Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • webrador3
    • By webrador3 9th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    webrador3
    How to partially format a hard drive?
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:18 PM
    How to partially format a hard drive? 9th Jul 17 at 4:18 PM
    I just installed Windows 8 on my computer. I placed the files I wanted to keep on an external hard drive prior to the installation, that is fine. However, I though that the process would format the computer's hard drive, which it did not.

Is it possible to format my hard drive in order to keep only what is related to Windows 8?
    If not, can I format the whole thing and re-use the same Windows 8 key?

Thanks for your help
Page 1
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 9th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    How did you install Windows 8? From boot, choosing the Custom Install?

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/the-complete-guide-to-a-windows-8-clean-installation/
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 10th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 996 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:38 AM
    Is it possible to format my hard drive in order to keep only what is related to Windows 8?
    Originally posted by webrador3
    No

Yes. Re install Windows. At the beginning there is an option to choose where to install Windows. Go that route, delete all the partitions on the disk, and then the disk will be wiped and Windows installed. Only have the disk you intend to install Windows on connected to the computer.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 10th Jul 17, 2:51 PM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 1,132 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:51 PM
    Of course you can.
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:51 PM

Thanks for your help

Yes of course it IS!

Start off by downloading the Mini Partition Wizard tool, or get the boot disk version

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

If you have already installed Windows you can resize the Windows partition to around 50gb or 35gb as a minimum if you will not be adding anything.

Then create additional partitions for Data and maybe a Page file

You can then set your libraries to the Data Volume

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/moving-your-personal-data-folders-in-windows-vista-the-easy-way/

If you are new to partitions this page might help

https://www.howtogeek.com/184659/beginner-geek-hard-disk-partitions-explained/

Although I recommend Mini Partition Wizard tool you can shrink volumes in Windows but you do not have the flexibility of that free tool

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/resize-a-partition-for-free-in-windows-vista/

With regard to licence keys make sure you have it noted upfront

Unless you have a corporate licence you should usually only install on once machine at a time. No issue reinstalling on same machine over and over.
    Thanks, don't you just hate people with sigs !
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 10th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 996 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:34 PM
    It is a pain working with disks that have more than one partition. If you fill one up it will cause difficulties, especially if it is the one with the OS on it. There is no need for most people to have more than one partition per physical disk and it means you can use the space more easily.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 10th Jul 17, 7:09 PM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 1,132 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:09 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:09 PM
    It is a pain working with disks that have more than one partition. If you fill one up it will cause difficulties, especially if it is the one with the OS on it. There is no need for most people to have more than one partition per physical disk and it means you can use the space more easily.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    Actually, I find partitions a much better way to work and there are performance improvements too.

Imagine you had a filing cabinet with no drawers or sections.

I find it encourages disciplined care of data, for example I have a partition for all data I create and that has a priority in terms of backup, anything I download or can get back online is on another partition.

Of course you have to get the sizes right, it will not make up for a drive that is smaller than your needs. I agree that you should always make sure your Windows drive does not fill up. Windows 10 uses about 15gb less than Win7 because it does not have two copies of a million files it does not need. Of course it is unlikely to fill up with no data being written to it.

I recently put in an SSD that is half the size, just made me more disciplined.

As for ease, I find it sloppy to just stick all kinds of files on one partition.

It is easier not to have security but not so easy when you lose your data

It is easier to just have an Admin account but it makes Windows much more vulnerable to malware.

When friends and family bring me machines that are slow I always partition their disk and set their libraries to use those partitions. I always get positive feedback.

Also from a security point of view malware often targets C but not all your partitions.

It is also great for system recovery and dual booting, I can flip between Win10 and Win7, both can look at these extra partitions so no need to install programs twice or to have multiple copies of data files.

My Windows drive has over 142,000 odd files in 31,148 folders

My data drive has 25,000, files in 1440 folders, if they were on the same drive the index for my data would have to include those extra 142,000 files and an extra 31,148 folder which would make it less responsive

I have other partitions with 22,000 files in 2700 folders and 21,000 in 700 folders, I did have a lot more but they are now stored on different media.

I appreciate not all people can cope with self discipline, but I like it.
    • were
    • By were 10th Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    were
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:59 PM
    Why not just back it up onto portable media? To be honest you will probably never use it again?

If putting it onto a second partition, when the drive fails, you still will lose both.

I upgraded online and there was a roll back feature
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 11th Jul 17, 7:21 AM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 1,132 Thanks
    DavidP24
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:21 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:21 AM
    Why not just back it up onto portable media? To be honest you will probably never use it again?

If putting it onto a second partition, when the drive fails, you still will lose both.

I upgraded online and there was a roll back feature
    Originally posted by were
    Of course the idea is to move the image off, it is just quicker to backup onto that partition than straight to USB.

Ideally you would not need it again but when you do and you have it then you feel glad you did.
    • were
    • By were 11th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 447 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    were
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:56 AM
    Of course the idea is to move the image off, it is just quicker to backup onto that partition than straight to USB.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    To repartition, set up the boot order, then backup is more involved and takes longer than a simple backup.

Ideally you would not need it again but when you do and you have it then you feel glad you did.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    Six of one and half a dozen of the others. Yes can be handy in the right circumstance, but when you need it it is often the wrong circumstance . Only time it is of use if you have some dependence base on the original os. The first thing that shrunken partition will probably do when active after time is auto update, possibly eating up the meagre space given to it, non of the recent apps and addons will be there either. My twisted opinion is a bootable usb would be far more useful, and a recent periodic backup of the new o/s is very useful too.

Disclaimer: I have done it in the past a good few times, and for me it was a waste of space and time. Once a virus messed up both partitions too. The real time i needed it was when the drive failed and after a brief attempt thought it easier to drive in 6" rubber nails into concrete than trying to get that partition to work on a faulty drive.
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 11th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 1,132 Thanks
    DavidP24
    I partition by default so no issue for me.

If you look at any corporate IT dept they have "builds" of windows for different departments. It is good practice to have a backup of your windows build and to create new ones from time to time.

On most of my systems I have 3 bootable operating system, usually

P1 Win7
    P2 Win7 backup (hidden partition so not visible to malware)
    P3 Win10 (Also hidden on systems where I do not regularly use Win10)

I then have my Program, Data, and Page partitions.

If windows gets corrupted it is a simple matter of booting a Hiren or Mini Partition wizard tool, I hide P1 and unhide P2, I boot into P2 and run EasyBCD to set it as default.

Later when I have time I can investigate what went wrong, in the event that Windows was infected (never happened) I could easily restore unhide P1, clone to P1, set P1 back to default and hide P2.

Downtime about 5 minutes tops which is what is important to me because of the way I am paid.

Yes bootable USB is good and there are a lot of bootable DVD's ISO's

• ChristianC123
    • By ChristianC123 18th Jul 17, 9:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ChristianC123
    Nope, the only way you could do a "partial" format is to make a secondary partition and move all of the existing data to the other partition, then format the main partition.

Regards,
    Christian
    • jshm2
    • By jshm2 18th Jul 17, 11:15 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    jshm2
    I think you mean a "Windows refresh" rather than a reinstall.

If you hit the "Settings" option in Windows 8 and then go into "update and recovery" then select "recovery" you have the option of a partial reset or a full reset. The CDkey installed will be used
    • DavidP24
    • By DavidP24 18th Jul 17, 11:57 PM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 1,132 Thanks
    DavidP24
    Nope, the only way you could do a "partial" format is to make a secondary partition and move all of the existing data to the other partition, then format the main partition.

Regards,
    Christian
    Originally posted by ChristianC123
    These small posts adding no value to a thread that is complete suggest that you are preparing to post a bit of
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin