Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 20,132Posts
    • 228,722Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th July 2017
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th July 2017 9th Jul 17 at 8:55 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.'
    It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room

Level 1

Clear sills and wipe
    Clean Windows
    Wipe tables and chairs - don't forget underneath where sticky fingers linger
    Wipe switches and sockets

Level 2

Empty bin
    Clear sides and wipe down
    Wipe kettle and other small appliances
    Empty toaster and wipe crumb tray
    Check fridge and fruit bowl for anything that needs using or flinging.

Level 3

Wipe down cupboard fronts
    Sweep and mop floor

Extras

MAD half hour - post yours!
    HHI
    Make a me-time appointment for sometime this week - manicure, hair, coffee with a friend...
    Household accounts - are they up-to-date? Budget on track?
    If your weather forecast suits - and you're up to date with your laundry - wash any throws ready for winter.
    Check you meal plan for the week - can you double up on one meal to make a freezer filler ready for a lazy day.

Tuesday Twinkles Bathrooms, Shower Rooms and Cloakrooms

Level 1

Open window
    Empty waste bins
    Wipe shower screen or wash shower curtain
    Clean shower tray
    Clean taps, pipes and shower head
    Wipe tiles down

Level 2
    Dust windowsill
    Clean windows
    Polish any mirrors
    Scrub toilet
    Wipe down outside of toilet

Level 3
    Clean pull cord and door handles
    Scrub basins
    Polish taps
    Polish towel rail
    sweep/mop floor

Extras
    S&S kitchen - keep it tidy
    Wipe down all tiles in here
    Wash towels in a hot wash
    Put out fresh fluffy towels
    MAD half hour - spend ONLY hald an hour on a huge task - throw yourself in it then stop after 30 minutes. You can come back to it another day
    Don't forget yourself - do something for YOU even if it's only a quiet time with a book!

Wonderful Wednesday Living room

Level1

Empty out any rubbish
    Cleat coffee table
    Rehome aything which is out of place
    Wipe coasters
    Deal with any flowers/water & wipe plants
    Clear out fire/woodburner

Level 2

Dust and polish any wooden furniture or just dust
    Check corners for cobwebs/spiders and remove
    Dust skirting boards
    Wipe handles/sockets/switches
    Dust electricals

Level 3

Lift chair/sofa cushions and vacuum under them
    Wipe leather furniture/vacuum sofas
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floor

extras
    clean window in lounge
    MAD half hour - only half an hour - this is a nibble not a mouthful!
    HHI
    Binbag fling - grab a bin bag, run around t he house and fill it with gibble and CHUCK IT OUT
    Sorth out your handbag - dry orange peel is NOT permissible handbag content (just me then? oops)

Thursday Thrills Kids' Rooms/ Spare rooms/guest rooms

Level 1
    Open the windows wide
    Binbag dance
    Strip the bed and turn the mattress - if you can
    Clean under the bed if accessible
    Remake the bed

Level 2
    Dust any shelves and sills and flat surfaces
    If a guest/spare room check the lighting is fully-functional
    Wipe switches/sockets/skirtings

Level 3
    Clean the windows
    vacuum curtains/dust blinds
    Deal with floor - sweep - mop -vacuum - sandblact as appropriate

Extras
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour
    HHI

FABULOUS FRIDAY - GET SET FOR THE WEEKEND

open windows
    SPEND 10 minutes in each room doing this

empty bins
    straighten furniture/plump cushions
    make beds
    remove gibble and put it away
    have a just-damp cloth to remove sticky smears/wipe coasters

THEN
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    HHI

[/B]
    Last edited by Valli; 14-07-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Page 8
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 14th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 4,146 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Evening all.

Lovely to hear that you are getting lots of doggie visitors LW.
    VERY jealous of Ionafan, and fingers crossed that this dog is The One. I'm sure that you will fly the home visit. No pun intended
    You rant, ATB. I've had my wine this evening, so all now is calm .

Very little flying to report. QHI before setting off to work, then a couple of errands run on the way. DH pressed Go on the WM when he got home so that has done and dried. Dinner done ( did I mention wine already??) and kitchen s&s. Errrr that's pretty much it. DD is packing for her trip away, so I have to be up early in the morning to drop her off. Actually I think 5am might just count as the middle of the night on a Saturday morning.

Currently slobbed on the settee and no intention of moving!
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 14th Jul 17, 11:31 PM
    • 2,051 Posts
    • 29,967 Thanks
    dancemum
    Airing cupboard sorted, clothes folded, put away and ironing basket filled

I'm about to collect ds1 from work. Hope it has gone well.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 15th Jul 17, 12:26 AM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 20,765 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Goodness, it's tomorrow already!
    BIL coming for the weekend, so Mr N sensibly wrote us a list of stuff today. Team Narc0 worked well and between us we:
    - thoroughly cleaned spare room ready for BIL
    - ditto bathroom
    - vacuumed bedroom, my study, in fact all upstairs then I did the stairs.
    - Did a bit of wardrobe decluttering so now have a pile of clothes for cs.
    - He mowed lawn while I did a flower arrangement for church. Dropped in to friend on my way to the church as I'd promised her a couple of ornamental grasses I had spare, so that's them decluttered.
    - Rang several solicitors to get quotes for land conveyance which we've grudgingly decided to buy.
    - took fruit cage down, folded/rolled netting and put away for next year.
    - Picked last remaining loganberries and vast amounts of whitecurrants which are now washed, bagged and in freezer.
    - went to supermarket
    Momentum now diminished as I got sidetracked by a couple of programmes on guitar riffs ......time for bed.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • boddy
    • By boddy 15th Jul 17, 7:20 AM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 68,537 Thanks
    boddy
    Morning everyone.

Was at my voluntary job yesterday. Had an invite to the opening of the new oncology unit. Much nicer than where they were before.

When I got home it was washer on with uniform. A quick tidy and watered the garden. Off to town today to meet friends.
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 15th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 18,844 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Morning!

Lots of exciting doggie news...Iona, fingers crossed for your hound inspection. What sort of dog has stolen your heart? I'd have hundreds if I could. And cats, rabbits, donkeys, goats and...

How did DS's day at wok go Dancemum?

I had a bottle of low-alcohol wine last night, which is just as well, as got woken up by Tiny at 1am and the dogs at 5.40am, so I'm like a grumpy tiger this morning.

More painting planned. DH has instructions to take all the kids (skids are here for the w/end) to see Despicable Me 3.

I ache all over. Flying may take a back seat today.
    Womble No: 12 £3400.99 as at 5/4/2017
    Sealed pot challenge 2017 (#501)1/6/2016 = 10.12.2
    • embb
    • By embb 15th Jul 17, 9:06 AM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 62,683 Thanks
    embb
    Morning lovelies

Up at the crack as per, lots of washing today, washing, sorting, folding AND putting away, i have trouble doing the latter so im doing it today cos ive had enough of seeing the piles haha.

Littley stayed at her mates last night so ill borrow a car and go pick her up at some point today, wimbledon final this avo, tea and dailies to do.

Laters xx
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 15th Jul 17, 9:53 AM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 15,920 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all

Lazy start today, DH got up with the kids at 7 and I had a lie in. I'm now laid on the bed with the iPad, kids watching Dora and DH napping

Nice day out planned, so expect limited flying . X
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.11.17 - £119,999.04
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 15th Jul 17, 10:20 AM
    • 1,097 Posts
    • 14,464 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Narc0lepsy can I borrow MrN? Despite being at home for 3 weeks now, and having a perfectly acceptably working finger (for everything other than surgery), it appears to extend to housework as well. Grrrrr

He's off in green for the first time in 2 years so will probably have a lovely time in Leuchers. While I am, sitting here with a long list of housework etc to do.

Work on Monday. 25hrs over 5 days for 4 weeks. I'd love to be able to leave it all for DH to do, but it just won't happen, and mentally I won't be able to cope if it doesn't.

So. HHC anyone?
    *** Debt Free***
    NST October 1/18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/10/17 £2416.17£3,500, 69.03/74.79% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 15th Jul 17, 12:21 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 57,006 Thanks
    Pollybear
    Afternoon all. DH gone to the air show at Fairford today. We've had a little rain but luckily I don't have enough washing for a load, will do tomorrow though. Vacuumed through downstairs. Been out for an errand with DD2.

Rest of the day on my own except for the screaming cat (one of the lovely side effects of old age and deafness )
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Jul 17, 3:20 PM
    • 6,427 Posts
    • 64,874 Thanks
    greent
    OOh, Pollybear - just noticed your location after seeing the mention of Fairford - you're pretty close to me (I'm close to J12) Have been hearing and seeing jets etc all week!

Wiped out today - have had a low grade stomach-type bug and then went really wobbly and fuzzy headed when out shopping with DS3 for new uniform (10% off today) Improved after food, 2 drinks and a long lie down once we got home, but I think I'll take it easy and catch up on more FROG laptop based work this afternoon
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5034/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1221.45/£500 PAYDOX17 £11937/£10k Decluttered 1730/2017 items
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 15th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 57,006 Thanks
    Pollybear
    Hi greent, we're nearer to J14 but not so far away
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 16th Jul 17, 8:16 AM
    • 2,509 Posts
    • 15,920 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning all

An 'at home' day planned today so will be gently flying all day. Need to shove a wash on shortly, DW already on. It's the last week of school so there are a few jobs I want to get done before I have the small people around my ankles constantly for 6 weeks!

First things first though, sausage butties

Have fab days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 17.11.17 - £119,999.04
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 16th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 46,619 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Wow Dizzy, just caught up and your life sounds *slightly challenging* at the moment. I hope things have calmed down a bit and you've recovered from the electric shock.

Well done on the weightloss Dancemum.

I haven't been posting daily as I'd hoped I would this week but I have kept up with Flying (just) as I've been at a festival some days (words not music). Terry Waite was very funny on the subject of much loved grandchildren visiting Ionafan and I thought of you while he was reading that bit from his very personal account. Feel more than a bit humbled by what I've heard this week, tbh.

Will catch up on Flying today, and post when I think I've achieved something.
    Keeping it AF
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 16th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 57,006 Thanks
    Pollybear
    Morning all. I've done my Monday jobs today because we're going to Slimbridge tomorrow with DDs 1 & 2 and DGDs 2 & 4.

So, I've dusted, polished and vacuumed all through downstairs and up the stairs and washed the kitchen floor.

Washing out on the line, not raining yet! And it's drying quickly so hopefully all will be well

Cat had me up 7 times last night, after not even trying to go to sleep until 11.30 because the neighbours were still out in their garden.....

No wonder I always feel like a zombie.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 16th Jul 17, 1:36 PM
    • 36,107 Posts
    • 465,403 Thanks
    pigpen
    Phonecall yesterday lunchtime... muuuummm.... I have to be out of my [student digs] by 12 tomorrow.. ffs ... another weekend of no flinging. I have learned I can empty a student kitchen, communal living area and bathroom in 3 hours... why can I not do mine in that time? AND she got snotty when I said I want board off her.. she has been buying food and paying £70 a week rent and begrudges giving me £30 to cover her gas/electric.. I think I'm being soft on her!

laundry needs a rejig, I need to return 4 pairs of footwear to schuh and do a tesco run..

Polly.. my Pollycat had me up twice last night and Twinkle was up 3 times.. this is normal in the sty.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • mummyyof5
    • By mummyyof5 16th Jul 17, 3:22 PM
    • 1,839 Posts
    • 39,830 Thanks
    mummyyof5
    Sorry for disappearing again
    Had an MRI scan Thursday..managed just over an hour before I lost it...was a full brain and spine scan..so not sure if I will need to go back or not..OH was not happy with me.
    Friday was a washout getting over Thursday and yesterday we went to Sundown for BabyDs birthday treat.

So far today I have washed dogs bedding and collars,,,and bathed the smelly furbabies...To whoever is allergic to dogs...I have 2 schnauzers...they dont shed and one of mine is pure white and I have a black settee.I am very allergic to dogs but this breed is perfect x

3 loads of darks on line..one bedding and a load of whites in now,Bathroom scrubbed...very necessary after dog bathing.
    hoovered all through even under settees.

Need to see if I can order a new knitting pattern,,,of all things my cat has chewed the one I am using and Im three quarters through it.

Apart from usual tea making baths and packed lunches ..Think I have earned a restful afternoon..OH has gone out for a meal with his brother..so easy tea...boys want bacon beans and toast..Ill have a freezer rummage later x
    Last edited by mummyyof5; 16-07-2017 at 6:49 PM.
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 16th Jul 17, 5:59 PM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 46,619 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I've done my Listy and it's got 30 tasks on it. In the olden days I'd have thought I should get all of them done in one day but I now realise this is at least a week's worth of work. Three things crossed off so far, progress on two others. Currently working on some minutes. Very boring.
    Keeping it AF
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 16th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 20,765 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy can I borrow MrN? Despite being at home for 3 weeks now, and having a perfectly acceptably working finger (for everything other than surgery), it appears to extend to housework as well. Grrrrr
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    I know I'm very lucky; he is far more tidy and domesticated than I am, seems to clear up automatically whereas I need to think about it and make a list otherwise it would pile up around me without noticing. Well maybe I'm not quite that bad!
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 16th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 34,501 Thanks
    Natty68

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    • Valli
    • By Valli 16th Jul 17, 7:56 PM
    • 20,132 Posts
    • 228,722 Thanks
    Valli
    irate e mail from boss re missing data on reports. Which he's had for two weeks. Turns out I have TWO folders on my desktop and had given him the earlier, 'unfinished' folder ... aargh. I didn't think it wa spossible to have two folders of the same name!

Then, just to REALLY sweeten the day got a flat tyre. The same wheel when I had a puncture in in January. So a six month old tyre - and my 7th tyre since November! Anywauy, being (a) of sound mind and body and (b) a bit handy with a tool or two I changed it myself. *glow*
    Last edited by Valli; 16-07-2017 at 8:18 PM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,113Posts Today

8,304Users online

Martin's Twitter