Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 9th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    • 244Posts
    • 71Thanks
    Audaxer
    Views on an active multi asset fund as part of income portfolio
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:56 PM
    Views on an active multi asset fund as part of income portfolio 9th Jul 17 at 12:56 PM
    Hi there, I'm interested in the following Artemis Monthly Distribution fund as being part of an income portfolio:
    https://www.trustnet.com/Factsheets/Factsheet.aspx?fundCode=10FEB&univ=O
    It has a 60/40 equity allocation and seems quite diverse and gets good ratings on Morningstar and Trustnet so seems to tick all the boxes in my view.

Just wondering what you more experienced investors think of this fund and whether it is a good idea to include a multi asset fund like this in an income portfolio comprising mainly of single sector funds and ITs?
Page 1
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 9th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 6,481 Posts
    • 11,452 Thanks
    bowlhead99
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    Perhaps the question to be asking yourself is the other way around.

Do a bunch of single sector funds and ITs that you picked yourself have a place in an income portfolio primarily composed of one or two multi asset fund(s) which have allocations put in place by a team of investment professionals with access to lots of paid-for research and analysis?
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 9th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    Perhaps the question to be asking yourself is the other way around.

Do a bunch of single sector funds and ITs that you picked yourself have a place in an income portfolio primarily composed of one or two multi asset fund(s) which have allocations put in place by a team of investment professionals with access to lots of paid-for research and analysis?
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Fair point - I've picked the single sector funds and ITs and now considering this multi asset fund, but not actually invested yet as I'm currently awaiting funds to be transferred. As there is so much choice, I am doubting my ability to have picked as good a mix of actively managed single sector funds as a professional selected and balanced multi asset fund.

However many DIY investors on here have invested in a bunch of single sector funds, so why would they not be better going with a professional multi asset fund as well?
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 5,005 Posts
    • 4,756 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    However many DIY investors on here have invested in a bunch of single sector funds, so why would they not be better going with a professional multi asset fund as well?
    Originally posted by Audaxer
    We're all different, with varying ages, incomes, commitments, objectives, knowledge, attitudes to risk, etc, etc, so don't be overly influenced by what others say they've done and what they claim to have achieved by doing so!
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 9th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Audaxer
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:58 PM
    We're all different, with varying ages, incomes, commitments, objectives, knowledge, attitudes to risk, etc, etc, so don't be overly influenced by what others say they've done and what they claim to have achieved by doing so!
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Thanks. I have researched and selected single sector funds and ITs to give me what I think is a fairly diverse asset allocation. As it is for an income portfolio, I have included a few UK equity income ITs and one UK Equity Income fund, but I have ensured there is a spread of Large, Mid and Small Caps. I have chosen only one Global Income IT, but maybe I should add another. I have also included 3 bond funds - a Strategic Bond, Corporate Bond and Sterling Bond Fund. I have put them into Morningstar X-ray to check the Asset Allocation is around 60/40 as that is what I am aiming at, and that there is not too much overlap.

Does that sound a reasonable way of selecting funds and ITs as I'm beginning to doubt myself as I trust bowlhead's experience and views, and his post seemed to indicate I'd be better sticking with professionally managed multi asset funds?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,191Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin