Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 9th Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    • 352Posts
    • 152Thanks
    sevenhills
    Getting a lodger, what is your experience?
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:14 PM
    Getting a lodger, what is your experience? 9th Jul 17 at 6:14 PM
    I am hoping to get a lodger, maybe next year. I do have a spare bedroom, but it does get used be family occasionally.
    But I am thinking about getting the loft into spare accommodation.
    I am not a tidy person, I have a dog; be maybe it will make me be tidier and be company for the dog.
    Lodger must like dogs, but I guess they tend to keep themselves to themselves, depends on the relationship.
    I may put my details online, for short term lodging, is it common?
Page 1
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 9th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    • 3,762 Posts
    • 5,130 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    You sound like a nightmare to lodge with. Unless you're willing to give someone free run of everywhere except your bedroom (and any private bathroom), it's not for you.
    • kelpie35
    • By kelpie35 9th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 4,567 Thanks
    kelpie35
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:32 PM
    Have you thought about cooking and washing facilities you are able to offer?

Unless you are willing to have someone living, eating and cooking in your home, then it is not for you.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 9th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:22 PM
    Have you thought about cooking and washing facilities you are able to offer?
    Unless you are willing to have someone living, eating and cooking in your home, then it is not for you.
    Originally posted by kelpie35
    That is something that every home has, and is obviously an essential.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 9th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:23 PM
    You sound like a nightmare to lodge with. Unless you're willing to give someone free run of everywhere except your bedroom (and any private bathroom), it's not for you.
    Originally posted by kinger101
    On the up side, my dog is very likeable, but if they dont like dogs, I guess my house is not for them.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 9th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 1,375 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:35 PM
    We've had 4 lodgers, overall a good experience with all of them. One was a bit untidy and smelly for my liking, but I do like a clean tidy home. Do not expect a lodger to be cleaner or tidier than you are- if you leave pots in the sink and washing drying for days on end, you can't expect your lodger to wash up after each meal and only dry clothes for the minimum time. Be clear in your ad - "must like dogs and a bit of creative mess, Kim and Aggie need not apply" people will get the message. And don't tidy for viewings. Your family wouldn't be able to use the room at all, and neither would you.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 40,500 Posts
    • 46,330 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    As long as you are upfront about your lifestyle, your pets, your expectations of a lodger etc, then there's a lodger out there for you.

It's all aout matching - a bit like dating. If you're not tidy yourself, you can't expect/demand a tidy lodger, but there are plenty of untidy, dog-loving lodgers aroud!

The attic conversion you need to research. You'll need Building regulations certification (the floor mayy need strengthening, the access must conform for safety, the insulation must be right etc etc).

You might need Panning ermission eg to install roof lights etc esp if the property is listed or in a Conservation Area.

This may help too:

LODGERS (Licencees/Excluded Occupiers)
    A lodger (broadly) lives in the same property with a resident landlord & shares facilities. Unlike tenants, lodgers have few rights.

The Housing Act 1988 provides definitions of 'Resident Landlord' & 'same property' (S31 & Schedule 1 (10).

See:

LodgerLandlord (21 tips from solicitor Tessa Shepperson + General information site)

Landlordzone (Various articles on taking in lodgers)

Renting out rooms in your home (Government info)

Rent a Room Scheme (HMRC guide for tax-free income from lodgers)
    • aneary
    • By aneary 9th Jul 17, 10:11 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    aneary
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:11 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:11 PM
    If your family only stay at weekends maybe think of mon-fri lets if there's demand in your area.
    Although there are slightly more demands on you (changing linens) but you get your home to yourself at the weekends.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 9th Jul 17, 11:23 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:23 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:23 PM
    Be clear in your ad - "must like dogs and a bit of creative mess, Kim and Aggie need not apply" people will get the message. And don't tidy for viewings. Your family wouldn't be able to use the room at all, and neither would you.
    Originally posted by Rambosmum
    As I get closer to getting a lodger I will do more tidying and could even pay for a cleaner, living on your own does make me not care about the house. It gets tidier when people come to visit.
    Not sure if I want the loft bedroom to be fully compliant, I may sleep up there if family stay.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,997Posts Today

7,816Users online

Martin's Twitter