Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kayleigh_b69
    • By kayleigh_b69 9th Jul 17, 5:39 PM
    • 126Posts
    • 61Thanks
    kayleigh_b69
    Toe nail injury - advice please
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:39 PM
    Toe nail injury - advice please 9th Jul 17 at 5:39 PM
    7 weeks ago I had an accident and pulled a sofa back onto my big toe - this resulted in my nail being lifted from my toe but still attached at part of the cuticle. At A&E they were great and used for pets to place the nail back in order to protect the nailbed - they advised the nail would either re-attach or fall off, I needed to keep it clean and dry and dress with steri-strips and dressings daily.

I have been doing this every day and the nail doesn't appear to be doing either - it is lifting off the nail bed daily when I am taking the strips off to replace and it doesn't look like a new nail is growing and it definitely isn't re-attaching.

I was at the doctors 3 weeks ago as it had a bit of puss so was given antibiotics in case it was an infection brewing - the doc advised they would always rather save a nail so to keep on as I was and it all looked ok.

So my question is how long will this take to heal ? Is there anything I can do to help it along the way ? Does the old nail need to come off before a new one starts to grow ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - I can attach pics if anyone is in desperate need to see 🙈
    have the best little boy in the world

Tomorrow never comes coz tomorrow is always Today

:confused: Why Cant life Be Simple????:confused:
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 9th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 1,558 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    I would ask your GP to refer you to a podiatrist. At least that way an expert can assess it.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 9th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 4,776 Posts
    • 6,003 Thanks
    theoretica
    Nais don't grow any faster when they are damaged - it will be growing as slowly as your toe nails usually grow, which is usually something like 1.5mm a month. It may well take a year or more before you have a complete new nail grown out.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • keithdc
    • By keithdc 9th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    keithdc
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:27 PM
    All you can do is wait- aim is to keep dry and clean.

Stop changing steri-strips every day- leave them on until they fall off. Fine to change outer dressing daily (but no real need).

No need for podiatrist.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 12,417 Posts
    • 16,595 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:59 PM
    I ripped one of my toenails off on a rock while on holiday last year. I was in an out of the way place and had to remove it completely myself. I cleaned it and bathed it in salt water every day until it scabbed over.

It took probably six months before it grew back properly. It's a slow process.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 14,788 Posts
    • 36,822 Thanks
    elsien
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    I did exactly the same thing with my big toe nail and a settee. It did drop off eventually but it was flapping around for a while first - I may have given it a helping hand which I wouldn't recommend.
    Then I was left for nail less for a long time while the new one grew in properly. Don't remember how long it took though, sorry.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 2,485 Posts
    • 5,428 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:08 PM
    Lost my left big toe nail twice now due to walking extreme lengths.

Didn't hurt when the nail eventually came off but took about 6 months to fully grow back
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • kayleigh_b69
    • By kayleigh_b69 10th Jul 17, 7:43 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    kayleigh_b69
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:43 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:43 AM
    I ripped one of my toenails off on a rock while on holiday last year. I was in an out of the way place and had to remove it completely myself. I cleaned it and bathed it in salt water every day until it scabbed over.

It took probably six months before it grew back properly. It's a slow process.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    It's so nice in a strange kind of way that someone else has done the same thing - I've made my husband move the sofa since ��
    I'm impatient so maybe I'm expecting miracles
    have the best little boy in the world

Tomorrow never comes coz tomorrow is always Today

:confused: Why Cant life Be Simple????:confused:
    • Cristy Jones
    • By Cristy Jones 11th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Cristy Jones
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:54 PM
    I also ripped one of my toenails a few months ago, i didn't pull it off and just waited for it to grow back. It hasn't grown back to it's normal size yet
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,182Posts Today

9,170Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin