Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jdownes89
    • By Jdownes89 9th Jul 17, 3:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jdownes89
    Looking to progress to management (construction)
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:52 PM
    Looking to progress to management (construction) 9th Jul 17 at 3:52 PM
    Hey everyone.

Looking for some advice really to help me in making a decision on the best thing to do.

I'm a 27 year old fully qualified plumbing & heating engineer and I want to progress onto the management side of the construction industry. My reason for this is that although I love my trade it's starting to take its toll on my body and I honestly can't see myself doing this well into my 50's besides I feel like I have stopped progressing which is what I want to do in life. I want to keep climbing the ladder so I can have a prosperous life.

I've been looking in to what need to be done in order to achieve my goals but I don't know what's best and how I could increase my chances of finding an employer who will put me through the courses needed in order to be successful.

I think my strong background in construction will benefit me and my employer but I honestly don't know where to start.

Any advice/ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 9th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    • 9,637 Posts
    • 7,629 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:21 PM
    There's far, far more chance of you being employed as a plumber than a company training you to be a manager. How many construction companies are there in your area large enough to have a management team, as it is these you should be approaching. A bit left field, but would you fancy teaching plumbing at a college or similar?

I know plumbing is physically demanding (as are many trades in the construction industry), but I think 27 is a little young to be thinking about giving it up. Most of our local plumbing firms are 1 man or small team businesses where the boss has moved from being hands on to the managerial side of the business.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 9th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 1,171 Posts
    • 1,205 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:26 PM
    I'm not in the building trade but I too am trying to get into management. For me I'd say you need some patience, because many companies want someone who has already had experience of being a manager, they don't want to take the chance on someone who doesn't have demonstrable experience.
    Why not go on some job websites, look at the descriptions of jobs you would like and identify the gaps? If you can do a course in supervisory skills, team leading etc that could help. Experience of budgets, training and of course IT skills. Most management roles require this regardless of the trade you are in.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 9th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    As a new manager I'd say its well worth it, the rush you get after chairing your first meeting and being the focal point is amazing. I dont know about trades but id imagine it would be easier to start your own company and hire people.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 9th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 6,229 Posts
    • 4,753 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    I think my strong background in construction will benefit me and my employer but I honestly don't know where to start.
    Originally posted by Jdownes89
    Surely the place to start is to put this to your employer.

BTW a strong trade background does not mean a good manager, if worked with enough of them in the past.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    • 18,431 Posts
    • 14,144 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:49 PM
    It's not clear what your work situation is at the moment, are you employed as a plumber, self employed, unemployed?

One thing to consider if you're not already self employed would be to start your own company, work hard at building it up for the next few years, take on more staff to actually do the work, then spend your time running the company.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 10th Jul 17, 8:13 AM
    • 2,201 Posts
    • 3,079 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:13 AM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:13 AM
    I don't think 27 is too young to be thinking about the physical demands of the job. The OP is likely to have been in the trade 10 years - certainly long enough to know that his body isn't indestructible. And getting into management takes time, so it's wise to start thinking how to go about it.

To progress, as others have said, you could work on your own account and start to take on apprentices, sub-contractors, oversee larger projects and so on. Or think outside the box - what about working towards management in other related areas - supply of building materials, manufacture of building materials, regulation of the industry.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

394Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin