Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scj1234
    • By scj1234 9th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    scj1234
    Home owner looking into BTL
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:52 PM
    Home owner looking into BTL 9th Jul 17 at 7:52 PM
    Hello

My name is Stuart, I currently own a home which is valued at 180k, my current mortgage is 134k remaining. I have 46k equity in it. my salary is 26k and wifes is 19k with zero dependents and a healthy amount of money left over each month.

We are looking into a BTL, 2 bed terraced property priced around 50k, rental on it is around 500pcm in the market.

We have around 5k in savings, and alot of money put away in pensions however we were hoping to possibly use equity in the house to fund the deposit for the BTL rather than savings.

Can anyone provide advice as to generally how much equity we can release and would you recommend gong through our current mortgage provider or use a broker? and also advise if there is anything else usefull we should know going into this whether is is possible at all?

Look forward to hearing from everyone.

Regards

Stuart
Page 1
    • Lilla D
    • By Lilla D 10th Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    • 236 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Lilla D
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:06 AM
    Hi Stuart,

In one of your earlier posts you indicated that your HSBC 2-year deal was finishing in May 2017. Have you taken out a new deal with them or with anyone else? If so, you'll have to weigh up the costs of remortgaging with someone else to raise money vs taking a further advance from your current lender.

Capital raising to use the money as deposit for a BTL is generally allowed, although some lenders want to see evidence of what you're buying before they give you the money. You're currently at 74% LTV, so dependent on the lender, you could increase your mortgage up to 80-90% LTV, i.e. £144k-£162k. This would give you £10k-£28k to spend on the new property (minus any ERC, fees and costs of course).

If HSBC can offer this to you direct, then that's fine, otherwise you may want to speak to a broker who can review even the details that are not in your post above and help you find the best option both for releasing cash and for the BTL mortgage.

I guess you're aware of the 3% stamp duty on the £50k property, the taxation rules on rental income, etc.?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

200Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin