Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 9th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2,604Posts
    • 414Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Make google searches ENGLISH?
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    Make google searches ENGLISH? 9th Jul 17 at 9:36 PM
    Lately i've been searching a few things and the top results i'm getting through are American based. It's very frustrating. Everything in dollars, all advice American based so totally unhelpful to me. I don't remember it being like this.

Even when i go Tools & change from Any country to UK it doesn't help.

Page 1
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 9th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 2,580 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:02 PM
    On a PC make sure it's Google.co.uk you are connecting to and not .com.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 10th Jul 17, 4:50 AM
    • 6,172 Posts
    • 5,296 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:50 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:50 AM
    Hi,

if you scroll down to the bottom of a Google search page, you'll find some options there.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 10th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 2,952 Posts
    • 1,209 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:14 AM
    Putting 'UK' in the search parameters usually helps.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 31,940 Posts
    • 37,677 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    is it something like windows language is set to English US or something weird ??
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 10th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    • 9,879 Posts
    • 7,356 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:03 AM
    which browser you using? I'm using yandex and all search results are US-biased even when using google.co.uk....I do what xbigman suggested above and just tag uk on the end of your search
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • googler
    • By googler 10th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 14,471 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    googler
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    Putting 'UK' in the search parameters usually helps.
    Originally posted by Xbigman
    This.

(in 12 characters or more)
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:43 PM
    Using Google.com? not Google.co.uk?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 10th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    No i was using the .co.uk version.
    FireFox is my browser too.

And it's not the spelling (so favorite for example) it's the results are American based. I can't even remember what i searched yesterday tbh but let's say it was benefits. I pick that because i know it related to money. The websites came up with American dollars and things that an American would be entitled to. So if it was for say employment law for example it'd all be about American law & not the rules that apply to us Brits if you get me?

• Strider590
    • By Strider590 10th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,529 Thanks
    Strider590
    Ok, well i'm going to suggest you install and run malwarebytes, it's possible that malware has installed some sort of VPN connection and your internet is connecting via a rogue server, effectively giving you a foreign IP address, also look here to see where your IP address suggests you are:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 16th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Ok, well i'm going to suggest you install and run malwarebytes, it's possible that malware has installed some sort of VPN connection and your internet is connecting via a rogue server, effectively giving you a foreign IP address, also look here to see where your IP address suggests you are:

http://whatismyipaddress.com/
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Well that got me spot on though i ran Malwarebytes and nothing found.

Another i've just noticed today. I'm looking up a kick stand for my new bike. I googled "Trek Kick Stand" and this is what i got https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trek+kick+stand&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=MdRrWZ-3N5Pc8Aev66CICw American results first in dollar$. I guess Trek must be an American company but in the past if there was an English version then it would always be displayed so i guess this isn't the best example of what i've been searching lately but it shows it well enough.

• MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 16th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    Remove the Firefox browser and reinstall it. It might help.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 16th Jul 17, 11:24 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Remove the Firefox browser and reinstall it. It might help.
    Originally posted by MrJones1
    It happens with Chrome also though...

• RumRat
    • By RumRat 16th Jul 17, 11:52 PM
    • 2,580 Posts
    • 1,440 Thanks
    RumRat
    Make sure your PC is set for UK and not US.
    If that doesn't work, just go to Options - Search - add new search engines - Then find Google (UK) and select it, then set it as default.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 16th Jul 17, 11:59 PM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 2,668 Thanks
    Robisere
    In Firefox, top Toolbar:

Tools - Options - General.

"When Firefox Starts" - "Show Your Homepage" should be in the box. Type it in if not.

"Homepage" must be "google.co.uk" Type it in, if not.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 17th Jul 17, 12:12 AM
    • 3,269 Posts
    • 1,483 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Related (a little); I've got a new Android phone and for the life of me I cannot get Maps to speak the route in UK English. (Some goddamn awful American voice)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 17th Jul 17, 8:01 AM
    • 1,296 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Set your Firefox search engine to DuckDuckGo, there is a "slide switch" on the search results to set "UK".

DDG is the search engine of choice for those who would rather not share our searches with world + dog + government + advertising companies.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 17th Jul 17, 8:43 AM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Set your homepage to this, or go here every time you need to Google something:
    http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB

And the results will always default to "Pages from the UK".
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 17th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 7,515 Posts
    • 4,908 Thanks
    Biggles
    If you're in the normal google.co.uk, all you need do is click on 'Tools' and set 'UK' in the 'Country' dropdown. Other useful tools enable you to, for example, restrict results to recent months etc.

But that link is excellent, Neil Jones, I've been looking for a way to do that for ages. It's a pity you can't choose that option when you select your search engine in Chrome.
    Last edited by Biggles; 17-07-2017 at 12:02 PM. Reason: 'in Chrome' added, as you may be able to do it with other browsers.....
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 18th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Can any of you check this for me to see what you get?

I just searched......

cost to replace compressor in car

and what i got was American. First result...

The labor cost alone for an AC compressor can range from $300 to $500, depending on what car you have. We always recommend purchasing a new AC compressor, instead of remanufactured or used. It will save you money in the long run. AC Compressor costs will change from car to car among many other variables.
    from this URL ... https://www.google.co.uk/#q=cost+to+replace+compressor+in+car as you can see it's .co.uk

So if you try that search term what do you get?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,180Posts Today

6,749Users online

Martin's Twitter