?
    Originally posted by ani*fan
    Sounds amazing . Hope you get the bed and mirror.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1141.10 (50.4% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £703.58 (11.8% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 1/60
    Emergency fund - £30/£1000. Car fund - £75/£1000.
    Mini Targets in January
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 3/6. Groceries target £82.80/£150. NSD target 9/18.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 7th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 3,893 Thanks
    ani*fan
    Thanks misstara, good news, we got the bed! And from such a lovely couple too. I asked why they weren't selling it instead and they said they had tried but no-one would buy it so they were just giving it away as the new one arrives this week. It was only ever used as a guest bed and it's absolutely lovely and in great condition. Definite score.

I don't know about the mirror yet, or the contents of that lady's cupboard but it's a bit hilarious that I'm dying to get my hands on some old tins of kidney beans and a few egg noodles. Think I'm taking this frugal-ing business a bit too far?
    Last edited by ani*fan; 07-01-2018 at 6:17 PM.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Jan 18, 1:31 PM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 29,205 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I need to join you on the Frugal challenge because I've fallen into a land of complacency and not thinking before I spend. Brought back to earth with a huge bump of a vet bill so I'll be following along here with interest.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 10th Jan 18, 5:57 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 3,893 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I have set myself a challenge of walking to work and back every day this month. I'm ashamed to say that with the cold weather and snow, I had been taking the bus now and then, and a single ticket had then become a day ticket so I could do more than one journey. There is no need for this. I have hats and gloves and boots to keep me cosy. And let's face it, after the excess of Christmas I really need the exercise.

I am on track to save every penny I can this month.
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 11th Jan 18, 6:52 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 3,893 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I've been getting the shopping delivered from Mr A this month and our final delivery, at the cost of £1 arrived last night. We have so far spent £181 on food this month, the budget is £200 but £20 is being tucked away for the wedding in the Spring. This is a longer month than usual as I got paid before Christmas and used this month's budget to buy the Christmas dinner. Hmm. It seemed like a good idea at the time. We may not have enough food to see us through but I would be so pleased if we could somehow make it last. I am going to have to get very creative with rice and pasta. No word still from the mirror lady. I really need the contents of her cupboards this month!

Happy debt busting everyone.
    Last edited by ani*fan; 11-01-2018 at 6:53 AM. Reason: typo
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 13th Jan 18, 7:35 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 3,893 Thanks
    ani*fan
    I have an mse score to report. My poor aching legs are not happy with being back at work and all the walking. I had an appointment in town yesterday and decided to take the bus. I paid with my debit card and 2 tickets were put through instead of one. The driver apologised wildly then refunded both tickets, so I got my journey for free.

Feeling a little pleased with myself.

I have budgeted every penny this month, all the bills have been paid and everything is in order. We just have no cash in any accounts now. As a result, I will be having multiple no spend days. We have enough food (maybe), me and OH are walking to work and back (might need some ibuprofen for the legs but I think we have some) and payday is 1 week and 6 days away.

My mum is visiting today, next weekend I'm going into town to spend my Christmas vouchers, the decorating/DIY continues and all is well in the world.

Some days are just good, aren't they? Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Jan 18, 11:28 AM
    • 4,799 Posts
    • 27,287 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Such a lovely post, thanks for sharing.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £78,892.61, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £4,075.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £355.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 9/32 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 14th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 29,205 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I'm with you on the nsd's ani as I'm completely broke for the next 17 days as well. No matter how well planned I am, January is always tough. I'm pleased that you're not letting it spoil your mood though.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • ani*fan
    • By ani*fan 15th Jan 18, 3:55 AM
    • 1,537 Posts
    • 3,893 Thanks
    ani*fan
    And thank you INOD and crazy_cat_lady. It's such a help to have others in the same boat who understand things.

I had a lovely time with my mum. She arrived with a bottle of wine and some chocolate cake, so our reduced price pizza lunch was turned into a fabulous treat. I'm really appreciating things more which is great. We had a good catch up and I helped with some more wedding photos she wanted so all good.

This week looks a bit dreary. January is tough, and there are no more treats on the horizon. I was given a spa voucher for Christmas and am pondering booking me and OH in for a couples massage next weekend. I'll see if the voucher will cover the cost.

Now I'm going to try and get some sleep.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,455Posts Today

10,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin