Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 10th Jul 17, 6:34 AM
    • 6,572Posts
    • 37,890Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small DFW things will you be doing this week? WC 10/07
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:34 AM
    What small DFW things will you be doing this week? WC 10/07 10th Jul 17 at 6:34 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
Page 3
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Jul 17, 7:13 AM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning opps I've overslept and true to form I'm drinking coffee rather than springing to action!

katy try not to worry about what is done. You can recupe some over spend by cutting back in other areas. when madam came to us I was out of work and hardly any income. I only went to free activities with her. Now she wants everything so it was a wise move x

Julie, hugs x

things for today:

* madam's lunch made
    * me and oh having lo couscous and fruit
    * take note of mileage
    * work hard, don't chat and get through what I need to!
    * water greenhouse veggies
    * hang out washing
    * all meals from stores

That's all! Better get a move on!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Jul 17, 8:08 AM
    • 4,610 Posts
    • 35,399 Thanks
    DawnW
    Morning all
    Lots to do today, so I am starting with a good list to make sure I get through all of it!
    General tidy up!
    Peg out washing and do more
    Drs appointment again this morning
    Make potato, spinach and chickpea curry, using HG spinach and potatoes
    Make braised steak for dinner
    Use some HG French beans with dinner and freeze the rest, as we are going away again this weekend
    Make a list of what we need to take with us for the weekend, I will need to do a bit of shopping, but am aiming to keep this to a minimum
    Water anything in the garden that needs it
    Dog walk later

There will be more, so I will be back later to update!
    Last edited by DawnW; 13-07-2017 at 8:33 AM.
    Food/ household/supermarket spends for November - £223.90 / £250
    NSDs for November 10/12

• Lottebear
    • By Lottebear 13th Jul 17, 8:20 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 3,281 Thanks
    Lottebear
    Hello All,

This month has resulted in many unbudgeted expenses and has left things tight until the end of the month.

Mostly DD birthday parties and gifts for family birthday and retirement have wiped me out.

I did a large ship yesterday as I had a £12 off coupon, so the fridge, freezer and cupboards are well stocked so I am hoping I can get to the end of the month without another large shop.

Cashed in Survey points for Amazon credit, the plan is to have a cheap Christmas! £25 so worth it.

Relisted the lego cards on ebay, the market has dropped off but there are still people buying.

Day at home so some tidying up and sorting out, there are a couple of bits to list on Ebay

I need to pop to the shops but will stick to the list.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 12,890 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Dawn can you post the recipe to your curry please,, I was just contemplating to have for tea and I have all those things (and not much else!) sounds lovely.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 13th Jul 17, 9:11 AM
    • 349 Posts
    • 2,881 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    purps I was just about to ask the same, whether Dawn could post her curry recipe. DD is vegetarian, but it is a meal both of us would enjoy

katy_ann at least you have recognised what you are doing now, and are trying to do something about it before eating into any more of your savings. It's a shame that they are closing everywhere but see what your local library has to offer. The activities that my DD and niece used to do there were great, and they would have story time and music sessions for the little ones, just needed to get your name down quick but some were open sessions.

I have an awards ceremony I have to attend tonight but I'm not sure what today holds. I fancy doing a tip run, we desperately need to do one but have been waiting for the weather to become nicer
    I also slept in today. Just about to start cat cleaning and I need to do some paperwork.
    Filled the oven while cooking tea last night including braising the turkey steaks. I only caught missing kitty now home going after a steak later while they were cooling down......that kitty has definately become more feisty and braver
    They are all boxed up now. Going to have a late lunch with one and have 3 for meals to go into the freezer.
    FVD I know what you mean about not going out and making small talk. I'm exactly the same, I would much rather be at home with my own company with the cats doing what I want to do. Life is definately way too short. Good luck for your son today

Have a good day everyone x
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 4,951 Posts
    • 19,611 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Morning all, hopefully all your good wishes have paid off as DS thinks his interview went well. At the close they said they will be in touch next week about hours which sounds really positive

I had a HM strawberry muffin for breakfast and am just on my way into work now (I will make the time up tomorrow.)

Lunch will be soup again and dinner tonight will be spaghetti Bol from the freezer, just need to cook some spaghetti to go with it.

I've watered the veggies and anything else that needed it, I will give everything a good soak tonight.

I need to package and drop off my WBB trade tonight, those little amounts all push me a little further away from the overdraft limit.

DS's smart shirts are all a little tight so I will need to get him a new one, I will put the old ones on the bay of e as they are all Burtons ones and nice quality.

Have a good day all
    Make £5 a day in November £36.28/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Jul 17, 11:18 AM
    • 4,610 Posts
    • 35,399 Thanks
    DawnW
    Potato, chick pea and spinach curry:
    400 g potatoes (new ones are best as they don't disintegrate) cut into chunks
    I bag spinach (or whatever is ready in the garden, in my case), washed and chopped up a bit
    1 medium sized onion or a couple of shallots, sliced
    2 or 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
    I tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    I tin chopped tomatoes
    A couple of teaspoons of oil
    2 teaspoons ground cumin (or whole seeds, bashed up a bit)
    1teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon chilli powder
    salt and pepper
    Some coriander to scatter if you like

Soften the onion and garlic in the oil over a gentle heat for a few minutes, then add the spices and potatoes and stir to coat the veg. Cook for a few more minutes to toast the spices.
    Add the chopped tomatoes and 200 ml water, cover and cook over a gentle heat till the potatoes are nearly soft. This can take 60 mins or more on a really low heat. The idea is to keep the potatoes in chunks.
    Add the chick peas and cook for another 20-30 minutes, leave the lid off the pan if it looks a bit runny, otherwise leave it on.
    Just before serving, add the spinach and stir till it starts to melt into the sauce. Season to taste. Add chopped coriander to serve, if you like.
    This one is best served in bowls, with a warm naan bread
    Food/ household/supermarket spends for November - £223.90 / £250
    NSDs for November 10/12

• Nagme
    • By Nagme 13th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    Nagme
    Cooking On A Bootstrap, cheap recipes ( Link) -- this link doesn't work for me!

My trusty fitflops are breaking, so I am going to look in the shoe box for a flat shoelace to try and mend the breaking toe thing piece. I've only had them 3 years. Gaffer tape didn't work.

We ran out of carpet machine cleaner and the house is on the market, so I used warm water mixed with vinegar and dishwashing liquid. I sprinkled baking powder on any marks on the carpet. It worked very well! If anyone else tries this I recommend opening windows to stop nasal hairs burning from vinegar fumes.

The washing up bowl is in the sink collecting water for the garden. We have no money to spruce up the garden but a hoe and weed has freshened up the beds.

Not using the car today as it has a drink problem (poor mpg) so I will walk to the shops for cereal for DS.
    Last edited by Nagme; 13-07-2017 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Typos. So many typos.
    • little pink purse
    • By little pink purse 13th Jul 17, 11:19 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 3,657 Thanks
    little pink purse
    Morning every one

its been a long hard week I've managed to get man flu grr
    been working then bed starting to feel better

managed to do 2 nsds
    today

Check banking
    bills
    hoover
    bins out
    shopping check shops

chase letting agent been a nightmare I had to tell them the rent was not paid unsure how good they are as a company feel like they get there money for nothing xxx

better get my finger out have a great day xx
    nsd July 9/15
    food spend £107/£150
    July extra hrs 30/100
    £78k must go by 2020 xx
    small steps 10k at a time
    started 31/06/17 2111/10k so far
    • Peabody
    • By Peabody 13th Jul 17, 11:22 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    Peabody
    Getting back into the MSE way

- Eating out the freezer (honestly had food for 2 whole weeks!)
    - Been through the finances, know where I am over spending, where I can cut back.
    - looked at the debts, worked out interest rates and formed plan of attack.
    - Been told by my lovely fianc! he'll love me no matter what

Right off to get a diary going again!
    Total at 9th Feb 12 - £17,500 Now - £6,851.05
    Loan - £6022.05, Card 1 - £3293.85, Card 2 - £2287.04, Sofa - £825.00
    Wedding Pot - £0.00
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 13th Jul 17, 1:26 PM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 18,270 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Frugalistas,
    On today's Not Spending It list:
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch & work snacks.
    *Big pile of ironing but only did what needed it & switched iron off for last garment & just used residual heat.
    *No new jeans required. I now fit back properly into a lovely pair which I temporarily outgrew (too much baking!) & am wearing them today.
    *Water & feed veg garden.
    *Pick home-grown french beans for adding to a stir-fry tonight.
    *Bake sourdough loaf. That's in progress. Also remembered to feed jar ready for the next one.
    *Knit more Christmas present.
    *Pick more sweetpeas - pretty & free natural room fragrance.
    *Do meal plans for next week.
    *May go for a walk if the rain holds off......could do with popping by nearest bus stop to jot down bus times as I can never remember them.
    *Started 2 new library books.
    Ok, time to go & see how much that dough has risen. Love to all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    • 4,951 Posts
    • 19,611 Thanks
    FatVonD
    I've just converted 1280 Eon points to Clubcard points. I'm not sure I want any more meals out though, I may save them for when there's a chance to double up for something or other, or even save them for shopping if it means not buying something just for the sake of using them.
    Make £5 a day in November £36.28/£150 (October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 13th Jul 17, 7:06 PM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    this is the chickpea curry I do. It says sweet potatoes but I've only ever done it with regular. I had fresh coriander (always either grown - so easy! or bought when reduced for pence and then shoved in the freezer ;-) )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sweet_potato_and_68565
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 13th Jul 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 12,890 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Dawn thank you for the recipe, it's delicious We had naan in the freezer, so it was perfect. I'll try yours too determined i have a bit of a thing for chickpeas at the moment I made boiled up a bag today and made hummus with half. DH is happy

Finally went shopping after getting practically nothing for last two weeks, fridge had 4 carrots and avocado, 2 lemons, half a tin of beans, couple of spoons of yogurt and some cheese in it (plus various sauces etc...) Stuck to my list apart from some YS fish, YS part baked bread, YS muffins, and grapes (not ys, just missing from my list ) all YS items now in freezer

No spends other than that. Packed for another weekend away, apart from a few bits. But have a corporate day first so likely won't post in the morning as I'll be away early. At least I'm getting breakfast, lunch and dinner provided

Managed to vacuum the lounge, despite the vacuum being kaput! Had to get DD to keep her finger on the button to keep it on, think we'll have to get another, may try second hand shop on Monday as they do reconditioned dys0ns - see if they have any in.

All good apart from that, no exercise managed but just seriously lacking on time, also means i can't spend anything either.
    • katy_ann
    • By katy_ann 14th Jul 17, 9:07 AM
    • 1,005 Posts
    • 5,354 Thanks
    katy_ann
    Morning everyone! Thank you all so much for your messages! I can do this! Sorry I didn't post yesterday my little boy ended up in hospital with a fever, he didn't sleep well at all but he seems brighter this morning!

Today I need to do a few loads of washing as LO was sick over pretty much everything! I also will continue to eat healthy and stick to my diet!

I think today will just go by however LO is feeling! I'll check in later anyway!
    Officially Debt Free on 10/12/2015 | Married on 02/07/2016
    Mummy to a little prince 25/11/2016

£2 Savers Club 2017 No.4
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 14th Jul 17, 11:07 AM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 18,270 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Morning Campers,
    I'll start with a moan this morning, if I may! Only just paid for a new washing machine this week, following the recent dramatic demise of our old one. Now, after hoovering just the conservatory & lobby, the Dyson has carked it! Started sounding like elderly tubercular sheep......then there was a horrible grinding noise followed by an unmistakable smell of burning. Unplugged it quickly. I did once have a vacuum cleaner spectacularly explode while I was using it. Flame, sparks, blackened parts, the lot. Didn't feel like a repeat performance so it looks like more money will be spent this weekend buying a new one. OK, that's the moan. On with the list:
    *Home made sourdough bread for breakfast. Mr f was raving about it. True, the flavour & texture is good, but I still think the loaves (my third one & I don't have the right equipment) look more like artillery than actual bread.
    *Cleaned as much of the house as I could given that I had to resort to dustpan & brush. Another splurge of charity bags through the letterbox this week supplied my free bin bags, anyway.
    *Copied out Dawn's curry recipe, for which many thanks. I went off my chickpea curry recipe, so it will be good to try some new ones.
    *Washed hair & let it dry naturally. Someone actually asked me last week if I'd been to the hairdresser's.......I had let my hair dry naturally & scrunched it up a bit. I thought I looked like mrs frizzy, but each to their own.......
    *Write shopping list. After last week's overspend, this needs to involve a lot of careful cupboard-checking.
    *Been asked to bake for a charity thing. Have chosen cakes for which I don't need to buy much & if I do, it's ingredients I need anyway.
    *Changed bed linen & loaded in washer ready for a cheap cycle on overnight tariff.
    *Do a few surveys - I am not getting as much money from these at the moment because my participation has lapsed badly. Will try to catch up a bit.
    *Knit more Christmas present.
    *Jacket potato & freezer dive night tonight. Mr f has rounded up lots of assorted leftovers from freezer to make into one of his epic man stews......apparently this one is going to be 'legendary'. Hmmmm. Suffice it to say I have gone for a leftover portion of chilli on mine!
    *Make list of all the jobs I could usefully do in town tomorrow when I have the car & the option of free parking.
    *Research best prices on new vacuum cleaners. BAH!!!!
    Have a good Friday all. Hope all the poorlies pick up soon,
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £120
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £294
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 14th Jul 17, 2:32 PM
    • 4,951 Posts
    • 19,611 Thanks
    FatVonD
    Afternoon all!

My own vacuum cleaner is a bit temperamental too at the moment Foxgloves but recovers after a rest!

All food from home today apart from a posh packet of crisps from pr@t. DS is out tonight so I may have a solitary chicken and mushroom slice that is sitting in the freezer for dinner.

Last night I bought a couple of things I was short of for making courgette and lemon muffins so I can get around to making those later this evening or at the weekend.

I've just had email confirmation that my second z@pper cheque has been printed (this is from a trade completed in mid May), let's see how long it takes them to post it now.

I actually did some ironing last night so will attempt to finish the pile tonight before the new influx at the weekend.

Apparently the new manager at the local Mr T has changed the system. Things will now be reduced by 70% at about 5pm and then will be reduced no further. I arrived yesterday just in time to see someone leaving with four packs of Finest Madeira chicken at 70% off! I'm hoping we get off early today and, if needs be, I will change my hours next week to get there a little earlier. This might actually suit me as, while it won't be so cheap, there won't be the current hanging around and there may be more choice.

Have a good weekend those of you that are checking out!
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 14th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 4,951 Posts
    • 19,611 Thanks
    FatVonD
    DS isn't feeling very well so didn't go out so dinner was a pack of YS gluten-free chicken sausages from the freezer. I bought ready-made mashed potato, even though we have potatoes, but if I hadn't I was thinking takeaway curry so £1.30 on ready-made mashed potato saved me about £20!

I checked out the YS stuff and only bought two packs of raspberries at 25% off and some cream cakes that were only reduced by about 20p but we are in for the night, we're both fed for not a fortune and I don't have to get up early for anything tomorrow!

I've also just had an eBay sale!
    Last edited by FatVonD; 14-07-2017 at 8:37 PM.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 15th Jul 17, 8:48 AM
    • 6,572 Posts
    • 37,890 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Morning Yippee it's the weekend No more work until Thursday

I'm hoping for a low cost, high fun day not sure what the grander plans are for the day but I hope to:

* Go to the allotment for a few hours
    * bring home today's harvest
    * really need to sort through fridge and give it a clean
    * load of washing & hang up
    * find even more inventive was to use up the courgette glut! Currently have 7 in the fridge and that's without today's additions mustn't complain as I do love them
    * just made a note of the last few day's mileage. Looking at getting £60 back and have put £40 in the tank
    * finally photo 5 things to sell & list over the w/e
    * got to work out picking up an exercise bike oh bought from fleabay for £21 and we have been given a multigym with weights for free (oh's dream that we turn our garage into a gym is becoming a £21 reality ) I've tried looking up the gym based on the picture I have and it would cost somewhere around £200 to buy
    * check meal plan and get something out of freezer
    * check banking
    * purchase car tax - thank you car fund piggy bank
    * checked diary and it's a friend's singing concert tomorrow. Phew so glad I haven't missed it!

Ok that will do. No doubt there will be other small savings throughout the day.

Happy weekend to you all
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 15th Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    • 1,920 Posts
    • 12,890 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Must be something about the East Midlands and vacuums this week foxgloves
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,264Posts Today

7,962Users online

Martin's Twitter