Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ronan.barton
    • By ronan.barton 9th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ronan.barton
    BMW Finance?
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:29 PM
    BMW Finance? 9th Jul 17 at 5:29 PM
    Hi all, A quick question I have seen a few posts but all are quite old.

I am 21 and have quite a poor credit score from not having much credit, my question to you all is have you ever had experience with BMW and what is there minimum credit score?

I have an okay job, 24k + a year plus I live at home so no other costs!
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:46 PM
    No lender uses credit scores from the credit reference agencies, it is basically a meaningless number. All they use is the contents of your file and then they generate their own score from that.

Your living at home with your parents actually is a negative as you basically have no incentive to repay, it isn't like you have anything to lose.
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 9th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 4,140 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:55 PM
    Car finance is generally easier to get as they just take the car back if you dont pay
    • bazzyb
    • By bazzyb 9th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 3,182 Thanks
    bazzyb
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    What do you mean by not much credit? What do you have, and do you have any late/missed payments or worse?

If you're looking at getting good finance through Alphera (BMW) then I would assume you're looking at a new or nearly new car? If so, it may help to let us know:
    What car are you looking to get
    What is the price
    What finance package are you looking at (e.g. HP/PCP)
    What is the insurance group of the car

These will have far more impact on the decision than your credit history alone - especially if you have what lenders would refer to as a 'thin' credit file.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 10,142 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    Car finance is generally easier to get as they just take the car back if you dont pay
    Originally posted by bengalknights
    ^This. It's the very fact the car stays the property of the finance co. up and until you settle the finance is generally why car finance is fairly easy to get.
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 9th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    Mobeer
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:06 PM
    For BMW PCP on a new car, they will make their own credit score for you and do not look at scores from credit reference agencies.

They ask questions including:
    - personal details
    - your address (and previous)
    - married\single
    - homeowner\tenant
    - job, time in occupation, time with employer
    - income, rent\mortgage, school fees
    - bank details, time with bank

Weirdly I was advised that the questions on salary and outgoings need not be completed because the answers are not used, which seemed very odd.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 9th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    • 10,142 Posts
    • 7,092 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    For BMW PCP on a new car, they will make their own credit score for you and do not look at scores from credit reference agencies.

They ask questions including:
    - personal details
    - your address (and previous)
    - married\single
    - homeowner\tenant
    - job, time in occupation, time with employer
    - income, rent\mortgage, school fees
    - bank details, time with bank

Weirdly I was advised that the questions on salary and outgoings need not be completed because the answers are not used, which seemed very odd.
    Originally posted by Mobeer
    The only information I had to give them was name, address, homeowner and whether I was employed/self-employed. They've never asked me questions about income etc. In fact it was as easy as getting a mobile phone contract.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,500Posts Today

7,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin