Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 20,040Posts
    • 227,675Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th July 2017
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th July 2017 9th Jul 17 at 8:55 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.'
    It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room

Level 1

Clear sills and wipe
    Clean Windows
    Wipe tables and chairs - don't forget underneath where sticky fingers linger
    Wipe switches and sockets

Level 2

Empty bin
    Clear sides and wipe down
    Wipe kettle and other small appliances
    Empty toaster and wipe crumb tray
    Check fridge and fruit bowl for anything that needs using or flinging.

Level 3

Wipe down cupboard fronts
    Sweep and mop floor

Extras

MAD half hour - post yours!
    HHI
    Make a me-time appointment for sometime this week - manicure, hair, coffee with a friend...
    Household accounts - are they up-to-date? Budget on track?
    If your weather forecast suits - and you're up to date with your laundry - wash any throws ready for winter.
    Check you meal plan for the week - can you double up on one meal to make a freezer filler ready for a lazy day.

Tuesday Twinkles Bathrooms, Shower Rooms and Cloakrooms

Level 1

Open window
    Empty waste bins
    Wipe shower screen or wash shower curtain
    Clean shower tray
    Clean taps, pipes and shower head
    Wipe tiles down

Level 2
    Dust windowsill
    Clean windows
    Polish any mirrors
    Scrub toilet
    Wipe down outside of toilet

Level 3
    Clean pull cord and door handles
    Scrub basins
    Polish taps
    Polish towel rail
    sweep/mop floor

Extras
    S&S kitchen - keep it tidy
    Wipe down all tiles in here
    Wash towels in a hot wash
    Put out fresh fluffy towels
    MAD half hour - spend ONLY hald an hour on a huge task - throw yourself in it then stop after 30 minutes. You can come back to it another day
    Don't forget yourself - do something for YOU even if it's only a quiet time with a book!

Wonderful Wednesday Living room

Level1

Empty out any rubbish
    Cleat coffee table
    Rehome aything which is out of place
    Wipe coasters
    Deal with any flowers/water & wipe plants
    Clear out fire/woodburner

Level 2

Dust and polish any wooden furniture or just dust
    Check corners for cobwebs/spiders and remove
    Dust skirting boards
    Wipe handles/sockets/switches
    Dust electricals

Level 3

Lift chair/sofa cushions and vacuum under them
    Wipe leather furniture/vacuum sofas
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floor

extras
    clean window in lounge
    MAD half hour - only half an hour - this is a nibble not a mouthful!
    HHI
    Binbag fling - grab a bin bag, run around t he house and fill it with gibble and CHUCK IT OUT
    Sorth out your handbag - dry orange peel is NOT permissible handbag content (just me then? oops)

Thursday Thrills Kids' Rooms/ Spare rooms/guest rooms

Level 1
    Open the windows wide
    Binbag dance
    Strip the bed and turn the mattress - if you can
    Clean under the bed if accessible
    Remake the bed

Level 2
    Dust any shelves and sills and flat surfaces
    If a guest/spare room check the lighting is fully-functional
    Wipe switches/sockets/skirtings

Level 3
    Clean the windows
    vacuum curtains/dust blinds
    Deal with floor - sweep - mop -vacuum - sandblact as appropriate

Extras
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour
    HHI

FABULOUS FRIDAY - GET SET FOR THE WEEKEND

open windows
    SPEND 10 minutes in each room doing this

empty bins
    straighten furniture/plump cushions
    make beds
    remove gibble and put it away
    have a just-damp cloth to remove sticky smears/wipe coasters

THEN
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    HHI

[/B]
    Last edited by Valli; 14-07-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Page 7
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 13th Jul 17, 10:52 PM
    • 4,871 Posts
    • 51,167 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all and congrats to littley

Dailies done
    Bathroom thoroughly cleaned including the floor again
    Towels changed including kitchen ones
    Local survey filled and posted
    Kitchen WUDUPA and all wiped down

Watched the tennis today - commiserations for Jo Konta and congrats for Heather Watson and James Murray in their doubles games

MAD x 2 today. When I had the new kitchen fitted, I had a double wall cupboard cut in half depth-wise IYSWIM. Then put in three shelves of varying heights and use it to store my herbs, spices, sauces and pickles etc. This means I have most of them in alphabetical order but they are only one layer deep and easy to find and use. Probably a bit OCD but it works for me

So today it was emptied, cleaned, dates checked and almost all replaced. Need to restock a couple of things, but not urgent.

Hugs, gws vibes, sticks and spoons if you need some
    Hope you all have a fantastic Friday
    Lx
    Last edited by lynnejk; 13-07-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1795....SEPT=189.80/150
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1337....SEPT=102.84/200
    Bulk buy.......SEPT=13.48
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....SEPT=12/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=764.96
    OS WL= -5/8 ......CC =840......Savings = £9250
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 13th Jul 17, 11:51 PM
    • 35,944 Posts
    • 463,376 Thanks
    pigpen
    Panic cleaning the front room at almost midnight because it is Pixie's home visit tomorrow.. and I am pretending I have forgotten she is supposed to be home for it.. .. if they wanted to see her they should come in the afternoon when she is actually at home.. they don't coordinate times with parents so it is tough if they think we should coordinate ourselves around them. .. she already knows the staff anyway, and she has an afternoon there next week so she will get to meet them, not that I think it is important either.. generations of children survived not meeting teachers or school visits or any of this namby-pamby weaning them into school life.. we were no doubt all just thrown in the deep end with all our class mates!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 14th Jul 17, 12:01 AM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 29,694 Thanks
    dancemum
    Ds1 collected from girlfriend's
    Pots washed and kitchen put to bed
    Good news ds1 got the job 😀

Short post as on phone. Night all x
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 14th Jul 17, 12:48 AM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 32,939 Thanks
    ionafan
    Well done to embb's littley and dancemum's DS1

I am surviving DGS3+4's long stay and so are they. A bit of whingeing on their part tonight but they were very tired after a long day out.

The house is remarkably tidy and the washing is up to date.

Hope to have news of a dog soon

(((Hugs))) spoons and sticks all round x
    • Valli
    • By Valli 14th Jul 17, 1:46 AM
    • 20,040 Posts
    • 227,675 Thanks
    Valli
    Well done emmb's girl and Dancemum's boy.

Piggers, I'm on your side...5 schools I went to. No transition at all. I was the only pupil from my school ( in one authority area) to transfer to my secondary, in a different authority. I have been telling kids they don't know how lucky they are, having all this time getting to know their new school/teacher all week. Brings to mind Monty Python's 4 Yorkshiremen.
    £5342.65
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 14th Jul 17, 5:42 AM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 29,694 Thanks
    dancemum
    Morning Folks

Very little sleep here. Lots to think about. DS1 and gf are looking at south coast universities for his postgrad and her degree.
    It will make things more difficult to see him.

LR tidied

Good luck with home visit Piggers. x

Iona Glad you and your little ones are enjoying their stay. Hope you have news about a dog soon x

I have always wanted one but I'm allergic to most. x

Valli Not long to go now. We have 9 days left. :eek
    • embb
    • By embb 14th Jul 17, 7:15 AM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 62,683 Thanks
    embb
    Morning lovelies

Didnt get much sleep so got matchsticks in today i look gorge got work this morning then dd1 and gd2 are coming and were nipping to aldi. I seriously need to hoover through downstairs cos husky dogs still moulting meh, usual dailies and what not will be done.

I agree piggers, it annoys me all this fussing about with home visits etc i was just bunged into infants age 5 and expected to just get on with it haha

Right, brew number 2 time fore i go for the bus, have great days all, well done to your ds dancemum xx

Laters x
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 14th Jul 17, 7:22 AM
    • 279 Posts
    • 3,277 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning all,
    Just popping in to say well done to embb's littley and dancemum's DS1.

Good luck with the home visit, Pigpen. Can't say that we had them or school visits in my day.

DD's last day of term today as she is off on a school trip next week. Not sure where that school year went.
    Busy day at work today, so minimal flying until later.
    Have a lovely day all.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 14th Jul 17, 7:22 AM
    • 4,021 Posts
    • 47,277 Thanks
    Jazee
    Morning all. Hope you're all ok and well done to those getting jobs etc.

This week has been mainly dailies, ironing and just cleaning the HSL for me.

I'm now off the paid stuff for a week so will be a lady of leisure doing things I like such as gardening.

Have a great day all.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) September £369.15 Total £8369.15/£12000

• atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 14th Jul 17, 8:01 AM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,564 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning All,

Congrats embb and Dancemum and dancemum I hope you get chance for a snooze later to catch up on sleep xx

Five hours paid stuff today so need to be organised. As well as squeezing that into school /pre-school hours I also need to :

- Take DS for his 3.5 boosters - NOT looking forward to this
    - Aldi trip for wine
    - Pay some business bills online (didn't get round to that yesterday - sorted DH new mobile contract out instead)
    - Send a frog email

DW unloaded, WM on and we are all fed and dressed. Will slurp another brew (help yourself ladies ) then put my make up on and off we go.

Pork belly for tea and wine
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 10.9.17 - £122,780
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 14th Jul 17, 8:15 AM
    • 4,509 Posts
    • 45,537 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    *Healing vibes* for your cold, Narco and *banish vibes* for your migraine Mummyof5. Huge congratulations for flykids getting jobs, particularly Embb and Dancemum for sharing the good news.

Best laid plans and all that, but I have managed to get five loads through the WM and out on to the lines over the past three days but I'm still struggling to catch up with everything else. I will admit to wearing a top that was still soggy yesterday. A day at home today, so I might catch up a bit.

Whoever it was who said they'd like a dog but is allergic to most, apparently poodles are well tolerated by some people. Fingers cross that your adoption goes smoothly, Ionafan.

I know everyone's said they were fine on their first day at school, but I wasn't. I was absolutely terrified and I can still remember the feeling nearly 50 years later. .I got over it because I had to go to a new school every two or three terms but that first first day, so to speak, was horrible.
    Keeping it AF
    • Valli
    • By Valli 14th Jul 17, 8:52 AM
    • 20,040 Posts
    • 227,675 Thanks
    Valli
    List up

sorry its late

end-of-term-approaching madness + summer fair (I am PTA treasurer!) + allotment minding = NO TIME
    £5342.65
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 14th Jul 17, 8:55 AM
    • 2,037 Posts
    • 18,426 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Morning ladies - congratulations to littley for new job

Today has started in a fashion I hope does not continue.

Woken up at 6.00am with a phone call from the kitchen delivery team, saying they'd be there within the hour! OMG.

Remembered power being cut for most of the day so the farm next door can have new agricultural buildings connected, so frantically showered and boiled kettle for tea.

Both Small Beans woke up early requesting hot milk...guess what? Yup - no milk.

Kitchen team arrive and unload units into the dining room. Super-tall chap bangs his head on the low beams at least six times. Beefy chap has tea (black obvs).

Go back to the caravan and am knocked over by two dogs hellbent on chasing a rabbit that has somehow gotten into the chicken area. It must be a tough bunny as I got zapped by the electric fence and now have bruised and cut knees, a twisted ankle, aching left shoulder and as dead arm from the electric shock.

Small goes to Breakfast Club, but not before he shuts his hand in the sliding van door. Cue crinkled fingers and big tears.

I drop my phone and chip the case but am relieved the screen was saved.

Life tires me out.
    Womble No: 12 £3400.99 as at 5/4/2017
    Sealed pot challenge 2017 (#501)1/6/2016 = 10.12.2
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 14th Jul 17, 9:02 AM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 56,995 Thanks
    Pollybear
    Morning all. Oh Dizzy I hope your day improves. I agree about the school home visits, I'd never heard of them until recently. I started school full time at 4 years and 1 month and I can't remember being traumatised. Though one boy did go home at breaktime (by himself) because he'd had enough! Secondary school on the other hand, that did traumatise me!

Washing on the line, the sun is trying to come out. I don't know what else I'm doing today, I've cleaned all through during the week.

Hope everyone has a good day
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 14th Jul 17, 9:36 AM
    • 6,785 Posts
    • 86,608 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Morning,

Slow start here, still trying to organise my day and indeed weekend. On limited sleep.

Will write a list I think, and give my head a shake

Well done flykids on all the jobs! High five!
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 14th Jul 17, 2:26 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 29,694 Thanks
    dancemum
    Thanks for your congrats for ds1. It will be good news for my purse hopefully.

Ground floor vaccummed
    2xwm done and put on airer as we have had showers today. I wasted my time straightening my hair.
    Decluttered 2.5lbs at fat club and got a shiny for the being best this week.
    Am officially overweight and no longer obese yay.
    I need to finish my grocery order so will pop the kettle on and get started.
    I have to drop ds1 at job no1 about 7am and collect him at midnight. (He actually got 2 jobs yesterday, 1 is only 1 or 2 shifts though)
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 14th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 56,995 Thanks
    Pollybear
    Well not much flyladying done, but my washing has all dried and has now been folded and put away. I ended up going shopping with DD2 and then went to watch DGD4 - 6months old - at her swimming lesson. She enjoys it so much
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 14th Jul 17, 3:55 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,564 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Afternoon All

Paid stuff done, top up shop done, DS booster injections done (he was super brave, so proud of him ) now home with a cuppa. Need to shove the hoover round, put a load of clean washing away and have a shower. DD at a friend's for tea which makes life much easier for the next hour or so.

Just phoned DH to see when he will be home, he was so grumpy, honestly all he has to is go to work, I work and do everything else! Rant over. Looking forward to a glass of wine later
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 10.9.17 - £122,780
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 9,664 Posts
    • 104,311 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Somewhat manic couple of days - so much that I'm not sure what occurred on which day!

Anyways..... GP (different one that Mr LW hasn't seen before) has prescribed prednisolone to be taken for 5 days - eight tablets each morning!! Then after a two-week wait, Mr LW has to go and have a lung function test. GP agreed with my tentative guess that Mr LW's double pneumonia when he was 9 years old may be a contributing factor, as it can leave scarring on the lungs.

Cassie Dog went home - I have Dys0ned up 3 x cylinders full of Cassie-hair.

Blackcurrants picked at the PYO and turned into 11 pots of jam - two of which are 1-kilo Kilner jars!

Jam stocks inventoried and re-stacked to get blackcurrant jam as above into the storage crate.

An entire pharmacy's worth of prescribed stuff collected from S/Drug - apart from the Pred, there were 3 more items for Mr LW and 7 items for me.

Loose button sewn back onto Mr LW's Second-Best Dog-Walking Jacket. (IE the very scruffy one).

Usual dailies and S&S jobs also done of course - can't have us living in a tip!!

Sasha Dog due to arrive 09:30 tomorrow morning; so it will be yellow dog hair in the Dys0n next instead of black.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 14th Jul 17, 8:03 PM
    • 2,190 Posts
    • 32,939 Thanks
    ionafan
    Sasha Dog due to arrive 09:30 tomorrow morning; so it will be yellow dog hair in the Dys0n next instead of black.
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    Your Dy50n will look as if it's got a tiger in its tank, LW

Have done dailies, prepared and cooked meals, baked cakes with "help" from DGS3+4 - amazed they have come out so well - and visited a very nice and not at all expensive farm park today. DGS4 held a duckling, stroked a rabbit, and bottle fed a piglet. DGS3 enjoyed "driving" the old tractor and seeing the meerkats (much quieter than the other animals). Yes, meerkats on a farm!!!

Tomorrow:
    - finish cakes
    - make special "Happy10th Anniversary" cards with DGS3+4 for their mummy and daddy
    - deliver the boys back to their parents with a sigh of relief
    - go out with all the family for a meal
    - come home and sleep.

On Sunday we are going to visit our dog again. Keeping my fingers crossed that we pass the home visit next week.

See you all on the new thread, if not before. Hope everyone has a good relaxing weekend x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

587Posts Today

5,910Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Surprised to be in this, but v plsd it recognises the fight against the govt's awful retrospective student finance? https://t.co/7BGHeUQ0R4

• RT @theJeremyVine: Heart melted. I?m never going to complain about anything again. Thanku @henryfraser0 for pointing this out. https://t?

• Today's twitter poll: Its Lib Dem conference week & its said "exit from Brexit". If ur open minded to Lib Dems, does this help or hinder?

• Follow Martin