Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mutty_hc
    • By mutty_hc 9th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 229Posts
    • 11Thanks
    mutty_hc
    Gumtree sale advice - id sharing
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    Gumtree sale advice - id sharing 9th Jul 17 at 11:41 AM
    Hi All,

I am selling a camera on gumtree and the buyer wants to share photo id before they transfer their money.

I've never done this before, so wanted to check the issues surrounding sharing a photo of my drivers license id with them.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.
Page 1
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 9th Jul 17, 12:00 PM
    • 1,297 Posts
    • 1,026 Thanks
    bxboards
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:00 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:00 PM
    Gumtree is for face to face transaction only - this will be on your selling page.

Up to you if you do this, but there are warnings all over Gumtree about it being for in-person, face to face transactions.

Why people choose to ignore that site, and ask here is always a mystery to me!

If you do decide to sell remotely, only accept bank transfer.
    • Ting-Tang
    • By Ting-Tang 9th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Ting-Tang
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    I don't know why anybody genuine would ask you to do that but it smells a bit weird to me.
    I wouldn't if I was you.
    Last edited by Ting-Tang; 09-07-2017 at 1:26 PM.
    • Koa
    • By Koa 9th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Koa
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    Hi All,

I am selling a camera on gumtree and the buyer wants to share photo id before they transfer their money.

I've never done this before, so wanted to check the issues surrounding sharing a photo of my drivers license id with them.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you.
    Originally posted by mutty_hc
    Oh, you are so right to be careful of sharing personal information.

Why not post the image here first, and we'll check it out for you and let you know if it'll be safe to pass onto this unknown, possible purchaser?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    • 59,466 Posts
    • 42,170 Thanks
    soolin
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    OP is selling and appears to be expecting a bank transfer, which makes the buyers request for ID more understandable .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 9,588 Posts
    • 10,748 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    If the OP was to send a copy of their photo driving licence, the buyer would then have their bank account details, their full name and address, their date of birth and a copy of their signature.

Would anyone be willing to give all of this information to a random stranger they met in the street? because that is basically what they will be doing.
    • mutty_hc
    • By mutty_hc 9th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mutty_hc
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 4:17 PM
    Agreed - I wanted to check my inclination of *not* doing this was right.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    • 59,466 Posts
    • 42,170 Thanks
    soolin
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 5:23 PM
    Agreed - I wanted to check my inclination of *not* doing this was right.
    Originally posted by mutty_hc
    You might need to consider taking paypal then to reassure the buyer or make an attempt to deal face to face.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • tomvox
    • By tomvox 9th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    tomvox
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 7:20 PM
    This is Gumtree. The only safe way to transact is Cash on Collection. Anything else is ludicrous.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 9th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 15,520 Posts
    • 11,308 Thanks
    hollydays
    How much money are we talking about
    • GabbaGabbaHey
    • By GabbaGabbaHey 9th Jul 17, 8:38 PM
    • 850 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    GabbaGabbaHey
    If the OP was to send a copy of their photo driving licence, the buyer would then have their bank account details, their full name and address, their date of birth and a copy of their signature.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    When you buy something which will be delivered, and you pay by cheque, you provide everything there apart from your date of birth.

But of course your birth certificate (if you were born in England or Wales) is available to anybody who wants a copy for £9.25.

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate
    Philip
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 9th Jul 17, 10:27 PM
    • 9,588 Posts
    • 10,748 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    When you buy something which will be delivered, and you pay by cheque, you provide everything there apart from your date of birth.
    Originally posted by GabbaGabbaHey
    Everything apart from your date of birth, a copy of your photograph and your full driving licence number.
    Also, when you send a cheque to someone you will have their address whereas in the case in hand, if the information is sent via e-mail, it may well be going to an almost untraceable person.
    Another difference is that when that cheque is cashed, there is a very easily traceable route for the authorities to follow should the need arise.

As to obtaining someone else's birth certificate.
    Unless you have a DOB for that person or know exactly where they were born, I can't imagine that getting hold of a certificate would be straightforward.

I still maintain that sending your bank details along with the amount of info shown on a driving licence to a totally unknown and possibly totally untraceable person who may well not be who they say they are or not even in the UK is far from sensible.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 10th Jul 17, 11:05 AM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Well I think the conversation digresses from what is sensible to what is feasible.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,498Posts Today

8,578Users online

Martin's Twitter