Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 19,896Posts
    • 226,245Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th July 2017
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th July 2017 9th Jul 17 at 8:55 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.'
    It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room

Level 1

Clear sills and wipe
    Clean Windows
    Wipe tables and chairs - don't forget underneath where sticky fingers linger
    Wipe switches and sockets

Level 2

Empty bin
    Clear sides and wipe down
    Wipe kettle and other small appliances
    Empty toaster and wipe crumb tray
    Check fridge and fruit bowl for anything that needs using or flinging.

Level 3

Wipe down cupboard fronts
    Sweep and mop floor

Extras

MAD half hour - post yours!
    HHI
    Make a me-time appointment for sometime this week - manicure, hair, coffee with a friend...
    Household accounts - are they up-to-date? Budget on track?
    If your weather forecast suits - and you're up to date with your laundry - wash any throws ready for winter.
    Check you meal plan for the week - can you double up on one meal to make a freezer filler ready for a lazy day.

Tuesday Twinkles Bathrooms, Shower Rooms and Cloakrooms

Level 1

Open window
    Empty waste bins
    Wipe shower screen or wash shower curtain
    Clean shower tray
    Clean taps, pipes and shower head
    Wipe tiles down

Level 2
    Dust windowsill
    Clean windows
    Polish any mirrors
    Scrub toilet
    Wipe down outside of toilet

Level 3
    Clean pull cord and door handles
    Scrub basins
    Polish taps
    Polish towel rail
    sweep/mop floor

Extras
    S&S kitchen - keep it tidy
    Wipe down all tiles in here
    Wash towels in a hot wash
    Put out fresh fluffy towels
    MAD half hour - spend ONLY hald an hour on a huge task - throw yourself in it then stop after 30 minutes. You can come back to it another day
    Don't forget yourself - do something for YOU even if it's only a quiet time with a book!

Wonderful Wednesday Living room

Level1

Empty out any rubbish
    Cleat coffee table
    Rehome aything which is out of place
    Wipe coasters
    Deal with any flowers/water & wipe plants
    Clear out fire/woodburner

Level 2

Dust and polish any wooden furniture or just dust
    Check corners for cobwebs/spiders and remove
    Dust skirting boards
    Wipe handles/sockets/switches
    Dust electricals

Level 3

Lift chair/sofa cushions and vacuum under them
    Wipe leather furniture/vacuum sofas
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floor

extras
    clean window in lounge
    MAD half hour - only half an hour - this is a nibble not a mouthful!
    HHI
    Binbag fling - grab a bin bag, run around t he house and fill it with gibble and CHUCK IT OUT
    Sorth out your handbag - dry orange peel is NOT permissible handbag content (just me then? oops)

Thursday Thrills Kids' Rooms/ Spare rooms/guest rooms

Level 1
    Open the windows wide
    Binbag dance
    Strip the bed and turn the mattress - if you can
    Clean under the bed if accessible
    Remake the bed

Level 2
    Dust any shelves and sills and flat surfaces
    If a guest/spare room check the lighting is fully-functional
    Wipe switches/sockets/skirtings

Level 3
    Clean the windows
    vacuum curtains/dust blinds
    Deal with floor - sweep - mop -vacuum - sandblact as appropriate

Extras
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour
    HHI

FABULOUS FRIDAY - GET SET FOR THE WEEKEND

open windows
    SPEND 10 minutes in each room doing this

empty bins
    straighten furniture/plump cushions
    make beds
    remove gibble and put it away
    have a just-damp cloth to remove sticky smears/wipe coasters

THEN
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    HHI

[/B]
    Last edited by Valli; 14-07-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debt to attack £6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017
Page 5
    • hex2
    • By hex2 11th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 79,505 Thanks
    hex2
    Thanks - amazing just what you can get done if you whizz round
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 11th Jul 17, 5:39 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 2,556 Thanks
    Fayolle
    MAD HH paperwork over ran a little bit but not too bad. A couple more bits to sort another day before I see the end of the pile. And the new one begins. Did a bit of sewing that has been hanging around for a while. Another tick and off it comes from the loooong list. Ooooh sorted out my sock and knicker drawers - days off don't get anymore exciting than that

Cooking pasta for salad for tomorrow's lunch boxes, then will get to cooking dinner.
    • boddy
    • By boddy 11th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 68,534 Thanks
    boddy
    Evening everyone.

Been to my volunteer job at the hospital today. Came away a bit earlier. I've had sciatica for a while and it was bad today. Not got physio till August.

Washed living room floor and bathroom floor this morning.
    Some of bathroom list done.
    Recycling put out.
    Dusted.
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 11th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 56,816 Thanks
    Pollybear
    I got the bedrooms done this afternoon, bed stripped and remade, dusting, polishing, vacuuming done. Bedding all ready to be washed tomorrow. It's pouring with rain here but due to be dry tomorrow. The rain is lovely for the garden but I bet the grass will be going crazy by the end of the week!
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 11th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 85,404 Thanks
    bossymoo
    I've put the heating on it's chilly and damp...

Kids fed, ready for bed, kitchen sorted after dinner, had a crazy whizz round earlier resulting in a gibbled dining room but everywhere else tidy.

Met MIL, had a lovely natter and brunch, and no telling off walk didn't happen due to rain but never mind.

Bags sorted for morning, lunches too, wm on and furries fed.

Cuppa and feet up now!
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Sealed Pot Challenge 10 - #91
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 11th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,413 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Evening flyfriends x

Paid stuff done and what a shift it was
    Since I've came in I have 2x WM, TD and folded, had a tidy up of the livingroom and stuck the dinner on. I fear my oven is on its way out it's the last thing I need to be honest.
    Livingroom is in need of a hoover but I'll boss someone else to do it and while I'm at it boss someone into taking the set of pots I won down to the caravan

Oh and I have toothache and I can't work out which tooth is causing it.

Right off to feed my face and watch a bit of telly
    Laters
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    • Duckydo
    • By Duckydo 11th Jul 17, 10:48 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,013 Thanks
    Duckydo
    Evening all,

sorry I've missed posting yesterday, had a dodgy stomach for the last few days and am only just beginning to recover. Limited flying has been done here, though have had the wm on x2 and done some ironing.

Made it out to DD last and final signing class as the teacher is leaving, an emotional farewell said. As there was no sense in driving back over the hills after the class to come back again we stopped for lunch at a friends and so that DD could have a sleep before going to a free trial session at a ballet class. Just got summer to have a think about what we'd/she'd like to do next.

Lovely to see so many posters on here. Hugs, sticks and spoons to those who need them.
    • atypicalblonde
    • By atypicalblonde 12th Jul 17, 8:02 AM
    • 2,240 Posts
    • 13,383 Thanks
    atypicalblonde
    Morning All

It's my busy day today, so super organised this morning. Spag bol in slow cooker for dinner, beds made, DW unloaded and reloaded, kiddies ready for school.

Five hours paid stuff them swimming lessons straight after school. I won't have time to come home so swimming bags packed and snacks prepared.

Flying will have to happen when I get home around 5pm. DH has two MAD half hours to do tonight as it didn't happen last night

Have fab days all xx
    MFW
    Mortgage 8.2.15 - £171,064.64 Mortgage 5.6.17 - £123,900
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
    • embb
    • By embb 12th Jul 17, 8:07 AM
    • 3,112 Posts
    • 62,670 Thanks
    embb
    Morning lovelies

Its bright and sunny today so ive got the washer on lol will hang out before I go to work, long work day today so not expecting to get much else done tbh but ill try. Dailies will get done, obvs

Littley got her interview today and shes very nervous bless her, ive given her a few pointers and above all told her....whats meant for you wont pass you by....I truly believe that but she thinks im a bit cuckoo haha anyhoo could be all change in this house soon, its been a very very tough couple of years and we just need to catch a break so fingrrs crossed for her, theres other apprenticeships in the fire so not all will be lost but she really fancies this one.

Right, im gonna stop prattling, need to do my before work routine and try and read back a few pages cos i havent caught up yet.

Laters xx
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 12th Jul 17, 8:19 AM
    • 3,027 Posts
    • 56,816 Thanks
    Pollybear
    Morning all.

Two loads of washing hung out - it's dull and breezy but not supposed to rain so I'm cautiously optimistic

Bathroom and toilet cleaned today. Plumber coming this afternoon to replace the "innards" of the cold tap on the sink which is getting stiff. My hands don't do stiff any more.

Shopping due in the next hour or so. Think that's all so far!
    • katiecat
    • By katiecat 12th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 3,517 Thanks
    katiecat
    Morning

Had awful headache yesterday so sorry didn't post.

However I feel better this morning so hope to do some flying.

Have read through, hugs and good luck vibes where needed.
    WM has just finished - first lot already on line.
    Hope everybody has a good day
    Hugs
    katiecat x
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 12th Jul 17, 8:58 AM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 13,800 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    Embb Fingers crossed for Littley.

Upstairs on the list today. Guest on Thursday night.

Been for a glorious run this morning (the weather that is) Mist still on the Campsie Fells. Sun for a change. The actual run was painful.

Going to put a wash on in the hope the weather lasts.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST June NSD = 7/15
    Goals - Weight loss 2.5/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/7/17 £1514.53/£3,000, 50.48/49.59% of the year.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 12th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 4,376 Posts
    • 44,267 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    I fear my oven is on its way out it's the last thing I need to be honest.

Oh and I have toothache and I can't work out which tooth is causing it.
    Originally posted by funfairprincess
    Any chance the oven just needs a new element? And as for the toothache, it might be referred pain, so only the dentist would be able to tell you which tooth is causing the problem - that happened to me once and was most odd. Either way, I hope it sorts itself out quickly or easily if you have to involve the dentist.

Seagulls, dog and cat attended to; that now takes an hour in the mornings. Rediculous.

Things look vaguely tidy but I still haven't had time to deal with the two letting rooms and shower room after the weekend visitors left on Sunday and I need to spend a MAD on filing again. The stack is now 5" high. Back later to report how it's gone after Kelpie's hydrotherapy appointment, when I can get stuck in.

Onwards and upwards.
    Keeping it AF
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 12th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 2,556 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning everyone.
    Just back from school drop off, Mr T and Scr£wfix. Went to Mr T as I had yet another voucher , and was very good in sticking to the list. Apart from the cinnamon bun which seems to have dropped into the trolley . Going down well with a cup of coffee right now.
    Embb, fingers crossed for Littley.
    LW, posi vibes for Mr LW.
    FFP - my oven blew the electrics a few months ago, and I really didn't want to get another one right at that point. We got a new element from a well known online spares store, fitted it thanks to YouTube and fingers crossed it has been fine since.

I'm off to look at the list now, WM on, not sure that I'll risk hanging it out though. Catch you all later.
    • Biscuit monster
    • By Biscuit monster 12th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 715 Posts
    • 9,512 Thanks
    Biscuit monster
    Morning all,

Everyone seems busy busy! Long walk with dog done, I'm now trapped downstairs (ours is an upside down house) as the builders are plastering the high ceiling in the kitchen and there is scaffolding up over the stairs! So I'm going to use the time to iron and do some stuff from the bedroom/ bathroom lists. But my tummy is rumbling...

LW hope it went ok at the docs for Mr LW.
    FFP toothache is horrible, hope you get it sorted x
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 12th Jul 17, 1:06 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 85,404 Thanks
    bossymoo
    I appear to have lost a morning!

Must get on with dusting.... Soon.

Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

• hex2
    • By hex2 12th Jul 17, 1:10 PM
    • 4,670 Posts
    • 79,505 Thanks
    hex2
    Me too bossymoo, not at the paid thing today and i had a few things to do so went out this morning. Now behind on the tedious at home paid thing, and have a pile of frogs that must be done before we go away.

I ordered some euros so one thing off the list at least. I've done half an hour of the paid thing, so will now do half an hour cleaning and then half an hour on frogs.

Anyone for a 13.15 HHC?
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 12th Jul 17, 2:26 PM
    • 35,835 Posts
    • 461,928 Thanks
    pigpen
    School run ran
    Assembly duly attended
    Bills paid
    DW on second run
    WM on
    Pixie collected
    lunch made and snaffled
    parcels opened, tried on and prepped for return.. buying new shoes for me is a total pain in the derriere

Parents evening at 3pm and DD3's meeting at 6.. and it is OH's birthday but his pressies are being delivered tomorrow apparently
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2017 £56823.12 (5.15% int.)
    • Biscuit monster
    • By Biscuit monster 12th Jul 17, 3:56 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 9,512 Thanks
    Biscuit monster
    Progress...

Bathroom sparkly, mad half hour in garden. Garden of doom ....

If it's gone it's done:

Marvellous Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room

Level 2
    Wipe kettle and other small appliances
    Empty toaster and wipe crumb tray
    Check fridge and fruit bowl for anything that needs using or flinging.

Level 3

Wipe down cupboard fronts
    If your weather forecast suits - and you're up to date with your laundry - wash any throws ready for winter.

Tuesday Twinkles Bathrooms, Shower Rooms and Cloakrooms

Extras
    S&S kitchen - keep it tidy
    Wipe down all tiles in here
    MAD half hour

Wonderful Wednesday Living room

Level1

Empty out any rubbish
    Rehome aything which is out of place
    Deal with any flowers/water & wipe plants
    Clear out fire/woodburner

Level 2

Dust and polish any wooden furniture or just dust
    Check corners for cobwebs/spiders and remove
    Wipe handles/sockets/switches
    Dust electricals

Level 3

Lift chair/sofa cushions and vacuum under them
    Wipe leather furniture/vacuum sofas
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floor

extras
    clean window in lounge
    MAD half hour - only half an hour - this is a nibble not a mouthful!
    HHI
    Binbag fling - grab a bin bag, run around t he house and fill it with gibble and CHUCK IT OUT
    Sorth out your handbag - dry orange peel is NOT permissible handbag content (just me then? oops
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 12th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 85,404 Thanks
    bossymoo
    LR eventually got dusted, vacced and de- gibbled.

DD is being a pest. Lol.

DR is a tip.

Disappointed with corner shelf unit. It is actually carp, barely held together. Will need returning... Meh
    Bossymoo
    Teetering on the edge...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

885Posts Today

7,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin