Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The Reynolds
    • By The Reynolds 9th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    The Reynolds
    8 year old boiler/spares unavailable !
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    8 year old boiler/spares unavailable ! 9th Jul 17 at 8:44 PM
    Hello all,
    Our 8 year old boiler has developed a water leak,we had the service company out to repair it but they state the parts required are not now in production. We have searched the internet for these parts (heat exchange and chassis/case support) and sadly there are none,even secondhand on sale or no history of these parts.

The boiler has been drained and isolated.

At least its the summer and we have an immersion for temporary hot water.

Does anyone know any sites that stock or can get obsolete boiler parts ?

Thanks in advance for any info,assistance
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 9th Jul 17, 8:58 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:58 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:58 PM
    What boiler is? Ideal isar/ icos by any chance?
    • cajef
    • By cajef 9th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 4,488 Posts
    • 3,565 Thanks
    cajef
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    Have you tried the makers, when I was told a part for a boiler was no longer available by a service engineer I rang the makers and they had the required part on the shelf and were happy to supply it to me.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • The Reynolds
    • By The Reynolds 10th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    The Reynolds
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    Hi and Ta for the replies,

The boiler is a heat only reno by j&s and it was the makers (appointed) service company that gave us the bad news.
    It has been serviced on time since we moved in,the boiler was installed by the developer and there are many here (we will have a chat with our neighbours re boiler probs)

Thank you,
    Last edited by The Reynolds; 10-07-2017 at 2:21 PM.
    • Paul the Painter
    • By Paul the Painter 11th Jul 17, 7:58 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    Paul the Painter
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:58 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:58 AM
    Errrrr -- fourth result on Google searching for J and S boiler Reno.
    http://www.boilerparts.co.uk/HeatingSpares.aspx
    Plug in boiler make and model and heat exchanger comes up as available.
    3 models listed, but looks like they all use the same heat exchanger.

Chassis/case support sounds like a piece of bent metal, and a competent plumber should be able to advise on feasibility of simply making another bent piece of metal. I could be wrong though!

I would suggest a call to the manufacturer.
    Unless it is damaged or discontinued - ignore any discount of over 25%
    • The Reynolds
    • By The Reynolds 14th Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    The Reynolds
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:04 PM
    Errrrr -- fourth result on Google searching for J and S boiler Reno.

Plug in boiler make and model and heat exchanger comes up as available.
    3 models listed, but looks like they all use the same heat exchanger.

Chassis/case support sounds like a piece of bent metal, and a competent plumber should be able to advise on feasibility of simply making another bent piece of metal. I could be wrong though!

I would suggest a call to the manufacturer.
    Originally posted by Paul the Painter
    Thanks for the reply,sadly your link does not work = Server Error in '/' Application.
    We have chatted to a few neighbours and they have had other failures,there are a couple of legal issues we will look at but in the mean time another visit by the service company has been arranged for next week, their senior technician will visit.

The only way of getting any one to listen has resulted in us making a formal complaint (appointed service company)

Ta
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 14th Jul 17, 4:47 PM
    • 3,708 Posts
    • 7,468 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:47 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 4:47 PM
    The link may not work, as it's not able to drop in on the search page. Edit the link to go to their home page, select manufacturer and model, your components turn up just fine.....
    • GrumpyDil
    • By GrumpyDil 14th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    GrumpyDil
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 14th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    How about contacting a local heating/ boiler engineer and asking them to take a look for you rather than the appointed service company?
    • MrBluesky
    • By MrBluesky 15th Jul 17, 11:40 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    MrBluesky
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:40 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 11:40 AM
    sounds like the leaking part has corroded a bracket fabricated into the boiler case or the boiler case is water damaged rendering the boiler to be a danger.
    As the boiler has been maintained since new,they have a good reason for the house builder (if still around) to pay a percentage towards the repair or replacement.
    So they are awaiting a further inspection from the same service company,that is all they can do at the moment as it seems they know the legal approach.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 15th Jul 17, 12:01 PM
    • 436 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Alex1983
    A model of ideal boilers are the same, h/ex leaks on to chassis which corrodes and need replacing and the manufacturers have never made it as a spare. Don't know what Johnson and starley can do if they've never made it as a spare, the ideals are skipped and new boiler fitted. I would guess that's what will happen to your boiler.
    • The Reynolds
    • By The Reynolds 19th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    The Reynolds
    Just an update,
    We have been in further contact with the developer,their first reply they just fobbed us off,now after further communications with the developer they have offered us a full & final settlement figure of £800

As we were going to fit a new boiler later this year in conjunction with our kitchen extension,we accepted their offer.

Thank you for the replies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,942Posts Today

8,002Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin