Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 9th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    • 3,827Posts
    • 3,691Thanks
    sillygoose
    Windows 7 system Image
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    Windows 7 system Image 9th Jul 17 at 6:26 PM
    I am pretty religious about data backup, offsite, triplicate drives, fire safes etc but overlooked the actual Windows installation as W7 is so robust, I have not had to reinstall it in all the years since the PC was put together.

So got caught out the other day when it truly broke and had to reinstall, a few long evenings! not a bad thing really as it gave me an opportunity to update everything, leave off the dross and upgrade from 32 to 64 bit (a licence code works for either, who knew? )

Now we are all back in business I need to make some baseline backups, it looks like that is built in with the 'make system image function' in Win7.

So to the questions, can the image be restored from say a USB external hard drive plugged in? do we know if sufficient support is loaded after a boot from the install disk to read it?

Its too much for DVD's and there is a second hard drive in the PC that it looks like it might be able to use an image file on, but I really want to hedge against a catastrophic virus infection that would be on all drives on board.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 9th Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    • 8,108 Posts
    • 6,127 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:28 PM
    Yes, or you could use macrium reflect free
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 9th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    • 9,600 Posts
    • 7,163 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:34 PM
    Seconded, Thirded and Fourthed for Macrium...never had a failure with it
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 10th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 1,142 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    A lot of people seem to like Macrium, I have never used it so can't comment on it, except to say I downloaded the installer and it failed to download (at around 80%) after trying 43,000 times I gave up.

I certainly would NOT rely on anything within Windows.

One quick, easy and reliable tool for Win7 is Norton Ghost even though it has been discontinued for years. I found that the version on Hiren Boot disks prior to V10.6 was the most reliable.

Booting from a DVD and being able to ghost a partition to a file on another partition, disk or on a USB external disk has always been a preferred way of working for me.

It may be old but I just select the normal version of Ghost and it works for me, even with Win10, I restored to a backup PC of same model and all works well, can even dual boot.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,759Posts Today

8,144Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin