Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • f.akhtar
    • By f.akhtar 9th Jul 17, 11:16 AM
    • 25Posts
    • 12Thanks
    f.akhtar
    Compensation from Birmingham city council repairs team
    • 9th Jul 17, 11:16 AM
    Compensation from Birmingham city council repairs team 9th Jul 17 at 11:16 AM
    Hi ,
    If anyone can help and advice me here
    We moved in this property last year in January, since my boiler been leaking. now it got fixed a 2 months ago but they drove me crazy. I wasn't been able to use my worktops nigther we can bath with cold water for all that time. I kept my toaster and kettle further away where the boiler was leaking. One day when i woke up in the morning i went to the kitchen and shocked the water all over the place and my kettle broke down, for that i claim compensation but they are saying why haven't i moved my appliance while my boiler was leaking and they can not give me a compensation. I can not keep my kettle in my living room i have 4 year old daughter and it wasn't a few days when the boiler was leaking it was more then a year. Thank GOD my washing machine is fine which is straight under the boiler but i kept my kettle and the toaster further away but the water leaked was heavy thats why it went all the way to everywhere.
    Its very frustrating
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 18,777 Posts
    • 14,485 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    Speak to your councillor. Although without knowing the layout of your kitchen it's impossible for us to comment on whether the repair team that you should move the kettle and toaster is a sensible one or not.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 42,339 Posts
    • 49,186 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:04 PM
    Sounds like an over-the-top reaction.

It's a kettle. They cost £5.

And it's common sense not to leave an electrical item beneath/next to a leak.

Glad you got your boiler sorted though. You must be very pleased.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 7,318 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    Would a bowl or a bucket have helped the situation?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 9th Jul 17, 2:41 PM
    • 5,584 Posts
    • 4,987 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:41 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 2:41 PM
    but they are saying why haven't i moved my appliance while my boiler was leaking and they can not give me a compensation. I can not keep my kettle in my living room i have 4 year old daughter and it wasn't a few days when the boiler was leaking it was more then a year. Thank GOD my washing machine is fine which is straight under the boiler but i kept my kettle and the toaster further away but the water leaked was heavy thats why it went all the way to everywhere.
    Originally posted by f.akhtar
    compensation for what?

you say the washing machine directly under the leaking boiler was not affected yet you claim a kettle was?

their response seems very reasonable - you should have moved the kettle. After all water drips down, for it to have destroyed your kettle and toaster means it must have formed a puddle that was deep enough to get to the electrical contacts of the kettle. Seems rather unlikely
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 15,768 Posts
    • 14,061 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    Sounds like an over-the-top reaction.

It's a kettle. They cost £5.
    Originally posted by G_M
    I'd agree with that, but...
    And it's common sense not to leave an electrical item beneath/next to a leak.
    ...re-reading the OP, I believe they did move the kettle and toaster - but one night, the leak was much worse, and spread to where they'd been relocated to.
    • f.akhtar
    • By f.akhtar 9th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    f.akhtar
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    It cost £40
    It wasn't under the boiler it was further away wher the only place i felt it will be safe from the leakage and could be use to make tea as i said i have 4 years old can't use it somewhere that not safe for her too. yes we do drink tea three or four times a day. Your comment isn't helpful
    • f.akhtar
    • By f.akhtar 9th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    f.akhtar
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    Thanks
    Two bowls wer under there
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Jul 17, 3:43 PM
    • 15,768 Posts
    • 14,061 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:43 PM
    • 9th Jul 17, 3:43 PM
    You could, of course, empty the kettle after making tea. That would make the kettle safe to leave within reach of your child elsewhere. Or simply place it out of the child's reach.
    • f.akhtar
    • By f.akhtar 9th Jul 17, 3:45 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    f.akhtar
    Lol
    The kettle was on the worktops no woder how it broke down with water but ther isn't any puddle on my worktops thanks
    • f.akhtar
    • By f.akhtar 9th Jul 17, 3:47 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    f.akhtar
    How can you keep doing this for such a long time
    • f.akhtar
    • By f.akhtar 9th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    f.akhtar
    Would you suggest me to remove my washing machine what would you do if this situation comes to you for nearly 2 years ???
    • f.akhtar
    • By f.akhtar 9th Jul 17, 3:52 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    f.akhtar
    Thanks
    Your comment is very positive thanks
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Jul 17, 5:17 PM
    • 42,339 Posts
    • 49,186 Thanks
    G_M
    Your comment is very positive thanks
    Originally posted by f.akhtar
    You're welcome.

My comments are always meant to be positive, even when they don't support the psition a poster has originally taken, or provide a solution they hope for.

So I'm glad you took it positively.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    • 18,777 Posts
    • 14,485 Thanks
    agrinnall
    You're welcome.

My comments are always meant to be positive, even when they don't support the psition a poster has originally taken, or provide a solution they hope for.

So I'm glad you took it positively.
    Originally posted by G_M
    Tee hee!

PS To the OP, it would be a good idea if you learned to use the Quote button.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 9th Jul 17, 10:35 PM
    • 4,918 Posts
    • 6,888 Thanks
    deannatrois
    It is possible you could get compensation for the delay in making proper repairs as long as you can prove you asked and asked (preferably in writing) for the repairs to be made, making an accurate report of the symptoms.

However you might have to seek legal advice to do this, which could be costly. You also need to exhaust your rights to complain. You might need help with this given the standard of writing in your posts (meant kindly). The CAB might be willing to help, or Shelter.

Seek advice on what compensation you have a right to ask for, if its for direct losses only, it probably isn't worth it for a £40 kettle. I'm sorry but my kettles are always less than £20. If you can buy one, you can buy another.

Getting legals involved to bring a council to court for repairs, or a lack of, is always a very long and difficult process. I've seen reports of a decade for very very bad damp issues that weren't remedied. A leak wouldn't do any better. I'm not saying its right, but it is the position we are in and you need to ask yourself if the hassle is actually worth it. Councils, I am afraid just laugh at these cases.
    • f.akhtar
    • By f.akhtar 9th Jul 17, 11:55 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    f.akhtar
    So sad to hear that you have a damp problem too. I have a damp on my windows its very bad i clean them every week otherwise it gets to my blinds, never reported though.
    They have excuse to say no and we are helpless.
    • f.akhtar
    • By f.akhtar 9th Jul 17, 11:59 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    f.akhtar
    You also need to exhaust your rights to complain. You might need help with this given the standard of writing in your posts (meant kindly). The CAB might be willing to help, or Shelter.
    That was the reason i posted my thread
    • f.akhtar
    • By f.akhtar 10th Jul 17, 12:02 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    f.akhtar
    Heeee heee
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 10th Jul 17, 12:09 AM
    • 4,918 Posts
    • 6,888 Thanks
    deannatrois
    If you have problems with damp, a dehumidifier will help as will keeping windows open. The cases lasting decades are not my own, but I have had problems with damp and been told the stock 'its down to your lifestyle condensation' in spite of keeping windows open and using a dehumidifier.

My central heating in that house was eventually replaced (and the radiators) so I could warm the house finally (couldn't before) and I bought decent insulated wallpaper to stop an exterior wall (probably without adequate insulation beforehand) from being so cold.

The mould was cleaned up, and never reappeared. In spite of living the same 'lifestyle'.

I've lived in a different council property for three weeks and am now facing dealing with mould again lol. At least I know what to do from the start this time. The way I look at it is I am paying less than half private rent for this place.., I will find a way to do the repairs I need to. At least, barring me doing something stooopid, its mine for the future, unlike a private rental.

Yes it would be nice if the council did more repairs and it wasn't such a fight to get them done, but they are a damn sight better than the private LL I had, who never did repairs and still expected a high rent and threatened me with eviction if I asked for repairs to be done lol. I know when I am better off. Its an imperfect world. We are all worse off (well us ordinary mortals anyway).
    Last edited by deannatrois; 10-07-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,477Posts Today

7,411Users online

Martin's Twitter