Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 9th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    • 8,010Posts
    • 26,688Thanks
    fairy lights
    Important announcement
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:45 PM
    Important announcement 9th Jul 17 at 1:45 PM
    I've just eaten a slice of Aldi brand malt loaf and can confirm that it was NOT a suitable substitute for Soreen. It was dryer, less fruity, generally less squidgesome.
    I know many of you are keen cake eaters, and following last weeks heated malt loaf debate in Discussion Time, it's a subject that has been on many of our minds, as well as in our stomachs.
    Money saving can be taken too far sometimes and some things are really not worth scrimping on - if I can save just ONE person from a disappointing tea time experience with this message then my own suffering will all have been worth it.
Page 1
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 9th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 13,475 Posts
    • 52,980 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:19 PM
    Thank you for sacrificing your taste buds fairy lights in making that experiment. While this is a money saving site I quite agree there is a line that shouldn't be crossed on some things, Soreen is now obviously on that list.
    “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
    • colinw
    • By colinw 9th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 49,871 Posts
    • 136,420 Thanks
    colinw
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    In years to come the Soreen eaters of the UK will erect a statue to you and your epic deeds will be talked of and echo down the ages.....

Last edited by colinw; 09-07-2017 at 2:37 PM.
    • tommix
    • By tommix 9th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 35,311 Posts
    • 142,138 Thanks
    tommix
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    Same with Aldi Garibaldi..Most of their products are cheap imitations of the real thing..Apart form pickled cucumbers or 'Salzgurke'.

The Germans are renowned for their cucumbers..
    • Annie35
    • By Annie35 9th Jul 17, 3:12 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Annie35
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:12 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:12 PM
    this truly is important information, i do agree sometimes things are an economy to far..like tesco own brand laundry liquid for instance
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 9th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    • 4,109 Posts
    • 8,695 Thanks
    minimad1970
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    Thank you, you've saved me from buying the Aldi one. My dad loves malt loaf and I was going to get him an Aldi one to try, so well done, you've saved an elderly man from this awful experience
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 6,577 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    We bought some Aldi mayonnaise yesterday. It was horrible

To make up for it I made some ice cream with proper ingredients i.e. Eggs, cream, real vanilla etc. It was divine
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    • 28,812 Posts
    • 105,388 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 6:47 PM
    I can confirm that I have never found any other malt loaf that is as malty and squidgy as Soreen.

My other pet grouse is sticky toffee pudding. I once had one in a garden centre cafè that was sublime. However, .I have yet to find a shop one that isn't incredibly sickly and under-toffeed.
    And sometimes they have far too much sauce, and sometimes not enough. The sauce to pudding ratio is crucial, you know.
    I have tried Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Asda, M&S and various cafès to no avail.
    Last edited by Pyxis; 09-07-2017 at 6:51 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 9th Jul 17, 10:13 PM
    • 2,961 Posts
    • 4,470 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:13 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 10:13 PM
    I've just eaten a slice of Aldi brand malt loaf and can confirm that it was NOT a suitable substitute for Soreen. It was dryer, less fruity, generally less squidgesome.
    I know many of you are keen cake eaters, and following last weeks heated malt loaf debate in Discussion Time, it's a subject that has been on many of our minds, as well as in our stomachs.
    Money saving can be taken too far sometimes and some things are really not worth scrimping on - if I can save just ONE person from a disappointing tea time experience with this message then my own suffering will all have been worth it.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    Thankyou for your services to malt loaf lovers everywhere, thankfully due to you its Soreen all the way in this household. You are a hero.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 9th Jul 17, 10:20 PM
    • 7,122 Posts
    • 13,021 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    On the subject of cakes, Aldi's Holly Lane range - most of the lines are made by Mr Kipling. Same font and layout of best before date batch code into and come in the same cranberry red inner trays.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 10th Jul 17, 1:53 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    We all wish the OP a speedy recovery.
    • hunters
    • By hunters 10th Jul 17, 7:06 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 1,799 Thanks
    hunters
    More importantly how can a loaf be a cake.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 10th Jul 17, 7:19 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 6,577 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I can confirm that I have never found any other malt loaf that is as malty and squidgy as Soreen.

My other pet grouse is sticky toffee pudding. I once had one in a garden centre cafè that was sublime. However, .I have yet to find a shop one that isn't incredibly sickly and under-toffeed.
    And sometimes they have far too much sauce, and sometimes not enough. The sauce to pudding ratio is crucial, you know.
    I have tried Sainsbury's, Waitrose, Asda, M&S and various cafès to no avail.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    When my little cat goes to cat heaven I will get 2 cats from Cats Protection/Blue Cross. What perfect names - Malty and Squidgy
    • Merlinthewise
    • By Merlinthewise 10th Jul 17, 7:22 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    Merlinthewise
    Isn't Sticky Toffee Pudding an unusual name for your pet grouse?
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 10th Jul 17, 7:27 AM
    • 28,812 Posts
    • 105,388 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Isn't Sticky Toffee Pudding an unusual name for your pet grouse?
    Originally posted by Merlinthewise

Very good!

You're so right!

But then I do go in for strange names!
    I once had a pheasant called For Pluck's Sake, a quail called Shiver Me Timbers, and a partridge called Conference.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Jul 17, 8:52 AM
    • 22,286 Posts
    • 57,137 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Lidl's Gellati is better than the original Solero, yummy.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 10th Jul 17, 10:28 AM
    • 8,010 Posts
    • 26,688 Thanks
    fairy lights
    We all wish the OP a speedy recovery.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    Thanks Geoff, I'm doing ok. I'd also bought some Aldi-version Mars bars which have helped me get over the Malt loaf.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 10th Jul 17, 6:09 PM
    • 10,445 Posts
    • 23,425 Thanks
    Tarry
    Thanks for the warning
    I do like Aldis and Lidl.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 10th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 1,881 Posts
    • 7,948 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    There's a thread on the Food Shopping board that you should post this information on, it would be helpful to Aldi shoppers.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 2338.5
    This week 87.8
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,738Posts Today

8,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin