Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 9th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    • 20,085Posts
    • 228,186Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th July 2017
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:55 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 10th July 2017 9th Jul 17 at 8:55 PM

What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Right now the thread is looking very quiet...but please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.'
    It is your responsibility to read the forum rules, please follow them on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don’t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...

Marvellous Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room

Level 1

Clear sills and wipe
    Clean Windows
    Wipe tables and chairs - don't forget underneath where sticky fingers linger
    Wipe switches and sockets

Level 2

Empty bin
    Clear sides and wipe down
    Wipe kettle and other small appliances
    Empty toaster and wipe crumb tray
    Check fridge and fruit bowl for anything that needs using or flinging.

Level 3

Wipe down cupboard fronts
    Sweep and mop floor

Extras

MAD half hour - post yours!
    HHI
    Make a me-time appointment for sometime this week - manicure, hair, coffee with a friend...
    Household accounts - are they up-to-date? Budget on track?
    If your weather forecast suits - and you're up to date with your laundry - wash any throws ready for winter.
    Check you meal plan for the week - can you double up on one meal to make a freezer filler ready for a lazy day.

Tuesday Twinkles Bathrooms, Shower Rooms and Cloakrooms

Level 1

Open window
    Empty waste bins
    Wipe shower screen or wash shower curtain
    Clean shower tray
    Clean taps, pipes and shower head
    Wipe tiles down

Level 2
    Dust windowsill
    Clean windows
    Polish any mirrors
    Scrub toilet
    Wipe down outside of toilet

Level 3
    Clean pull cord and door handles
    Scrub basins
    Polish taps
    Polish towel rail
    sweep/mop floor

Extras
    S&S kitchen - keep it tidy
    Wipe down all tiles in here
    Wash towels in a hot wash
    Put out fresh fluffy towels
    MAD half hour - spend ONLY hald an hour on a huge task - throw yourself in it then stop after 30 minutes. You can come back to it another day
    Don't forget yourself - do something for YOU even if it's only a quiet time with a book!

Wonderful Wednesday Living room

Level1

Empty out any rubbish
    Cleat coffee table
    Rehome aything which is out of place
    Wipe coasters
    Deal with any flowers/water & wipe plants
    Clear out fire/woodburner

Level 2

Dust and polish any wooden furniture or just dust
    Check corners for cobwebs/spiders and remove
    Dust skirting boards
    Wipe handles/sockets/switches
    Dust electricals

Level 3

Lift chair/sofa cushions and vacuum under them
    Wipe leather furniture/vacuum sofas
    Sweep/mop/vacuum floor

extras
    clean window in lounge
    MAD half hour - only half an hour - this is a nibble not a mouthful!
    HHI
    Binbag fling - grab a bin bag, run around t he house and fill it with gibble and CHUCK IT OUT
    Sorth out your handbag - dry orange peel is NOT permissible handbag content (just me then? oops)

Thursday Thrills Kids' Rooms/ Spare rooms/guest rooms

Level 1
    Open the windows wide
    Binbag dance
    Strip the bed and turn the mattress - if you can
    Clean under the bed if accessible
    Remake the bed

Level 2
    Dust any shelves and sills and flat surfaces
    If a guest/spare room check the lighting is fully-functional
    Wipe switches/sockets/skirtings

Level 3
    Clean the windows
    vacuum curtains/dust blinds
    Deal with floor - sweep - mop -vacuum - sandblact as appropriate

Extras
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour
    HHI

FABULOUS FRIDAY - GET SET FOR THE WEEKEND

open windows
    SPEND 10 minutes in each room doing this

empty bins
    straighten furniture/plump cushions
    make beds
    remove gibble and put it away
    have a just-damp cloth to remove sticky smears/wipe coasters

THEN
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    HHI

[/B]
    Last edited by Valli; 14-07-2017 at 8:49 AM.
    Make two - and freeze one!
    Don't put it DOWN - put it AWAY!
    DEBT ATTACK - Debts to attack 1-£6150.87 24/04/2017 £5303.03 22/07/2017 BT -
    £5342.65
    2 Virgin CC £585.88 31/7/2017 £494.88 11/8/2017
Page 1
    • ionafan
    • By ionafan 9th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 2,207 Posts
    • 33,143 Thanks
    ionafan
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    ...and here I am
    • hex2
    • By hex2 9th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    • 4,683 Posts
    • 79,661 Thanks
    hex2
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:07 PM
    Evening all, responding to a call from dance mum!

House of doom, and chronic CHAOS for us so about time too.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • greent
    • By greent 9th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 6,298 Posts
    • 63,807 Thanks
    greent
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    Count me in - less busy this week so I plan to fly x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1202.80/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1650/2017 items
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 9th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 3,679 Thanks
    Fayolle
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    Evening all, back in again.

Soooooo sorry for not posting for a couple of days. Another one who would hate the thread to go down. Like others, it's been such a support to me for the past few years, although I've only been posting this last year. I have no excuse for the past couple of days apart from a severe lack of guag, and (whispers so as not to offend others) a teensy bit fed up of no rain since May.

I have done no flying this weekend, but I have survived DD going to her first big teenage party, a teenage sleepover, general taxi duties, plus ate a tadpole this afternoon. FiL still in hospital, so everything is a bit topsy turvy at the mo.

But onwards and upwards, and I pinky promise to post everyday next week. You're a fab bunch xx
    • **Vanilla**
    • By **Vanilla** 9th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    **Vanilla**
    Hi everyone, I'm jumping back in again after reading the post on fb. Really wouldn't want the threads to disappear....

Have been flying non-stop today but think that's only because it was raining all day lol even cleaned the fridge out ready for a grocery shop tomorrow (gonna drag kids with me which I haven't done in years)
    Life is short, live it. Love is rare, grab it. Anger is bad, dump it. Fear is awful, face it. Memories are sweet, cherish it.”
    • froddington
    • By froddington 9th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 6,574 Posts
    • 92,923 Thanks
    froddington
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    I'm here - thanks Valli and Natty

Lovely to see so many flyladies posting again

I should find out tomorrow what is happening re my resignation - having a definite answer one way or another will hopefully help me. At the moment, I'm just about managing day by day as it's all up in the air .............

FFP - congrats on both new babies x

I was wondering about a flylady meet or two over the summer - maybe one in London or the south and one in the Brum area? Any thoughts or interest?

Right - a list (although it's Parents' Eve tomorrow so I doubt much flying will happen

Marvellous Monday - Kitchen

Level 1
    Clear sills and wipe
    Clean Windows

Level 2

Level 3
    Vacuum floor

Extras
    MAD half hour - post yours!
    "There's only one way of life - and that's your own"
    Depression is not a sign of weakness;
    it's a sign you have been strong for too long
    MFW No.3 Mortgage OPs 2017 £2650
    • dancemum
    • By dancemum 9th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 29,751 Thanks
    dancemum
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:25 PM

I'm in.

Pots washed and kitchen put to bed
    Coffee morning at school tomorrow, then belated birthday lunch so will have to fly early in the morning

Love to all x
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 9th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 34,152 Thanks
    Natty68
    Count me in please...please don't fall down in shock that I'm participating.. lol I'm packing hubby off to work tomorrow as he seems ok on the new drugs at the moment. AND I need to find my house..lol Xxxx

Struggling financially
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 9th Jul 17, 10:28 PM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 18,514 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    I'm definitely in this week. Flying will be afternoons only as I am starting the decorating in the house, while Tiny is at preschool!!! I can't quite believe we are at this stage

The new kitchen arrives on 14th, so DH has soda-blasted all the exposed timbers today and I have swept and lugged about 490kgs of used soda off the new sandstone floor and am now waiting for DH to finish his bath so we can update his CV to send to an important contact who has asked him to apply for a job at his company.

Who needs sleep?
    Womble No: 12 £3400.99 as at 5/4/2017
    Sealed pot challenge 2017 (#501)1/6/2016 = 10.12.2
    • lynnejk
    • By lynnejk 9th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 4,921 Posts
    • 51,549 Thanks
    lynnejk
    Evening all

Lovely to see so many peoples posting again

Thank you Valli and Natty for the lists again. I do look every day, although don't always follow them that day, but find they're invaluable in reminding me of the odd things I otherwise forget. It's definitely a sense of achievement if I've done all relevant by the end of the week though

I'll be on the 'dash' again this week, as it's the second week of Wimbles. Down side is that everything is 'kind of' done - up side is that I am getting through the paperwork clear-out (MADs) whilst watching it.

So hugs all round, sticks and spoons if you need some
    Hope you all have a super Monday
    Lx
    £10day..2014=3213..2015=3421..2016=3238..2017=1984....OCT=238.67/310
    GrocC..2014=2162..2015=2083..2016=2181..2017=1486....OCT=131.28/200
    Bulk buy.......OCT=21.09
    GC.NSD....2015=216....2016=213....2017=126....OCT=12/15
    SPC130x57...2014=1178...2015=1287...2016=4616. ..2017=764.96
    OS WL= -1/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £10,250
    • funfairprincess
    • By funfairprincess 9th Jul 17, 11:19 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 34,415 Thanks
    funfairprincess
    Hi all I'm still not in bed, I will regret this in the morning!

Anyways I'm in for the week thanks to Valli and Natty for the lists as always it's much appreciated xxx

No dancing this week so I've no excuses for not doing something when I get in from work. Gymnastics is on still but it's through the day so one of the boys will do drop off/pick up for me.

Im looking for ideas for cheap/cheerful/quick to make packed lunches that are anything apart from sandwiches or rolls, I'm sick to the back teeth of eating the same thing at work, can any of you help?

Right off to bed or I'll be more crabbit than usual in the morning
    I'm not a muggle...I'm just magically challenged
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 9th Jul 17, 11:33 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 20,624 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    I'm in. Another one who would hate to see the threads disappear. I'm pretty intermittent as so often life consists of lots of busy-ness that couldn't really be described as flying in the house, so I get guilty as I know it isn't a social club primarily so I shouldn't just post my drivel.
    Have a period of change now Mr N is retired and we settle into new routines - or maybe that won't happen till I'm back at uni in Sept/Oct.

Lots of weeding today.
    Paid cc bill.
    Finished on-line course.
    Picked a load of french beans to freeze.
    On refreshment and reading duty at church.
    Wrote list of "stuff" to do e.g. tax return, CPD log.
    Tomorrow will start the list, go to clubbercise, have a private student lesson, more weeding plus Mr N and I need to sit down with all our house deeds as the council who did a compulsory purchase on a strip of land at the front of our house in 1965 (before we were there) now want to buy it back. And charge us legal fees.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 9th Jul 17, 11:34 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 20,624 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    Im looking for ideas for cheap/cheerful/quick to make packed lunches that are anything apart from sandwiches or rolls, I'm sick to the back teeth of eating the same thing at work, can any of you help?
    Originally posted by funfairprincess
    I sometimes just assemble a salad in a small tupperware box.
    Wraps?
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 9th Jul 17, 11:46 PM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 40,119 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    Thanks to Valli for the thread and dancemum for the wake-up call. Very timely, as the house has started to slip back again after Easter. Busy week this week and I won't be in tomorrow until just before 7pm, but I'll see what I can do.

Marvellous Monday - Kitchen and Dining Room
    Level 1
    Clear sills and wipe
    Clean Windows
    Wipe tables and chairs - don't forget underneath where sticky fingers linger
    Level 2
    Empty bin
    Level 3
    Sweep and mop floor
    15 gone - 20 to go

Thanks, Kazw!
    • MrsChaos
    • By MrsChaos 9th Jul 17, 11:48 PM
    • 1,928 Posts
    • 40,119 Thanks
    MrsChaos
    Originally posted by funfairprincess
    You could have a look at ideas for all sorts of fancy salads (and soups and other things) on moneysavingexpert.com.
    15 gone - 20 to go

Thanks, Kazw!
    • Pollybear
    • By Pollybear 10th Jul 17, 1:45 AM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 57,006 Thanks
    Pollybear
    I'll be in. Didn't intend to be up posting this late. My 19 year old cat went out about 10 pm for "five minutes before bed" and has just strolled back in. We've been going round the street looking for her, peering under bushes and cars with a torch. No point calling her because she's deaf. She's got dementia too so she gets us up every hour or so every night.

It's like having a teenager again, strolled back in as though nothing was wrong and she hadn't been missing for over 3 hours!

I'll be like a zombie in the morning.
    • boddy
    • By boddy 10th Jul 17, 5:37 AM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 68,537 Thanks
    boddy
    Thank you Valli for this weeks list.

I've been working on the spare room for a while to get it sorted. Can see the spare bed now.

Laid up a bit last year with a broken knee. Had just walked out of the hospital so wasn't far to go back.

Nothing planned today so can have a go at the list.
    Last edited by boddy; 10-07-2017 at 7:38 AM.
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 10th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    • 2,044 Posts
    • 18,514 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Morning everyone lovely to see so many flyladies!

Very excited - first day decorating. Need to get some supplies from Screwfix after dropping Tiny off, so might get to start sometime around 10am, if I get a move on.

Kitchen is actually not too bad, so gentle flying later, it seems.

I have to ask...Boddy...how on earth did you break your knee walking out from the hospital?

Are you awake yet Pollybear? Cats sure do like to worry owners. Glad the old girl is OK

Laters peeps x
    Womble No: 12 £3400.99 as at 5/4/2017
    Sealed pot challenge 2017 (#501)1/6/2016 = 10.12.2
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 10th Jul 17, 7:20 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 3,679 Thanks
    Fayolle
    Morning. Guess who overslept, so in a mad rush this morning . And obviously last night I thought that leaving making lunches until the morning was a good idea. DH has yesterday's leftovers to reheat as he is on hospital visiting duties later, and I have salad. Again.

It's a full on day at work today, but planning on ticking off bits of the list later, as the kitchen is looking sorry for itself.

Just going to throw down some breakfast, then freezer dive for something for dinner for me and DD, maybe a S&S of the bathrooms at the same time. Ambitious, me??!

Have lovely days, and fingers crossed Froddington that you get the answer that you want from work. Glad the your cat made it home ok Pollybear.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,843Posts Today

7,264Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin