Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elle may
    • By elle may 9th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    • 159Posts
    • 86Thanks
    elle may
    independant assessment
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:17 PM
    independant assessment 9th Jul 17 at 12:17 PM
    After my son had his pip assessment a few weeks ago and we were waiting for decision, we now received another letter saying we have to go to another assessment. When contacting them they said that the assessor report was not good enough and they were in the wrong and it had now been sent to an independant assessement for us to be assessed again.

This has got us worried, will this go against us or because dwp say they were in the wrong they will look on this in our favour. Never heard of this before. Usually you have to appeal if you think the report is wrong.
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    • 981 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:44 PM
    After my son had his pip assessment a few weeks ago and we were waiting for decision, we now received another letter saying we have to go to another assessment. When contacting them they said that the assessor report was not good enough and they were in the wrong and it had now been sent to an independant assessement for us to be assessed again.

This has got us worried, will this go against us or because dwp say they were in the wrong they will look on this in our favour. Never heard of this before. Usually you have to appeal if you think the report is wrong.
    Originally posted by elle may
    I've heard of people being sent back for another assessment after the first one. I've never heard of it being an independant assessment. As far as i know it's only ATOS or Capita that do these assessments, depending on which area you are as to who does them. It doens't mean it's good or bad though, it could mean anything. Have you had an appointment date and have they said who's doing the assessment? Maybe others have heard of this happening?
    • Diary
    • By Diary 9th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Diary
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    I've heard of people being sent back for another assessment after the first one. I've never heard of it being an independant assessment. As far as i know it's only ATOS or Capita that do these assessments, depending on which area you are as to who does them. It doens't mean it's good or bad though, it could mean anything. Have you had an appointment date and have they said who's doing the assessment? Maybe others have heard of this happening?
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Yes my husband had this, and the second, 'independant' PIP assessor is once again ATOS or Capita.

OP don't worry, it usually means the ATOS/ Capita report had so many 'inaccuracies' in it very clearly to the untrained eye. For instance the assessor said he can walk 100 metres when clearly from medical evidence he has no legs. That sort of blatant lying.
    Last edited by Diary; 09-07-2017 at 3:03 PM.
    • elle may
    • By elle may 9th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    elle may
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    Thanks for that. Son has Epilepsy and learning problems and it will be stressful all over again. I thought he was asking the right questions but he must have not put down what we said. olso he was interrupted by his phone and left the room to answer it ,which i thought strange. I asked what kind of nurse he was and said he worked on ICU units which i again thought what experience did he have to comment on my son's problems. Will i be allowed to see both report's to compare them.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 9th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 1,287 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:27 PM
    An aside really - ATOS Healthcare is now called Independent Assessment Services when it comes to PIP assessments.

This is helpful re assessments:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-pip-claim/your-assessment/

You should be able to see both reports.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

872Posts Today

6,587Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin