Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • isofa
    • By isofa 9th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    • 5,963Posts
    • 3,001Thanks
    isofa
    Which is most secure, composite or metal door?
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:51 PM
    Which is most secure, composite or metal door? 9th Jul 17 at 12:51 PM
    Looking for a new back door which is hidden from view and therefore security paramount.

Which is more secure, a composite or metal door? Any recommendations for door and frame sets? Definitely don't want uPVC.

Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 3,083 Posts
    • 6,849 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 9:57 PM
    I have steel, composite, hardwood and upvc doors on my home. In terms of resistance to a brute force attack, my feeling is the steel door would hold out much longer than the others. Mine is ~70mm thick and was made by Hormann. Cost more than a month's wages though!
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • isofa
    • By isofa 11th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 5,963 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    isofa
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    We have an aluminium front door, which like yours cost a fortune 'secured by design' and all the latest security features; but wanted something a little less flash but still secure for the back!

• Grenage
    • By Grenage 11th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 1,067 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    Out of curiosity, of what are your window panes made?

People often get hung up on making doors incredibly tough, when an intruder could just put a window through with a brick.
    • isofa
    • By isofa 11th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • 5,963 Posts
    • 3,001 Thanks
    isofa
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:48 PM
    Out of curiosity, of what are your window panes made?
    People often get hung up on making doors incredibly tough, when an intruder could just put a window through with a brick.
    Originally posted by Grenage
    Most of our windows are tripled glazed in aluminium frames, so not quite so easy to break!

It's very rare that burglaries are committed by smashing panes of glass, far too conspicuous, snapping locks (basic euro cylinders the quickest target) or forcing cheaper uPVC doors seem to be the biggest concern of the police around our neck of the woods!

https://www.police.uk/crime-prevention-advice/burglary/
    Last edited by isofa; 11-07-2017 at 5:52 PM.

• MX5huggy
    • By MX5huggy 11th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 4,050 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    MX5huggy
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:40 PM
    When the police put in doors at work, with the big red key, it's never the door that fails it's either the frame or the fixings of frame when it's a composite door. So whatever door you have it's the frame and fixings that count.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 11th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    When the police put in doors at work, with the big red key, it's never the door that fails it's either the frame or the fixings of frame when it's a composite door. So whatever door you have it's the frame and fixings that count.
    Originally posted by MX5huggy
    I've never understood why the police don't just learn to pick locks. There's plenty of videos on YouTube. It would make a lot less noise, so the criminals wouldn't even know the police were breaking in.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Kiran
    • By Kiran 11th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    Kiran
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    Cheaper for them to rectify when they put the wrong door through too!
    Some people don't exaggerate........... They just remember big!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

271Posts Today

1,614Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin