Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 9th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    • 995Posts
    • 686Thanks
    m0bov
    Contract Gardners dumped cuttings next to my property (leasehold)
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    Contract Gardners dumped cuttings next to my property (leasehold) 9th Jul 17 at 1:28 PM
    Hi guys, before I fire off an e-mail I just wanted to see what the MSE collective think.

I own a share of freehold house, with communual lawns at the front and a comunual border around the edge. The gardners cut the ivy and other follage and then pile it up next to my wall. Its outside my garage(townhouse).

This was first flagged up when I had a pre purchase survey and was cleared away. They have just done some work and yet again dumped the cuttings there.

Some pics. https://goo.gl/photos/dm1yDKmVfKwEq57w9

I have a share in the freehold, the RMC and they sub it out to an MA who engage the gardners.

Should I have a right to see what the gardening contract is? Is it resonable to expect the gardners to remove waste? Does the issue look bad to you? I am concerned about the smell, vermin and damp ingress. I want to clarify from you all what I should be able to expect and demand before I start asking them.

Is it resonable to tell them I want it cleared in 7 days or I will have it cleared and bill the freehold for it?

The outcome I want is for the gardners to clear all the waste and not tip it there in future. I would be taking it up directly with the directors (who live a few doors away and are aware of the previous problems).

Thanks for any advice.
Page 1
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 9th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    Doesnt look much, I would just put it in the bin and enjoy the rest of my day. Yes they should have taken with,but you could probably have placed it in the bin in less than the time you spent writing the above.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 9th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    Yes I think we do have some green waste bins, I could pull one round and do it. Fair comment.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Jul 17, 5:32 PM
    • 40,144 Posts
    • 45,853 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:32 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:32 PM

I have a share in the freehold, the RMC and they sub it out to an MA who engage the gardners.

Should I have a right to see what the gardening contract is? Is it resonable to expect the gardners to remove waste? Does the issue look bad to you? I am concerned about the smell, vermin and damp ingress
    Originally posted by m0bov
    I would imagine yes. Write to the MA with a copy to the RMC asking if the contract includes removal of waste, and ask to see a copyy of the contract.

Yes it's reasonable, and most contracts like this would include removal. However businesses have to pay when they take waste to the council tip (householders usually free) so my guess is they are trying to save themselves that cost.

No the issue does not look bad - but I'd still follow up.

I doubt garden waste will smell.

It may attract wildlife as a hidihole for nesting (hedgehogs etc and yes, possibly rats though they'd want a food source too, which garden cuttings on their own won't provide.

If it is piled up against an external wall of the building, breaching the damp proof course, yes in time it could cause penetrating damp.

And if the answer comes back that the contractors are not being paid to remove waste, then I would raise this as an issue with the MA/RMC and seek to either arrange for waste removal in future, or for waste to be left in a suitable position to rot down as compost.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 9th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    The chances are the contract includes them removing the waste. It's NOT reasonable of them to leave it on site or for you to put it in your own bin. They have factored a charge for removal each visit. This is a contractor trying to cut corners. It's unprofessional and I'd be furious and embarrassed if my staff did this.

You should have the right to see the gardener's communications with the managing agent, including quote and contract/specification.

I am a garden contractor by the way.
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 9th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 995 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    Cheers for all the replies. I cleared most of the recent foliage (as suggested above), I found green waste bins they used which were all full so pilled it up. I sent a note to the directors saying if it happens again they will be billed for a clean up.

Shortly after they came round to see it, agreed it was not right and will deal with it. So, hopefully all sorted!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,433Posts Today

9,281Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin