Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 9th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    • 3,035Posts
    • 4,868Thanks
    another casualty
    Connect old Mac mini to new iMac ?
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:41 PM
    Connect old Mac mini to new iMac ? 9th Jul 17 at 4:41 PM
    Howdy
    I have a 10+ year old Mac mini , running on snow leopard (20.5.8?)
    In the next couple of weeks, I will be getting a new iMac .
    Just wondering if I can do the above ?? Trying to save space and use 1 screen only
    The old Mac mini has the old vga connections . I have got a vga- hdmi cable which I used for connecting to my tv. Not sure if that's relevant or as I suspect Appe will ensure I purchase a new expensive cable .

Thanks
Page 1
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 9th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    • 8,269 Posts
    • 6,227 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:30 PM
    Use teamviewer perhaps
    • datostar
    • By datostar 10th Jul 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 609 Thanks
    datostar
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:36 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:36 AM
    Should check with the Apple Forums on the official site. I've got a late 2012 iMac and there definitely isn't any way of physically connecting another computer to it to use it as a monitor. I doubt that newer models will have it either. You might be able to use mirroring from the Mac mini if it supports that but a 10 yr old model might not.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 10th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 7,092 Posts
    • 2,851 Thanks
    almillar
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    There is an era of iMac that allows it to be used as a monitor for another computer, but it only lasted for 1-2 years, and you had to actually have the Mac running for it to work!
    If we're talking about a new iMac here, then no. VNC or Teamviewer as above, but It'll be laggy compared to directly into a monitor. Any old LCD TV should have a VGA input, or you can get converters (not Apple ones!) for VGA to DVI, or HDMI, which has you covered for any flatscreen TV or monitor.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 4,868 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:25 PM
    Thanks for your help folks .
    Looks like the best thing to do , is to hook it up to my tv.
    No big deal really , other than it being an eyesore in my hifi rack underneath the tv
    • rhysadams
    • By rhysadams 11th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    rhysadams
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    Teamviewer is really good to see your device. I use this when I'm away from the office.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,686Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin