Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bhav12
    • By Bhav12 9th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bhav12
    Home extension - When do I need building regulation after planning approval?
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:29 PM
    Home extension - When do I need building regulation after planning approval? 9th Jul 17 at 3:29 PM
    Hi there,
    I am new to the forum but I am looking to get a home extension.
    I am a bit confused on when i need to apply for the building regulation permit?

Is this after I get planning approval?

I'm trying to understand the whole process.
Page 1
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 9th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    Any time after planning is granted and BEFORE you start work.
    • lwhiteman88
    • By lwhiteman88 9th Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    lwhiteman88
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:14 PM
    If you are doing your extension without an architect or other professional ensure you get a reputable/knowledgeable builder to do the works as they should be able to guide you through the process and ensure things are done in accordance with the building regulations.

As ProDave has already said wait until you have approval before informing Building Control. If you are twiddling your thumbs, start getting quotes for structural calculations as you will need this when applying to building control. Also start speaking to builders as the good ones are normally busy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

1,953Users online

Martin's Twitter