Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • enigma82
    • By enigma82 9th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 12Thanks
    enigma82
    What Screws and Wall Plugs
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    What Screws and Wall Plugs 9th Jul 17 at 4:54 PM
    We've just bought a house and are trying to put up some Ikea floating shelves, they don#t come with screws for the wall and I'm getting pretty confused about what fixings I should be using.

The shelves are going on an external wall, so masonry. My initial research suggest we need 50mm screws to support the shelves which can take up to 15KG weight. That's where I am getting confused, firstly what type of screws should I be using for going into this wall when using a wall plug, as I understand masonry screws are for use without wall plugs, so can I just use a multi purpose screw?

Secondly, what length of wall plug should I use? Common sense tells me it should be the length of the screw so that the whole length is supporting the weight, but I can't seem to easily find 50mm wall plugs unless you want to use 8mm+ thick screws, which won't fit in the shelf holes. Am I missing something?
Page 1
    • I have spoken
    • By I have spoken 9th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 4,831 Posts
    • 9,538 Thanks
    I have spoken
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    Something like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/vht/Rawlplug-4ALL-06-4540-Nylon-Multi-Purpose-Screw-pieces/B00E22OZYE
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 9th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:04 PM
    The RAWL 4 ALL plugs linked to above are good plugs and have the advantage that they can be used on masonry, dot and dab and plasterboard stud walls.

That said, standard red plugs and regular wood screws would probably be fine for a basic shelf with not much weight on it.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Jul 17, 6:49 AM
    • 5,979 Posts
    • 4,723 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:49 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:49 AM
    I've used these for boarded walls or walls with deep plaster.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300mm-Long-PVC-RED-WHITE-GREEN-BLUE-Rawl-Wall-Plug-CUT-TO-SIZE-Screw-Rawlplug-/201488477764?var=&hash=item2ee9a62e44:m:m4TSvx7mhh RcFMHKEj_WQ1Q
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,006Posts Today

8,462Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin