Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sjgrnr1
    • By sjgrnr1 9th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    sjgrnr1
    When will be my last day after handing in notice?
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:27 PM
    When will be my last day after handing in notice? 9th Jul 17 at 6:27 PM
    I'm handing in my notice on Monday morning, I only have a one week notice period, so I'm just wondering - would my last day be Friday or Monday?

When I've handed in the past (4 week notice periods) it's always been a Friday last day after a handing in on a Monday morning - but I'm unsure now what date to put on my resignation letter? Would it be the Sunday or Monday?

I work 9-5 Monday to Friday if that helps give an idea.

Please help! I'm so confused!
Page 1
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 9th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:09 PM
    Hand in a week's notice on a Monday (at whatever time) and the week runs from the Tuesday. So the last day of employment would be the following Monday.

Do you want to finish on the Friday or are you content to leave it to Monday?
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 9th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 19,521 Posts
    • 31,536 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    I'd be leaving on Friday at 5pm, having put my notice in on Monday at 9am. If you worked weekends then I'd say Sunday as that's 7 days later (counting Monday as day 1) but since you don't then I'd not be there after this week.
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 9th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    I'd be leaving on Friday at 5pm, having put my notice in on Monday at 9am. If you worked weekends then I'd say Sunday as that's 7 days later (counting Monday as day 1) but since you don't then I'd not be there after this week.
    Originally posted by Spendless

You might do that but that's not how notice periods are properly calculated.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 10th Jul 17, 1:46 AM
    • 37,670 Posts
    • 33,986 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:46 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:46 AM
    Do you have any leave you're entitled to? If you do, I'd ask if I could finish on Friday and have the leave paid to me.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 1 shawl, 2 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure, 1 sock ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, t'other sock (just about to turn the heel!)
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 10th Jul 17, 7:48 AM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:48 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:48 AM
    You shouldn't hand in your notice in the week you leave, so what should happen is that you hand in your notice on Friday (at the latest) for the following Friday (or whatever your last day of the week is). I'd opt for doing it a day before to give management a day to ask me any questions they have before my final week.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,777Posts Today

8,003Users online

Martin's Twitter