Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 10th Jul 17, 6:15 AM
    • 2,869Posts
    • 38,851Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Monday 10 July 2017
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:15 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 10 July 2017 10th Jul 17 at 6:15 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 10 July 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid stupid early. DS1 now getting ready for work, and DS2 still in his pit.

Cloudy overcast and dull, but it's starting like this most days, then sky clears and we got lovely sunshine, we'll see.

Yesterday meals were a bit staggered, boys had the ready meals I'd left for them at lunchtime and we got back just as they were finishing cooking, so DH and I had egg and bacon on toast. In the evening I cooked the gammon joint, and we had new potatoes, cauli in cheese sauce, mixed veg and gravy with it. Today I'm not sure what we'll be eating as have to go to DH's work and go with him to collect new sofa, old one has gone and last night was spent some of us sitting on camping chairs - but it was only for 1 night and it was a massive help from DH's mate who came and took the old sofa to the dump for us.

I had a productive shopping trip yesterday also, got everything needed, so can bin the stuff with holes. I could have spent a lot longer looking and I went in 2 shops - I wasn't impressed as I had said I'd go on my own so I could look and spend what time I wanted but DH said he'd like to go, so he took me, won't be doing that again in a hurry. I prefer shopping alone or with people who have the same idea as me.

We have had a reasonably productive weekend though, so jobs that needed to be done have been done, and once new sofa is in situ tonight after we've collected it, that's another job done.

Back to work today - if I remember correctly I'm doing a different job again today, one where I'm working alone in my own office, so don't mind that and I find it less pressurized although a lot of my colleagues hate it! The day should pass quite quickly as I'll be busy.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 10-07-2017 at 6:36 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 2
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 17, 11:08 AM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 17,008 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone, thanks to nmlc for starting the thread and hugs to anyone that needs one.
    Congratulations Uncle Speky

It's actually not raining here but far from warm & sunny.
    I started my new meds earlier and they seem to have given me a headache which checking the leaflet is common at first. (Seems ironic that a migraine-preventative gives you a headache ) I'm hoping a couple of mugs of tea kick it into touch and I can maybe get some gardening done later.

I think I've killed my peace lily accidently over-watering it. I'm great with outdoor plants but rubbish with house ones. I hoped letting it drain & dry out might rescue it but no sign of perking up so far, I'll give it a few days and see. I got given a bouquet of flowers 2 weeks ago, they were from Morrisons and although some have gone over most are still fab, I'll tidy the vase up and hopefully I'll get another couple of weeks from them. I was surprised as they were mainly roses which I find don't always last well so they have been really good value
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 10th Jul 17, 11:12 AM
    • 3,666 Posts
    • 22,262 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Oh, yes. Forgot to mention. Willow is her name. I was unsure to begin with but I'm warming to it now.
    Originally posted by SpekySquarehead

Good choice SPEKY! That's my youngest DGD's middle name - she is Kitty Willow. I wasn't sure at first either but can't imagine her called anything else now! x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 19,731 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Many congratulations Uncle Speky, what a lovely name x
    • Judi
    • By Judi 10th Jul 17, 12:06 PM
    • 15,269 Posts
    • 62,589 Thanks
    Judi
    Community health psychiatric team have just left. All positive stuff. My Son has an appointment at his new GP's practise on Friday. I was advised to go with him.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 4,957 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello all
    Congrats to Uncle Specky, Willow is a beautiful name.
    DH and I have been to town this morning, mainly to the bank but called in Mat*lan as they had a sale on. DH bought a pair of zip-off trousers and I bought some light weight joggers, as all mine seem too thick and warm at the moment. We also called in L*dl for bread, milk and salad stuff on the way home.
    Yesterday I picked the blackcurrants in my garden, even managed to get there before the birds ! However as no one likes blackcurrant jam I was wondering if I should make blackcurrant vodka. I thought I could make some and give it as Christmas presents. Anyone made this before ? Was it successful ?
    Nothing important to do this afternoon apart from putting out the recycling so I will just potter around putting things away in their rightful places. Note to self - "must put things away not just put them down"
    Right, another coffee then I will do something .
    Hugs to all
    nan
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 10th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 2,498 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Congratulations Uncle Specky.
    Willow, I think that is such a beautiful name.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Jul 17, 2:25 PM
    • 15,482 Posts
    • 126,233 Thanks
    JackieO
    Speky what a beautiful name for a beautiful little girl I bet you become a doting uncle and will spoil her dreadfully

Re the slow worms, years ago when we live on a tiny island off the Essex coast called Mersea, we had a very small cottage, but a huge garden.Now me being a city girl I asked my OH if he would dig over a patch of it so I could get some vegatables in, I was money saving even back in 1964 there were just the two of us, and we had only been married about two years then ,no children and it really was a gorgeous place. He agreed and set to marking out where I wanted it dug .

I had just taken him out a cuppa and was walking back indoors when he shouted out 'Catch' as I turned what I took to be a snake came whirling through the air and wrapped itself around my neck !!!

I nearly died of shock, and how we never divorced within the next week I'll never know What made it worse he was quite nonchalant about it .'Its only a slow worm' he said ,laughing like a drain I could have battered him senseless daft begger.

We lived in that cottage for around just under two years and believe me until you have lived in a very small cottage where a lot of the wildlife outside seemed to think our house was fair game to move inside

I had a fieldmouse that made his home and built his little home and family in my best handbag at the bottom of our wardrobe and would happily eat bits of it unbeknown to me when things got tough for him .

Plus we had spiders the size of soup plates that would scuttle across the very rustic roof beams. Oak beamed cottages apparently are a favourite home for the leggy little beasts. !!!

But on the good side in the summer time at night when the sun went down you could lie out on a lounger in the garden and see some spectacular sunsets and when the stars came out it looked like the sky was packed out with them We saw so many shooting stars it was amazing No light pollution because we were on the edge of the Essex coast.Unforgettable memories that are as clear to me over 50 years later as they were then .

Just sitting down with a cuppa to watch Andy Murray pure bliss

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 10-07-2017 at 2:31 PM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 10th Jul 17, 4:57 PM
    • 15,482 Posts
    • 126,233 Thanks
    JackieO
    Yay and Murray wins again
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 5,905 Posts
    • 34,905 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon / evening.

It's stayed dry but very breezy all day, so far.

Speky - congratulations on the birth of Willow - though I do hope that it's your brother's girlfriend / partner who actually had the baby!

I've had a day of frustration and annoyance. I'm combing the assessment material with a fine tooth comb to send to the assessor and our boss exactly why I have to fail his students. I'm still convinced that he's sent me the wrong documents (drafts and not final submissions) but, if he won't answer his emails then fail they must. It's so not right.

The ongoing issue of the day is my dramatically slowed down broadband speed. It's normally around 1.5 - 1.9mbps (slow enough), but now it's dropped to 0.46mbps. Done all the online checks, phoned BT who then did the same checks from their end. Then I had to do another check from the test socket. All still showing the same problem even though BT say there's not a fault! Now waiting for them to ring back after doing another check. I've had some great help on the techie board.

Happily a lovely neighbour popped in with his two sprocker spaniels, they do cheer me up with their boundless energy and pizazz. The dad one is less full of bounce and just wants to hold a shoe and be stroked.

I've got a sodding committee meeting this evening - hate them. The odd thing about this one is that it's always held in one woman's house and she never offers a cup of tea to anyone. So unlike the great old Scots custom of offering refreshments to all and sundry, at least on the west coast that is.

I hope everyone's had a good day and will have a relaxing evening.
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 10th Jul 17, 5:47 PM
    • 1,732 Posts
    • 16,126 Thanks
    csarina2
    TA we are going to Ripon for a couple of days after DGD's wedding in October. I want to go to Barnyarns, I am trying to find out if they actually have a shop or if its just a warehouse.

A trip to Whitby for fish and chips will also be on the cards.

Gers......when we lived in Scotland everyone who came to the house was offered a drink, as they are here. If we went anywhere to visit, we always took a gift with us, something I do down here as well
    Last edited by csarina2; 10-07-2017 at 5:53 PM.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 10th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    • 5,905 Posts
    • 34,905 Thanks
    Gers

Gers......when we lived in Scotland everyone who came to the house was offered a drink, as they are here. If we went anywhere to visit, we always took a gift with us, something I do down here as well
    Originally posted by csarina2
    Yes, standard hospitality in Scotland. This one is weird.

I've just learnt that today, in 1913, the temperature in Death Valley, California, was recorded as 57 degrees C - the highest ever. Think I'm happier with my current 15 degrees C. I can always put on a cardi!

Right, off to my refreshment-less meeting.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 10th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 15,269 Posts
    • 62,589 Thanks
    Judi
    Must be a first on the daily thread. 2 birth announcements. My daughter gave birth half an hour ago. Mother and daughter well.

Have a good evening all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,116 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Must be a first on the daily thread. 2 birth announcements. My daughter gave birth half an hour ago. Mother and daughter well.

Have a good evening all.
    Originally posted by Judi
    Congratulations on the birth of your granddaughter. That's wonderful news, and pleased to hear that they are both well x
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 10th Jul 17, 7:09 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 37,779 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    Congratulations to Speky and Judi
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 17, 7:09 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 17,008 Thanks
    caronc

Have a good evening all.
    Originally posted by Judi
    Congratulations
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Jul 17, 7:12 PM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 13,973 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Congratulations judi and Uncle Speky
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • chrissy59
    • By chrissy59 10th Jul 17, 7:19 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    chrissy59
    csarina2 yes barnyarns according to there site do have a shop
    • karcher
    • By karcher 10th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 11,586 Thanks
    karcher
    Congratulatons Judi and Speky

All the best to the parents of the new little ones..
    ..here's hoping they actually get some sleep during the next year or two
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 10th Jul 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 19,731 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Many congratulations Judi x
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Jul 17, 7:59 PM
    • 410 Posts
    • 4,957 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Hello, just wanted to congratulate Judi and her family.
    Gers I feel your frustration with the broadband problems. Ours fluctuated between 2.9mbps and 0.25mbps. It would then drop off for no apparent reason, so had a month of complaining to S*y, who in fairness got Open Reach out 4 times. It seemed that there were 4 different faults detected ( one each time) and it was only the telephone line engineers who finally gave us a new telephone line that cured the drop off and crackly phone line. Did get a free upgrade to fibre optic for 18 months and free line rental for a month for our trouble though . So I believe perseverance is the key, as I think they got fed up with us ringing every week .
    Goodnight all
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

94Posts Today

2,558Users online

Martin's Twitter