Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 9th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    • 76Posts
    • 103Thanks
    dfw87
    Debt Free Wannabe Teacher
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:36 PM
    Debt Free Wannabe Teacher 9th Jul 17 at 5:36 PM
    Hello,
    I am hoping to use this as a spending diary to keep me on track in my mission to become debt free!
    I've used MSE's website and forum for years and years (despite getting further and further into debt!) and am finally starting my very own thread!
    I have been in debt for quite a while now but it is only now that I have had my 'lightbulb' moment and I am determined to shift this debt.
    I am 30 this month and have always dreamed of owning a house - sadly I am around £18k in debt and so this is just not a possibility for me... yet.
    My debt has been accrued over the past 7 years whilst I was at university and is completely my fault. I went to university as a mature student having worked for years on a good salary. I never settled into a student spending mindset and continued spending as if I was earning, using my credit card to help me out.
    Since university, my debt has spiralled and I have ended up with 2 over drafts (-£350 and -£1800) and 3 credit cards (all around £5k each). These credit cards have long since past their 0% interest days and I am struggling so much to pay off.
    Rather stupidly, I have never made any real attempt to cut down on my spending properly. I am very generous (sorry to toot my own horn!) and this has massively contributed to my debt. I like to buy family and friends presents, trips away, meals etc and I spend as if I have much more money than I do.
    I have travelled (America and Eastern Europe) and this has added to my debt and I holiday once a year and usually have a city break. I also spend ridiculously on little things - popping to the shop to get salad and coming back with a trolley full!

I already shop at Lidl and shop around for the best deals... but I still get into debt!

So... I have had a horrible week confronting this debt and trying to find the best way out of it. I settled on a loan and was horrified to find that no one would lend to me. However, I finally told my Mum about my debts (this took a huge amount of bravery!) and she was so supportive. She is going to get a loan in her name (we have discussed the pros and cons in detail) and I am going to set up a DD for the amount each month.

I am a teacher and sadly I am completely unable to get paid any overtime for the many hours that I do over what is expected so I have taken on a bar job which is just shifts as and when needed. I have also taken a break from my pension just for now - this will give me an extra £100ish a month and I have also discussed this in detail and thought about the pros and cons.
    I have made sure that my pet and car insurance is the lowest it can be (for good service) and everything else is already at its lowest. I will cancel my gym membership as soon as I can (a few more months) and I will cancel my phone contract when it is up for renewal.

The main thing I can do to stop this ridiculous debt from spiralling is to stop shopping for clothes and food. I will use this page as a diary for my spending for the week!

Please do let me know if you have any advice - I am more than willing to hear it!

Thank you!
    Last edited by dfw87; 09-07-2017 at 9:14 PM.
Page 5
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 1st Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Have had a lovely couple of days away in Cornwall. We went bodyboarding, swimming, lots of walking and just relaxing. My Mum bought my brothers and I a caravan for Christmas a few years ago and we have it on a site in Cornwall, about 1.5 hours away from us. My plan for this Summer was to spend lots of time down there but with everything happening with my Granddad, this was the first time this Summer! I'm back at work on Monday (which I'm dreading!) so I won't get to use it again for a little while now as weekends will also be quite busy.

I spent about £16 on some drinks and nibbles at a bar for my Mum, brother and I. This is the sort of thing that I don't want to be spending money on but Mum paid for everything for the trip, and my brother bought us breakfast, so I needed to pay something. When I go, I plan to just keep it as cheap as possible by taking all of my own things. I also spent about £4 on some other drinks.

I got home today and went to Aldi to do my food shop. Lidl is more local to me but I could get 10% cashback if I used my Halifax card in Aldi and my boyfriend drove so it didn't cost me any extra petrol! I spent about £28 for the week, which includes all breakfasts, lunches and dinners for the week. Also included some other things for school and a treat dinner for tonight.

Tomorrow I am working behind the bar which means I will be earning money and also not out spending money! My boyfriend is going to work with me as they couldn't find anyone else - he really doesn't need the money but it's nice of him to help. It is a wedding so should hopefully get some tips too - the last one I got about £15 in tips.

Sunday I am off to a market with my Mum - will try not to buy anything!!

Today I quickly sorted out my banking - I opened the HTB ISA and I have to send £200 to that by standing order each month. I've also opened a separate savings account for any other money as some months I may find it hard to transfer £200 a month. My plan is to put all savings into savings account, then once a month send £200 from here to the ISA... hope it works!

I cashed out £50ish from Prolific Academic which is awesome - £100 in the last 6ish weeks!
    I got another £13 in Amazon vouchers from Swagbucks and I'm close to another £3.
    Since 'lightbulb moment' on 9th July 2017:
    £668.10 paid of a £20,043.00 loan
    £1,574.11 saved
    • DancingUnicorn
    • By DancingUnicorn 2nd Sep 17, 10:24 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    DancingUnicorn
    Sounds like things are going really well for you. You've managed to hit the PA studies hard! I'm looking forward to school holidays where I can have those refreshing in the background while I do essays so I don't miss any throughout the day!
    I'm just starting to try with Swagbucks but don't seem to get any surveys or anything to really get any points built up.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend and are refreshed and ready for Monday!
    LBM: October 2016: £20,130 / Current: July 2017: £18,475 8.2%
    DFD: February 2024
    SPC#577
    EF#237 9%
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 3rd Sep 17, 10:25 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Sounds like things are going really well for you. You've managed to hit the PA studies hard! I'm looking forward to school holidays where I can have those refreshing in the background while I do essays so I don't miss any throughout the day!
    I'm just starting to try with Swagbucks but don't seem to get any surveys or anything to really get any points built up.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend and are refreshed and ready for Monday!
    Originally posted by DancingUnicorn
    Thanks - I feel like I've done really well considering it's been the Summer holidays and the potential for spending has been high!
    £1,574.11 saved
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 3rd Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Yesterday:

Started well - spent no money all day! Went to watch my bf play rugby, then was doing a bar shift, 4 til close. Got to 6:30 when the party should have been set up and still no sign of them... they never turned up! So, I only worked til 8. Better than nothing but annoying when I had booked myself out to work that night. So, 7 hours of extra work this week - will get paid for that next Friday and will add straight to savings.

Ended up getting a takeaway after that which was a bit silly!
    £1,574.11 saved
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 3rd Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Today:

Well, there will be no spends today as it is such a miserable day! We are staying in ALL day! I was planning to go to a market with my Mum but it just wasn't worth going in the rain.

Back to work tomorrow and I am dreading it. I'm sure it'll be fine once I get going again, but I'm just not ready to go back. I feel like I sound so spoilt as I have had 6 weeks off! However, with my Granddad dying and everything that comes with that, I don't feel relaxed or settled at all and I don't want to go back to the real world. However, saying that, I am so lucky that it all happened in the summer and I didn't have to worry about work.

I had my LBM right at the end of term and so I haven't had any time whilst working to be saving money... my plan is just to have as many no spend days as possible - the only things I need to be buying are petrol and a weekly food shop. I've also decided to carry on with the bar shifts on weekdays but not weekends.

Petrol is about £25 a week but I am going to try to lift share occasionally. Food shop is about £20 a week.

Anything I need to buy for school, I will try to use my Amazon vouchers - I am going to try to limit this as much as possible anyway!
    £1,574.11 saved
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 3rd Sep 17, 9:00 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Ended up not being a NSD after all as I popped out to top up with petrol - had about 1 journey to and from work left in the tank so thought I would top up now to avoid the hassle tomorrow. Hopefully that means I can have at least 5 NSDs this week.
    £1,574.11 saved
    • DancingUnicorn
    • By DancingUnicorn 4th Sep 17, 6:15 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    DancingUnicorn
    Hope your first day back went well! I do my food shopping and car filling on weekends so that the majority of my week can be NSD's (I don't count when bills come out). Hopefully get a school menu tomorrow then I can plan which days I'm staying for dinners and begin to meal plan properly!
    SPC#577
    EF#237 9%
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 5th Sep 17, 7:04 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Hope your first day back went well! I do my food shopping and car filling on weekends so that the majority of my week can be NSD's (I don't count when bills come out). Hopefully get a school menu tomorrow then I can plan which days I'm staying for dinners and begin to meal plan properly!
    Originally posted by DancingUnicorn
    That is my plan!

I'm making all my packed lunches - we have to pay for school dinners and a jacket potato and fillings comes to about £4 which I am not paying! Currently just having a sandwich, crisps and a biscuit.

I would love to have something more healthy but I have found that one of the reasons I used to spend so much money was trying to have fancy, healthy lunches!
    £1,574.11 saved
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 5th Sep 17, 7:09 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Yesterday and today:

So, first couple of days back at school were INSET days and went well. My classroom is totally ready for the kids tomorrow! We had a shared lunch yesterday so everyone takes things in - we had loads of leftover scones and cream from my Granddad's funeral so I froze them and then took those in - everyone loved them and it was free for me!

I am trying to lose weight by calorie counting and when I was shopping I stupidly just rushed and picked up some mince for my dinners this week without looking at the fat content - it was 23% - no wonder it was so cheap! I went to make my dinner and just couldn't use that - I would hardly get anything for my calories and would be hungry still! So, my BF has said he will have that and he has bought me some chicken to replace it. So, NSD yesterday!

Today I took my own lunch in - just going simple with a sandwich, crisps and bar. I have done a million fancy diets and one of the reasons I am in debt was my constant need to buy things that were healthy or concoct exciting recipes.

I love cooking but actually I need to just stick to basic foods for now and save my money!

I got in from work and took my dog for a lovely, windy walk on the beach. Now off to make some dinner and my lunch for tomorrow.

I'm a bit sad that I am not getting an PA surveys recently - they've been pretty slow and I am hardly going to be able to do them during the day now that I am at school. Oh well!
    £1,574.11 saved
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 6th Sep 17, 9:25 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Today:

Another NSD day for me. I did have to post something (which was covered by eBay buyer) and I owed my bf £3 from the weekend so I am not counting those.

It was the children's first day back at school today and it all went well. Already being pressured to buy things for my class but I am not giving in!!
    £1,574.11 saved
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 7th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Today:

Ended up spending today - I needed to go to Home Bargains for a couple of toiletries and a card. Spent about £7.

Had a good day at work and was told I am getting a pay rise - woo! It doesn't go through until the October pay but it will be backdated to include September's pay so I will add all of that straight into my savings. This means I will be earning an extra £2,000ish a year - before tax obviously. Every little helps!
    £1,574.11 saved
    • Narola1976
    • By Narola1976 8th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Narola1976
    Great news about the pay rise!!
    HSBC CC £7150.15 - £6524.68 ~~~ Barclay Card £7894.74 £7846.32 ~~~ MBNA 1 £10382.67 - £10272.67 ~~~ MBNA 2 £7214.28 - £7062.94 ~~~Argos £202.05 - £100.05 ~~~ HSBC Loan £399.27 - £0 ~~~ Hitachi Loan £24.12 - £0 ~~~ Car Loan £14745.60 - £14008.32
    TOTAL £48012.88 - £45814.98 (Paid £2197.90 so far)
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 8th Sep 17, 6:10 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Woo, another NSD!

I have a major Diet Coke addiction - seriously spend so much money on it. I quit buying it on Monday and I know that'll be saving me about £2 a day! I'll still drink it (I know about all the baddies in it... it's my one guilty pleasure as I hardly drink alcohol and I don't smoke!) but only if I am in a pub or something.

Today I got my wages in from my bar job - £47.27 straight to the savings account. I also got £5 from Swagbucks today so transferred that over to savings too. A cheque cleared in my current account so that's looking quite healthy.

Tonight I am working a bar shift - not sure why I agreed to that after a long week at work! But, it's 6:30-12ish so should be a nice little bit of money and hopefully some tips too.

Hope you all have a good weekend!
    £1,574.11 saved
    • mollymunchkin
    • By mollymunchkin 8th Sep 17, 7:37 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    mollymunchkin
    Well done on all your savings so far! I work in a school too and I'm volunteering tomorrow at an Ironman race, my shift starts at 7.30am! Glutton for punishment, lol
    Cos I don't shine if you don't shine.
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 9th Sep 17, 11:26 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Thanks Molly Munchkin!

The bar shift went well - I did 6 hours (my back felt it!!) so that should be £40.37 to come next Friday. I also earned a huge £25.55 in tips which I've kept in my purse but I have transferred the equivalent over from my current account to my savings.

Looking like I'll have a good amount left at the end of the month to go in to my savings too!

My boyfriend's family have asked me to go to skiing with them from Boxing Day to new year - hopefully I can go but also I know it'll cost me! They only want me to pay for my flights which will be about £100 but then there'll be renting equipment etc... I'll have to have a think about it!

Today I am going to see my Dad as he is off travelling for 6 weeks tomorrow. Then I am going to watch my bf play rugby and then I am off to a food and drink festival - I'll aim not to spend more than £10.
    £1,574.11 saved
    • DancingUnicorn
    • By DancingUnicorn 10th Sep 17, 9:54 AM
    • 86 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    DancingUnicorn
    Well done on the payrise! Hope the food and drink festival wasn't tpo tempting.
    SPC#577
    EF#237 9%
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 10th Sep 17, 2:31 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Actually didn't end up going to the food festival as it chucked it down!

I spent £1 on a drink at the rugby, and then we went to M & S (my fave!) to get some things for tea - my bf paid.

Today, I did my Lidl shop which cost me about £20 for the week and means I shouldn't need to buy anything else this week. Sadly my car tyre is completely flat! That'll cost to get it sorted but at least I don't need to worry about where I'll get the money now - I feel so much more in control!
    £1,574.11 saved
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 11th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Another NSD day today.

Should have been a spend today as my tyre was supposed to get fixed but I stupidly took my key to work with me so my BF couldn't get it sorted! Whoops!

However, it did mean that I shared a lift to work with a colleague which saved me £5 of petrol. I would do this more often (obviously we would take it in turns) but, working in a school, sometimes we work completely different evening hours. She is the deputy head so has to stay later than me.

My BF said I can use his car which is a company one (family business) tomorrow so that's another £5 of petrol saved. I'll have to pay for my tyre though of course!

We said that I may be able to use his car once a week (I need to get used to it as it's an automatic!) - if I use is once a week, that's £5 a week saved. Potential of £25 a week, although I can't imagine I can use it every day. His family pay his fuel so it wouldn't cost either of us - bit cheeky!

Have made another £4ish from another survey site - will pay that into my savings when it comes in.
    £1,574.11 saved
    • dfw87
    • By dfw87 12th Sep 17, 6:09 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    dfw87
    Not a NSD day by any account! Got my tyre replaced today which cost £40, plus a £15 call out fee. I also had to pay the £15 call out fee from yesterday - I forgot to give my BF my key so that is a very annoying charge!

Anyway, at least I had the money available! That would have usually gone on the credit card. I have saved 2 days worth of petrol. I got my payslip today and should have £40ish in my bank on Friday from my bar job. I also signed up to a small shift for Friday night - 5-9ish so every little helps!
    £1,574.11 saved
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 12th Sep 17, 8:34 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Hi,

I'm a teacher too, and now wanting out of the profession so need to stop spending and reduce my debt as much as possible.

I do some tutoring on the side and ask for £30 per hour via a website called first tutors. I get a few bits of work from it (one starting next week) so it can be lucrative.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin