Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 9th Jul 17, 9:14 PM
    • 3,769Posts
    • 4,094Thanks
    robatwork
    Which lenders aren't online with mortgages?
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:14 PM
    Which lenders aren't online with mortgages? 9th Jul 17 at 9:14 PM
    I guess it's not a total surprise given their business model, but I was a bit taken aback to learn that first direct don't have any online access to mortgage accounts at all. It's "in the works". It's all via paper and telephone a bit like 1979.

Are they the only anachronistic bank/building society, or is this more commonplace than I realised? I wonder if HSBC are the same and this is simply a policy decision as opposed to a lack of technical development.
Page 1
    • AFK_Matrix
    • By AFK_Matrix 9th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 798 Thanks
    AFK_Matrix
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    Nope both the lenders I have been with have no online facility and it's mighty annoying.

Bank of Ireland and Leeds Building Society haven't realised it's 2017!
    • BeckyAP
    • By BeckyAP 10th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BeckyAP
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    Our mortgage is with Halifax and it shows up on my online banking - current balance/current repayment etc.
    We're yet to make our first payment so I can't tell you if the balance changes every month but it is somewhat terrifying seeing such a large number on the screen when you log in!
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 2,492 Thanks
    chelseablue
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    Our mortgage is with Halifax and it shows up on my online banking - current balance/current repayment etc.
    We're yet to make our first payment so I can't tell you if the balance changes every month but it is somewhat terrifying seeing such a large number on the screen when you log in!
    Originally posted by BeckyAP
    Ours is with Halifax and yes the balance does change every month on their online banking and app.

In our case it creeps down at a snails pace
    Baby Boy born May 2014

Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 £231,294
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,078
    • clairebeth
    • By clairebeth 10th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    clairebeth
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:51 AM
    Really? I didn't realise this, we are currently remortgaging to First Direct and we upload our documents online etc and they have their current accounts online, so I just assumed the mortgage would be too. What a pain. Our first lender, Teacher's Building Society didn't have an online facility, had to phone up for the balance etc, v annoying!
    • dsab
    • By dsab 10th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    dsab
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    Northern Ireland's biggest local Lender, Progressive BS, doesn't have any online facilities either. Can be quite annoying, but putting up with it due to the good rate I got with them.
    • Lucky Duck
    • By Lucky Duck 10th Jul 17, 12:07 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Lucky Duck
    ? I wonder if HSBC are the same and this is simply a policy decision as opposed to a lack of technical development.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    I can see my HSBC mortgage balance, make over payments, check remaining over payment allowance, etc. using online banking.
    • debtisnotme
    • By debtisnotme 10th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    debtisnotme
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    I'm with Principality, I can't make overpayments online but I can view my balance, mortgage details etc
    Debt on 25/5/17
    Mortgage £61,999 £59,335
    Secured loan approximately £20,000 £19,353
    Unsecured debt in DMP with Stepchange £38,887 £37,763
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 10th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    robatwork
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    Really? I didn't realise this, we are currently remortgaging to First Direct and we upload our documents online etc and they have their current accounts online, so I just assumed the mortgage would be too. What a pain. Our first lender, Teacher's Building Society didn't have an online facility, had to phone up for the balance etc, v annoying!
    Originally posted by clairebeth
    The tone of the adviser I spoke to was "we get lots of requests and are getting a bit fed up of them" hopefully meaning they do something about it. Please add your surprised voice to the list once you get it arranged and can't see it online!
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 10th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    robatwork
    I can see my HSBC mortgage balance, make over payments, check remaining over payment allowance, etc. using online banking.
    Originally posted by Lucky Duck
    So it's a policy more than something technical.

I certainly expected better of Britain's "best" bank -

http://www.which.co.uk/money/banking/bank-accounts/guides/best-and-worst-banks

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/best-high-street-bank-britain-9856886

I may have chosen a different mortgage if I knew this up front as the difference in interest rates and flexibility were pretty marginal.
    • jiggy2
    • By jiggy2 11th Jul 17, 9:10 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    jiggy2
    I have an offset mortgage with first direct and you can definitely see that online. Not sure if it is the same with repayment mortgages.
    • westv
    • By westv 11th Jul 17, 11:18 PM
    • 4,248 Posts
    • 1,819 Thanks
    westv
    Northern Ireland's biggest local Lender, Progressive BS, doesn't have any online facilities either. .
    Originally posted by dsab
    So not very progressive then.
    • clairebeth
    • By clairebeth 12th Jul 17, 7:12 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    clairebeth
    Although the other thing that differs with first direct compared to our previous lenders is that once it's set up we'll pay by standing order, rather than direct debit, so we can increase the standing order to overpay, which is handy.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    • 54,318 Posts
    • 47,106 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Northern Ireland's biggest local Lender, Progressive BS, doesn't have any online facilities either. Can be quite annoying, but putting up with it due to the good rate I got with them.
    Originally posted by dsab
    Would you prefer to pay a higher interest rate to cover the cost of building a suitable system.

Relatively easy to keep track of roughly where ones mortgage balance is. Without the need to view it once a month.
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 12th Jul 17, 6:33 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    robatwork
    Would you prefer to pay a higher interest rate to cover the cost of building a suitable system.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    That comment was in respect of Progressive BS, and it's a fair point.

It wouldn't stand up if related to first direct however, who have massive resources and the IT systems of HSBC, who already have the facility.
    • Kittenkirst
    • By Kittenkirst 12th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,431 Posts
    • 7,088 Thanks
    Kittenkirst
    Clydesdale don't let you see it online; I call every month to get the internet applied for the last month and refreshed balance I bet the advisors love me
    Emergency savings- £3195. /£4000
    Mortgage Oct '16- £170.995 LTV- 90% end date Nov 2041
    2016 OPs £255.50/£150
    2017 MFW #20 - OP £1441.10/ £2150. 67%
    Jan- £68.21, Feb- £306.67, March- £272.01 April-£324.05 May £120.33 June £279.15 July: £71.17
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 13th Jul 17, 12:18 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    Glover1862
    Coop don't have any online facility, bonus I suppose that they are still around! Actually very good lender, never had an issue with them.
    • robatwork
    • By robatwork 13th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 4,094 Thanks
    robatwork
    Clydesdale don't let you see it online; I call every month to get the internet applied for the last month and refreshed balance I bet the advisors love me
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst
    It took me 3 readings... then I realised you meant "interest"!
    • glosoli
    • By glosoli 13th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    glosoli
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst
    If you have a current account with Clydesdale, you can then register for internet banking, from which you can then see your mortgage account information. Improvements are coming to the online banking service and mobile applications over the next 1-2 months with increased functionality. If you do open a bank account with them, be sure they do it using the same customer number umbrella as your mortgage account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,691Posts Today

6,939Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin