Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GuruAsh
    • By GuruAsh 9th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    GuruAsh
    LISA and workplace pension scheme
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    LISA and workplace pension scheme 9th Jul 17 at 6:08 PM
    Hi,

I've done a fair bit of reading (and perhaps over-read) around LISA's in the past few days and decided I'd apply for Skipton's cash LISA.

There's a particular sentence on one of their application pages that I'm getting a little confused with:

"If you’re employed and save into a Lifetime ISA instead of enrolling in, or contributing to, a workplace pension scheme provided by your employer, or another personal pension scheme, the following could happen:
    • You will lose the contributions your employer would otherwise pay into that scheme
    • Your current or future entitlement to means tested benefits could be affected
    "

Now I have two interpretations of this sentence and two bullet points:

i) You can have both a LISA and a workplace pension and that the quoted sentence is simply saying that a LISA won't get employer contributions and that having a LISA isn't really a substitute for contribution workplace pension schemes, due to the extra cash you get from your employer. But opening and paying into a LISA doesn't affect existing workplace pension schemes in any way(?). My thought was that a LISA is just a special form of Cash ISA and is therefore completely separate from private workplace pensions...

or;

ii) If you take out a LISA, your existing workplace pension scheme will basically close somehow / lose employer contributions to it?!

I'm hoping that the first scenario is the case and not the second?! If someone could please clarify that'd be great!

This is probably obvious, but the more I read it the more cautious and paranoid I get!

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • badger09
    • By badger09 9th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 5,071 Posts
    • 4,271 Thanks
    badger09
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    Hi,

I've done a fair bit of reading (and perhaps over-read) around LISA's in the past few days and decided I'd apply for Skipton's cash LISA.

There's a particular sentence on one of their application pages that I'm getting a little confused with:

"If you’re employed and save into a Lifetime ISA instead of enrolling in, or contributing to, a workplace pension scheme provided by your employer, or another personal pension scheme, the following could happen:
    • You will lose the contributions your employer would otherwise pay into that scheme
    • Your current or future entitlement to means tested benefits could be affected
    "

Now I have two interpretations of this sentence and two bullet points:

i) You can have both a LISA and a workplace pension and that the quoted sentence is simply saying that a LISA won't get employer contributions and that having a LISA isn't really a substitute for contribution workplace pension schemes, due to the extra cash you get from your employer. But opening and paying into a LISA doesn't affect existing workplace pension schemes in any way(?). My thought was that a LISA is just a special form of Cash ISA and is therefore completely separate from private workplace pensions...

or;

ii) If you take out a LISA, your existing workplace pension scheme will basically close somehow / lose employer contributions to it?!

I'm hoping that the first scenario is the case and not the second?! If someone could please clarify that'd be great!

This is probably obvious, but the more I read it the more cautious and paranoid I get!

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by GuruAsh
    i) is the correct interpretation

PS You're not paranoid. They are out to get you
    • GuruAsh
    • By GuruAsh 9th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GuruAsh
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    Haha!

Thanks for the quick response!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

157Posts Today

1,364Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin