Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • webrador3
    • By webrador3 9th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    webrador3
    How to partially format a hard drive?
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    How to partially format a hard drive? 9th Jul 17 at 4:18 PM
    I just installed Windows 8 on my computer. I placed the files I wanted to keep on an external hard drive prior to the installation, that is fine. However, I though that the process would format the computer's hard drive, which it did not.

Is it possible to format my hard drive in order to keep only what is related to Windows 8?
    If not, can I format the whole thing and re-use the same Windows 8 key?

Thanks for your help
Page 1
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 9th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    How did you install Windows 8? From boot, choosing the Custom Install?

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/the-complete-guide-to-a-windows-8-clean-installation/
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 10th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    Is it possible to format my hard drive in order to keep only what is related to Windows 8?
    Originally posted by webrador3
    No

If not, can I format the whole thing and re-use the same Windows 8 key?
    Originally posted by webrador3
    Yes. Re install Windows. At the beginning there is an option to choose where to install Windows. Go that route, delete all the partitions on the disk, and then the disk will be wiped and Windows installed. Only have the disk you intend to install Windows on connected to the computer.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 10th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    It is a pain working with disks that have more than one partition. If you fill one up it will cause difficulties, especially if it is the one with the OS on it. There is no need for most people to have more than one partition per physical disk and it means you can use the space more easily.
    • were
    • By were 10th Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    Why not just back it up onto portable media? To be honest you will probably never use it again?

If putting it onto a second partition, when the drive fails, you still will lose both.

I upgraded online and there was a roll back feature
    • were
    • By were 11th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 499 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    were
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    Of course the idea is to move the image off, it is just quicker to backup onto that partition than straight to USB.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    To repartition, set up the boot order, then backup is more involved and takes longer than a simple backup.

Ideally you would not need it again but when you do and you have it then you feel glad you did.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Six of one and half a dozen of the others. Yes can be handy in the right circumstance, but when you need it it is often the wrong circumstance . Only time it is of use if you have some dependence base on the original os. The first thing that shrunken partition will probably do when active after time is auto update, possibly eating up the meagre space given to it, non of the recent apps and addons will be there either. My twisted opinion is a bootable usb would be far more useful, and a recent periodic backup of the new o/s is very useful too.

Disclaimer: I have done it in the past a good few times, and for me it was a waste of space and time. Once a virus messed up both partitions too. The real time i needed it was when the drive failed and after a brief attempt thought it easier to drive in 6" rubber nails into concrete than trying to get that partition to work on a faulty drive.
    • ChristianC123
    • By ChristianC123 18th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ChristianC123
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    Nope, the only way you could do a "partial" format is to make a secondary partition and move all of the existing data to the other partition, then format the main partition.

Regards,
    Christian
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 18th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    jshm2
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    • 18th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    I think you mean a "Windows refresh" rather than a reinstall.

If you hit the "Settings" option in Windows 8 and then go into "update and recovery" then select "recovery" you have the option of a partial reset or a full reset. The CDkey installed will be used
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,969Posts Today

8,570Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin