Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scottambrose
    • By scottambrose 9th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 4Thanks
    scottambrose
    tax credits new income
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    tax credits new income 9th Jul 17 at 8:51 PM
    i earn 25k a year and we get about 70 pounds a week in tax credits(have two school age kids)

my wife has just started work for the first time since having children in a care home im not sure what her hours will be yet as shes on bank shifts to start with.

my question is i think she will do about at least 20 hours a week at nmw.

by my reckoning we shouldn't then get any tax credits, but will we need to repay all that we have had since april this year?
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 9th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 10,810 Posts
    • 7,043 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    by my reckoning we shouldn't then get any tax credits, but will we need to repay all that we have had since april this year?
    Originally posted by scottambrose
    what was your total household income 16/17 and was your award based on this number?
    What do you estimate your total household income to be 17/18, you will need to estimate for your wife and account for starting part way through the tax year
    The first £2.5k of increase is disregarded
    When you notify them of the estimate for the year they will recalculate the award and either reduce or stop your payments (this stops any further overpayments accruing)
    • scottambrose
    • By scottambrose 9th Jul 17, 9:14 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    scottambrose
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:14 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:14 PM
    16/17 was 24030 i worked she didnt. award was based on this amount as i notified them of a pay increase last august and the payments went down. i would estimate income for 17/18 to be about 32k ish
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 9th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 10,810 Posts
    • 7,043 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    If you estimate £32k then they will use £29.5k as the new income so you should still qualify for some payment however you may already have received much/all of it in the payments since April. If not they should amend future payments
    • scottambrose
    • By scottambrose 9th Jul 17, 9:49 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    scottambrose
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:49 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:49 PM
    i will over estimate and get less or none then if we earn less at least the over payment wont be so much
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,046Posts Today

6,729Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin