Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • auldblerk
    • By auldblerk 9th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 503Posts
    • 280Thanks
    auldblerk
    Deferred pension question
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    Deferred pension question 9th Jul 17 at 1:11 PM
    I am 55 year old and have a deterred pension, is it possible to take a percentage of the lump sum.
    Been to google etc but not much information out there about this.
    Hope somebody here can help me with this.
    Cheers.
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:21 PM
    Depnds on the pension. Who is it with, is it DB (final salary) or DC (money purchase), what is your NRA (normal retirement age), etc etc etc
    • auldblerk
    • By auldblerk 9th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    auldblerk
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    I would receive a lump sum and a pension at the age of 60
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:27 PM
    Still not enough information - this could still be either a DB or a DC scheme.

If it's a DB scheme then, depending on the scheme rules, you may be able to access (reduced) benefits from 55, but it's highly unlikely that you'd be able to take just a bit now and leave the rest for later.

It would really help if you could post the name of the pension scheme and the date you left - otherwise we will be doomed to going round in circles !
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 9th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 22,013 Posts
    • 12,695 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    You have a deferred defined benefits pension?

If so, and you are under Scheme Pension Age, you might be able to take your pension early with actuarial reduction.

This would probably give you the facility to take a Pension Commencement Lump Sum but would also entail your taking the regular monthly pension.

You should consult your scheme booklet and the administrators of your scheme for full details concerning your personal situation.
    • auldblerk
    • By auldblerk 9th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    auldblerk
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:03 PM
    Strathclyde Pension Fund and I left in 2007
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 1,468 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:15 PM
    Strathclyde Pension Fund and I left in 2007
    Now we're getting somewhere!

That's the LGPS so, no, you can't take a bit of money now and leave the rest until later - unless you transfer these benefits into a private drawdown scheme, which isn't a decision to be taken lightly. You'd need to take (and pay for) independant financial advice - including advice on what effects this would have on your current entitlement to means tested benefits.

Otherwise, the earliest you can access this pension is 60 (as you left before 2014) and you would receive a one-off lump sum plus a monthly pension.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 09-07-2017 at 3:18 PM. Reason: typo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,942Posts Today

8,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin